Right now Blackstar and gps-logger do somewhat different things, are both rather small and are both worth having on the BB.

If I were not "saddled" with a bike last weekend, I would have gone seeking a cache on San Juan Island, WA. At least, I checked things out and there were a few caches within a mile. But I logged the ride with gps-logger.
    05-22-09 12:21 AM
    Right now Blackstar and gps-logger do somewhat different things, are both rather small and are both worth having on the BB.
    indeed - Blackstar and GPSLogger are targeting a different use cases - even with the new "Bring me home/back" function of GPSLogger that did not changed at all - since you can't enter locations manually - GPSLogger only guides you to a location which have been previously visited by the user.
    05-22-09 01:36 AM
    I hope this will come with a help menu as it is pretty hard to remember all the KB shortcuts. Thanks.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    05-22-09 01:39 AM
    I hope this will come with a help menu as it is pretty hard to remember all the KB shortcuts. Thanks.
    that can be easily integrated
    05-22-09 02:20 AM
    Thanks. Looking forward to it in the next release.

05-22-09 02:22 AM
    If you are open to suggestions would it be possible to add the average speed to the details summary of previously recorded paths.

This is an extremely useful app. Thanks.

05-22-09 04:36 PM
    of course I am always open for suggestions... thanks for your valuable input!
    05-22-09 04:43 PM
    I gotta try this out when i buy my USb cable
    05-22-09 08:19 PM
    GPSLogger update to 0.5.6
    (don't get confused - 0.5.5 was never released)

What's new?
    * Timing View: Display elapsed time, current speed and � speed in a large font (e.g. for runners and cyclists)
    * Path details popup will show � speed
    * Details popup for location (in location loading screen)
    * Import of GPX-XML files from 3'rd party logging applications
    * KML-Export contain extra info for each location

What's fixed?
    * display of 'NW' heading

Installation & Update
    You will find the download link (incl. OTA) at the GPSLogger Homepage

Actually I just can recommend to all, that when you open a JAD via the browser (that you has installed previously) then you should always choose "refresh/reload" from the #Menu before you actually hit the install button. This is very important for the update to 0.5.6 since the package will now consist of 3 COD files (instead of previously two)

Matthias
    Last edited by emacf1; 06-09-09 at 03:25 AM.
    05-23-09 12:54 PM
    I am not sure if this was an issue addressed by .5.6 but in 5.4 the elapsed time is wrong but what is weird is that while the error carries over to the google-earth file, the elapsed time showed correctly in the gpx file when loaded into my Garmin Mapsource program.

Another issue - what TIME is being applied to the datapoints? The ride I just did started around 12:30 PM (Pacific Time (seattle) and ended at around 2:50 PM. The garmin points show a start time of around 5:28 AM and end time of 7:47 AM

My BB shows the correct time and TIMEzONE is (-8), is displaying the correct time in 12 hour format.
    05-23-09 05:17 PM
    I've been playing around with this...awesome
    05-23-09 10:44 PM
    I think the elapsed time is still recording incorrectly in .5.6. It seems to jump from 59 mins to 2 hrs. I have recorded a couple of paths over 1 hr and this has happened both times.

Other than that all seems good for me and thanks for updating the average speed request so quickly.

Cheers
    05-24-09 03:55 AM
    I think the elapsed time is still recording incorrectly in .5.6. It seems to jump from 59 mins to 2 hrs. I have recorded a couple of paths over 1 hr and this has happened both times.
    ... it might makes a lot of sense, if you could send me your gpl file in order that I can look into this issue...
    05-24-09 06:23 AM
    I am not sure if this was an issue addressed by .5.6 but in 5.4 the elapsed time is wrong but what is weird is that while the error carries over to the google-earth file, the elapsed time showed correctly in the gpx file when loaded into my Garmin Mapsource program.
    mhhh - actually did you pause during your recordings? - if so, then I just like to point out, that GPSLogger just calculates the time when the device is recording.

Another issue - what TIME is being applied to the datapoints? The ride I just did started around 12:30 PM (Pacific Time (seattle) and ended at around 2:50 PM. The garmin points show a start time of around 5:28 AM and end time of 7:47 AM
    my apologize - the gps always deliver GMT time - and I made the mistake, that I convert the time to local time when writing it into the KML/GPX -> this is wrong and will be corrected in the next release.
    Last edited by emacf1; 05-24-09 at 07:48 AM.
    05-24-09 06:25 AM
    I thought it might be a GMT time issue. (since I will be in Europe in less than a month, it will be correct (g))

I did NOT pause the recording. About 12 miles out (about 5 minutes of shopping) and 12 miles back. The elapsed time showed about 6+ hours in gps-logger's detail screen and in the google-earth report (inside google earth program) but the gpx file inside Mapsource showed the what appears to be correct (I don't know exactly) a bit over 2 hours elapsed time

You have done an outstanding job with this program
    05-24-09 08:50 AM
    I thought it might be a GMT time issue. (since I will be in Europe in less than a month, it will be correct (g))
    for sure the KML & GPX Export have currently a ZimeZone issue... (that is already fixed here) - but as far as I understand you it's the overall time calculation that's in your opinion wrong inside GPSLogger...

I did NOT pause the recording. About 12 miles out (about 5 minutes of shopping) and 12 miles back. The elapsed time showed about 6+ hours in gps-logger's detail screen and in the google-earth report (inside google earth program) but the gpx file inside Mapsource showed the what appears to be correct (I don't know exactly) a bit over 2 hours elapsed time
    Would you mind to send me your GPL file (eMail address can be found on the GPSLogger homepage/bottom)... since all my logs I have here seams to be "correct" - so it would be good to have these LOG files here on my side to be able to verify what is happening.

TIA
    Matthias
    05-24-09 11:26 AM
    ahhhh - finally it made click here on my side - actually it's not that the calculation of the duration is wrong - it's the formatting that goes wrong - as soon as you cross the 1h mark the duration display get messed up... *shame on me* expect a fixed version soon! [good news is, that all the data itself is correct]
    05-24-09 12:23 PM
    GPSLogger update to 0.5.7

What's fixed?
    * correct display of durations longer then 1 hour
    * correct timestamp information for GPX & KML-Export files (all GMT)

Installation & Update
    You will find the download link (incl. OTA) at the GPSLogger Homepage

Actually I just can recommend to all, that when you open a JAD via the browser (that you has installed previously) then you should always choose "refresh/reload" from the #Menu before you actually hit the install button.

Matthias
    Last edited by emacf1; 06-09-09 at 03:25 AM.
    05-24-09 01:07 PM
    Great, thanks for the speedy fix Matthias. Much appreciated.

05-24-09 02:38 PM
    Is the import feature for paths only or can I import locations also? If not, it would be nice if I could manually type in the coordinates, and if the locations list showed the distance to each location from where you're at.

05-24-09 06:07 PM
    ahhhh - finally it made click here on my side - actually it's not that the calculation of the duration is wrong - it's the formatting that goes wrong - as soon as you cross the 1h mark the duration display get messed up... *shame on me* expect a fixed version soon! [good news is, that all the data itself is correct]
    What I think this really means is that at my age, I should keep my trips down to times under one hour!!!!

I knew the data (internal had to be correct) because, as I wrote, Garmin Mapsource showed the correct elapsed time but not the Logger-detailed view and not the Google output. Glad you found the issue.

Just back from another trip and will load the newest version. On steep trails, the elevation gain is quite accurate.

As an aside, yesterday's bike ride was really weird - the gps readings must have been skewed by some anomaly. The bike trail was pretty level and suddenly I started to gain fast elevation from not far above sealevel to over 3,000 feet and then suddenly it corrected the values and it was if my bike and I went down a cliff. From 3,000 feet to sealevel in an instant! This was not a gps-logger issue but some odd gps thing, I'm sure since I've never noticed anything like that before.

I am looking forward to using this in europe and logging my hikes and climbs and it is great that I can store them to the card since I am very afraid of data COSTS ($$$$) when over in Europe.
    05-24-09 06:12 PM
    Is the import feature for paths only or can I import locations also? If not, it would be nice if I could manually type in the coordinates,
    Currently no import or export for locations is supported - we will see, IF this going to be changed in the future... [I am not want to write the next geocache application]

and if the locations list showed the distance to each location from where you're at.
    nice idea! - will be implemented in the next version for sure...
    Last edited by emacf1; 05-25-09 at 09:04 AM.
    05-25-09 05:09 AM
    I'd be happy if I could just manually type in the coordinates when creating a new location.

The Direction/Compass feature is also a little redundant. It would be better to have a Compass menu only, and then if a location is loaded, the Compass goes to Direction mode.

Also, an ETA would be good (distance/speed) to have on that screen too.

05-25-09 12:22 PM
    emacf1,

Thanks for ur GPS logger appl, I've installed and look great. (new version) and I often try to use gpslogger when I'm travelling.
    But I had little problem: after export file (KML) to my email, then I opened the attachment file (KML), the file is executeable to google map, when comp starting open the googlemap, its always appear
    'failed: parse error at line 27, collom 50' mismatched tag

I also try another save files, but always problem when opened it.
    could you please help me?

thanks
    05-29-09 02:55 AM
    ... I also try another save files, but always problem when opened it. -could you please help me?
    thanks
    Are you sure that you use the latest version ?

this should be fixed in "GPSLogger update to 0.5.4" -> see
    GPSLogger Changelog - 100% free Software for BlackBerry� Devices with OS 4.2.1 or higher
    Last edited by emacf1; 06-09-09 at 03:24 AM.
    05-29-09 04:36 AM
570 ... 910111213 ...
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD