Thank you very much for the quick reply and helpful information.
    02-26-09 05:22 PM
    So I recorded another GPS log on my way home from work so I could implement your directions above. I listed my email address for the Export as email function and I also set up my Export directory under SDcard/blackberry/documents/.
    After recording the GPS log and then hitting the stop recording button, I proceeded to the manage paths menu which at the top it says *Empty* since I do not have anything stored. I hit he BB key to bring up the menu and it shows the list to choose from. I hit the Export path via email and it gives me an "uncaught exception" error and then just exits out of GPSlogger. I then did the same thing and tried to choose "export path to filesystem" but recieved the same error message. Where am I going wrong here? Thanks in advance for any help.
    02-26-09 06:01 PM
    Tested the latest version. Works fine except that when I opened the gpx files in RoadTrip (Mac equivalent of Mapsource), my tracks shows a series of waypoints instead of the usual GPS tracks. There was one gpx file that would not even open.

The previous versions work and open fine with RoadTrip.
    02-26-09 08:11 PM
    my apologize - looks like, that I always make the second step before the first... in your case the first thing you have to to is to specify the "path recording" directory in the options... since that's the place where all data is stored... to find now the files (where they are might be stored, if no dir was specified, you might can use BBFileScout :-D

I guess the next Version of GPSLogger does not allow to LOG, if no Path-Directory is specified... That would have saved a lot of trouble...
    02-27-09 05:41 AM
    Tested the latest version. Works fine except that when I opened the gpx files in RoadTrip (Mac equivalent of Mapsource), my tracks shows a series of waypoints instead of the usual GPS tracks. There was one gpx file that would not even open.

The previous versions work and open fine with RoadTrip.
    It#s hard to test for me without this application Mapsource... the file I am writing is 100% valid concerning XML-Schema definition - of course I would like to double check that with a REAL-Application... so any FREE Downloads somewhere? [and I do not mean 'free UPDATE Downloads' - which I have already downloaded twice ;-) ]

What I could do is, that i am going to add again the "old" GPX Export as well (as some sort of experimental)

Matthias
    02-27-09 05:45 AM
    emacf1:

Please check you PM. Sent you the links.
    02-27-09 05:50 AM
    as I said - don't send me links of updates...
    02-27-09 08:14 AM
    as I said - don't send me links of updates...
    Yes, I know how to read.

If you could only have taken some time to download it, you will realize that it's the full app and not an UPDATE.

Oh well, I was just trying to help. It seems you don't need and want any.
    02-27-09 08:21 AM
    I know gps-ed also created a gpx file that could NOT be used by Mapsource. I would open it in another program, re-save and then it would open. I THINK that it was something about the FIRST LINE of the file. I think it could just be edited out. But let me save a log first today as I drive somewhere and report back in about an hour.

It could be Mapsource uses an older standard?????
    02-27-09 08:27 AM
    Yes, I know how to read.

If you could only have taken some time to download it, you will realize that it's the full app and not an UPDATE.

Oh well, I was just trying to help. It seems you don't need and want any.
    Please do not get me wrong here - of course it's appreciated - and of course I have DL it... [since I do not own a MAC - I DL the EXE] - and this EXE checks if a previous version is installed - and if not it cancel the installer.... [it's just now the 3'rd time, that I got a link to a "full"-Installer that turned out to be a update... so I hop you can understand my sort of frustration which had lead me to that comment - sorry]
    Last edited by emacf1; 02-27-09 at 08:39 AM.
    02-27-09 08:37 AM
    No problem man!
    02-27-09 09:26 AM
    emacf1:
    Please check you PM. Sent you the links.
    3'rd PM was the key - EXCELLENT!
    02-27-09 10:18 AM
    Hope it helps.
    02-27-09 10:26 AM
    my apologize - looks like, that I always make the second step before the first... in your case the first thing you have to to is to specify the "path recording" directory in the options... since that's the place where all data is stored... to find now the files (where they are might be stored, if no dir was specified, you might can use BBFileScout :-D

I guess the next Version of GPSLogger does not allow to LOG, if no Path-Directory is specified... That would have saved a lot of trouble...
    What would be a normal "path directory"? Can I just set it to record to my SDCard/blackberry/documents/ or is there another place that it should record to? I will set it to whatever you think is best and easiest to access. Thank you for walking me through this process. I like the application but just want to get it to a place where I can make use of it. Thanks again.
    02-27-09 10:36 AM
    I know gps-ed also created a gpx file that could NOT be used by Mapsource. I would open it in another program, re-save and then it would open. I THINK that it was something about the FIRST LINE of the file. I think it could just be edited out. But let me save a log first today as I drive somewhere and report back in about an hour.

It could be Mapsource uses an older standard?????
    Reporting back....

The version of Mapsource I'm using (windows based) 6.14.1 works with the newest gpslogger's gpx files that save MARKED points.
    02-27-09 11:22 AM
    update each sec that�s the fastest you can get from the API�

Honestly � the GPS-Antenna in the BB devices is not capable of doing the job you would like to do� the low sample rate is just one issue � I am myself some sort of involved into car/street racing for long time (participated in 24h endurance races and things like that) � it would had never came into my mind to rely on the BB-GPS-signal data in order to improve my laptimes (and get conclusions for the car setup)� the hardware is simply not suitable for this purpose and the result (what every you are going to code) will be not satisfying and even more it will come not even close to the data you can capture which such a MaxQData device� But I would not even rely on that data � my �Popometer� is much better ;-)

Matthias
    Too bad the API doesn't support faster sampling... that's what I was afraid of. Since you can buy GPS pucks that work via bluetooth and have 5Hz sampling I'd still love to find the MaxQData software functional on a Blackberry if the processor can handle it. Seeing as I can run the program on an outdated Dell Axim PDA, I would hope the BB could handle this.

And as far as providing useful data... You'd be surprised what you can tell from the information when formatted and analyzed. I can tell my approach to a corner and figure out if I'm braking early / late, how my acceleration out of a corner is, and obviously the line I'm taking in comparison to other times around the track. This sort of data is very useful, and combined with making tire / suspension changes I can see how the car reacts w/ data as opposed to my "feel".

As for straight out horsepower, etc... useless, but that's not what I'm doing.

Oh well... wish the BB could sample quicker, or maybe it can and the limitation is simply with the API?
    02-27-09 11:27 AM
    The fact that the software can record data at 1 second interval is enough and maybe more than enough for most applications.

I use GPSLogger to record tracks for use in our group's mapping efforts (garmin compatible maps) and the tracks it produce at 1 sec intervals + a GPS re-radiating antenna is considered as a gold standard. With my BB 8900, I regularly achieve a GPS accuracy of 0.80 meters.
    02-27-09 11:38 AM
    ok, I might be dumb here....hahahahaha

I loaded this on a curve 83xx for tmo

the program says "no data recieved yet...start "Path Recording"

now, I just read something about a GPS antennea.....

do I need to have a BB with a GPS antennea? so...will this program work with my 83xx?

and the lat and lon both say no data at the top of the screen

thanks

al

(this might be a good excuse to get an 8900!)
    02-27-09 01:57 PM
    So after a long period of silence I am happy to let you know, that there is a new Version of GPSLogger...

update 0.4.12 is available (minor):

What's new?
    • additional GPX export (Mapsource compatible) - this export contains not all the data that could be included into GPX
    • Once one Path-Directory is set (required for appropriate function of GPSLogger) you will directly jump to the option screen at program start (till you specify a 'Path-Directory'
    • reordered Options
    • BB-compatible way of preferences (no functional change)

Please note, that with the new Version your GPSLogger settings are lost (but ONLY the settings - your previousl recorded Paths are save!) - so once you will start GPSLogger you have to adjust your options - I am sorry for this inconvenience.

Get the latest version from GPSLogger Downloadpage

Matthias
    Last edited by emacf1; 06-09-09 at 03:26 AM.
    02-28-09 07:05 AM
    Thanks!

I just installed it. When I launched the app, it brings me to the option screen. I made my settings and when I saved it and exit, it hanged. I was able to get to the home screen but every time I try to launch GPSLogger, it doesn't want to. it remains open (Alt+Back button) though.

I just made a battery pull and I'll let you know what happens next.

UPDATE: It worked fine after the battery pull. When I exit the application, the confirmation window (Yes or No button) can only be pressed using the scroll ball and not by the return/Enter key.
    Last edited by amf14; 02-28-09 at 07:27 AM.
    02-28-09 07:23 AM
    a required battery pull does not sound very nice for a new start of an release
    02-28-09 08:41 AM
    I'm also locked up at the SAVE SETTINGS screen. No, not nice.

Also, I see (well, I saw), the opening PATH setting but further down you have the EXPORT folder - what is the difference between them?

Also, while the screen came back on the 8830 is acting funny. seems stalled in each screen I go to. I will reboot!

Edit - since no new messages in this thread I will add:

After reboot, it appears to be working.
    Last edited by F2; 02-28-09 at 10:48 AM.
    02-28-09 10:11 AM
    *SHAME* I confirm the problem with the "save" for the first time... actually I will working with high priority on a fix *SHAME*
    02-28-09 12:28 PM
    my appologize guys - I am so stupid!

update 0.4.13 is available (bugfix):

What's new?
    • You can start GPSLogger (for the first time) will be directed to the options screen and once you save you do not have to to a "battery pull" (since GPSLogger does not crash your BB-OS)

Please note, that with this GPSLogger Version your settings are lost (not effecting 0.4.12 users) - But ONLY the settings - your previously recorded Paths are save! - so once you will start GPSLogger you have to adjust your options - I am sorry for this inconvenience.

Get the latest version from GPSLogger Downloadpage

Matthias
    Last edited by emacf1; 06-09-09 at 03:26 AM.
    02-28-09 12:55 PM
    Hi,

Any chance of providing support for OSGB coordinates for Uk Ordnance Survey Maps ?

That would be so useful !
    02-28-09 04:58 PM
570 ... 45678 ...
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD