GPSLogger
    I would like to use the opportunity to present the first release of an application that I have written for the all BB with OS 4.2.1 or higher [successfully tested (by other users and myself) with 8100, 8310, 8800, 8820, 9000 & 9500].

It's a quite straight forward application, that is recording your movement with your BB-phone over time - this includes Elevation and Speed (and some more data).

The main motivation to write this application was first of all to learn how to program my new Blackberry (via RIM's Java API) - The main benefit (compared to a JavaME Midlet) is, that you have full access to the hardware (like the Filesystem) without any confirmation from the user. Of course this will restrict the usability of the application to Blackberry devices only - but well - I own now one - so I do not care ;-)
    The second reason for creating a own application was that I wanted to have a GPSLogging application without any kind of online access (so without any additional costs).

Of course I am looking desperately for feedback from other Blackberry Users (specially devices that I do not have tested) - your feedback is highly appreciated.

Features
    What you can do with GPSLogger:
    • Record your movement (as long as you take your BB with you) ;-)
    • Display current Position:
      • Longitude / Latitude
      • accuracy for Longitude & Latitude values
      • # of Satellites
      • current altitude (in WGS84)
      • current course/heading
      • current speed [� speed (if available)]
      • travel distance
      • travel time
    • While recording you can mark your current position and specify a Note for it
    • While recording you can pause & resume the recording
    • Copy your current location data [Lon|Lat|Alt] into the Clipboard to be able to paste it in a SMS or eMail (or where ever you like)
    • 4 different Main views:
      • Path View: 2D-View of Longitude & Latitude values
      • Elevation View: Altitude over time
      • Speed View: Speed over Time
      • GPS View: Longitude / Latitude / Speed / course in a large font
      • Switch between Day/Night Mode
    • Options:
      • Select GPSLogger Font Size:
        • Small (= BB Default Font Size/1.5) [GPSLogger default]
        • Medium (= BB Default Font Size/1.25)
        • Large (= BB Default Font Size)

• Specify the initial view of GPSLogger
      • Specify if the background should be always ON
      • Select NightMode Color Scheme [Yellow/Red/Green/Blue]
      • Specify the sample frequence (in which period the application will record the current position)
      • Directory on your BB device to which your Paths will be recorded (can be also SDCard)
      • Units in which the Data will be displayed (Metric/Imperial/Nautical)
      • Confirm Exit (default OFF)
      • Export Directory on your BB device
      • Specify the recipient list (when you have chosen eMail-Export) - separated multiple recipient eMail addresses by space
      • Export format(s): KML (GoogleEarth), GPX (+GPX MapSource compatible)
    • Load previously recorded Paths
      • Navigate with the trackball through your Path
      • Navigate with the Keyboard through your Path
        • a|s: Start Position
        • e|r: End Position
        • y/z|x: 15 Positions back
        • c|v: 1 Position back
        • b|n 1 Position forward
        • m: 15 Positions forward

• Load previously recorded paths into the Background (as many as you like) to compare the current (e.g. recording) Path with previously recorded Paths. [e.g. to compare your actual hiking or biking route with the ones you did in the past]
      • Export a Path to GPX/KML (depeding on your Settings) to the BB filesystem
      • Export a Path to GPX/KML and send it automatically by BB-eMail to a recipient (list) [recipients configurable in options dialog]
    • The exported KML files can be loaded into GoogleEarth and you can get a detailed view of your paths [download GoogleEarth]
    • The exported GPX file contains the following information about each recorded location (not all the info is included in the Mapsource compatible output):
      • Longitude / Latitude
      • Altitude (in WGS84)
      • Timestamp
      • Course/heading
      • Name of the Point (if it's a named waypoint)
      • # of Satellites
      • Accuracy for Longitude & Latitude values

Installation
    You will find the download link of the latest Version (incl. OTA installer link) at the GPSLogger Homepage

Additional Notes
    • Even if I own a Storm myself there is no TouchScreen support (yet) - but once there is a stable/complete version of GPSLogger there will be a Strom enhanced Version, that allows to browse though a recorded Path via the TouchScreen (instead of the Keyboard)
    • GPSLogger currently only work with 'JSR179 LocationProvider' compatible Devices (this is the Java spec.) - these are for sure all BB with build in GPS-Receivers (as long as supported by the provider) - but I have already feedback from people using the software with external (Bluetooth) GPS-Pucks (as long as they are activated before the application start)

Looking forward for your comments
    Matthias
    Last edited by emacf1; 06-09-09 at 03:19 AM. Reason: now www.emacberry.com
    02-07-09 01:41 PM
    Your app sounds promising. I'll give it a try.
    02-07-09 03:16 PM
    OTA install did not manage to connect to your web server. Downloaded zip file from Forum and tried to install via Desktop Manager. After picking your alx file it failed to install. Error displayed was is couldn't find the following dependency (none listed).

Ended up manually installing with JavaLoader and that worked fine.
    02-07-09 04:30 PM
    strange - a friend of mine owns also a BB-Bold (also Vodafone) and he had no problems with installing the app OTA ?! But fine that you solved the trouble yourself!
    02-07-09 06:20 PM
    Does this have a live display of Lat/Long info?
    02-09-09 05:23 PM
    Looks great - if there could be a screen with lat/long/speed in BIG font that would be fantastic!
    02-09-09 06:12 PM
    I will integrate a LON/LAT/SPEED (large font) view for sure... I can understand, that the current display of the data is way to small when you are on the sea...
    02-10-09 01:24 AM
    update 0.4.2 is available:

what's new?
    • Main views:
      • GPS View: Longitude / Latitude / Speed / course in a large font
    • Options:
      • Specify the initial view of GPSLogger
      • Specify if the background should be always ON
    Last edited by emacf1; 02-10-09 at 10:04 AM.
    02-10-09 09:39 AM
    Thanks-
    just dl OTA and installed fine
    any particular settings for the GPS?

inside at the desk but no joy yet.
    02-10-09 10:04 AM
    Is it because I have Verizon ?
    "locked GPS"??
    02-10-09 10:11 AM
    Is it because I have Verizon ?
    "locked GPS"??
    I am sorry but I do not know anything about this Subject (yet) - yes I am aware that there exists plenty of posts concerning Verizon and GPS - but I haven't followed this issue - GPSLogger reads the Data from the RIM provided JavaAPI - if this is disabled by your provider, there is nothing I can do about it (at least I am not aware of).

Sorry
    Matthias
    02-10-09 10:15 AM
    hi does this support bb8820?
    does it has the program where it tell u how to go from point a to b.
    does it has voice help
    bet i need spore map only..
    02-11-09 09:31 AM
    does this support bb8820?
    as long as the 8820 comes with build in GPS...

does it has the program where it tell u how to go from point a to b.
    does it has voice help
    well none of that is listed in the Features list - so... it's not a navigation software (yet)
    02-11-09 03:20 PM
    Looks good. I have installed it on my 8900 OTA. No Problems. Hope i can Test it tomorrow.

Danke dir und Gr�sse nach Rietberg.

Chris
    02-12-09 10:40 AM
    update 0.4.3 is available:

What's new?
    • Main views:
      • Switch between Day/Night Mode
    • Options:
      • Select NightMode Color Scheme [Yellow/Red/Green/Blue]

+ Bugfix:
    Leaving the options screen via ESC-Key and selecting the "save" option on the dialog will now save the options.
    02-13-09 03:10 PM
    Looks good. I can't wait to pick up my Bold and start using this app on my hunts.
    02-13-09 03:19 PM
    update 0.4.4 is available:

What's new?
    • Copy your current location data into the Clipboard to be able to paste it in a SMS or eMail (or where ever you like)
    • Options:
      • Instead of Exporting to the FileSystem the Exported files can be send by eMail
      • Specify the recipient list (when you have chosen eMail-Export) - separated multiple recipient eMail addresses by space
    • Load previously recorded Paths
      • Navigate with the Keyboard though your Path (updated key mapping)
        • a|s: Start Position
        • e|r: End Position
        • y/z|x: 15 Positions back
        • c|v: 1 Position back
        • b|n 1 Position forward
        • m: 15 Positions forward

Matthias
    02-14-09 02:26 PM
    Thanks. Downloaded and using.
    02-14-09 06:57 PM
    Just downloaded4.4 - 4.2 wasn't saving the file on my bold - this one seems to
    Thanks for writing it and making it available

Will this allow me to export a file, overlay it into google earth and have it tell me how quick I was going at a certain spot ?
    I would like to see the speed drift cars are going at the local track by gaffa taping a heavy polythene bag over my bold and onto the dash of the drift car - just to stop it flying round the car

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    Last edited by Echo63; 02-15-09 at 09:17 AM.
    02-15-09 09:15 AM
    Will this allow me to export a file, overlay it into google earth
    Yes - that can be done by the KML-Export...

and have it tell me how quick I was going at a certain spot ?
    I am sorry, but I am not aware, that Google Earth would support this kind of thing - all you can do/see is, at which time you where at which spot - but unfortunately you do not see the current speed (in GoogleEarth)
    02-15-09 10:21 AM
    update 0.4.5 is available (really minor):

What's new?
    Instead of configure in the option dialogue, if you want to export to the filesystem or to a eMail recipient (list) I have now added an additional "Export via Email" Item to the Path-Screen. So now you can select the export method by choosing the appropriate menu item.

Matthias
    02-15-09 12:03 PM
    What's next ?
    Actually to be honest, I am running shortly out of ideas, what else could be integrated into the GPSLogger...

Here is something I just can imagine to add (but i want to hear your opinion first, if you find this useful): You can enter a Location and then you will be directed into the direction of this location... This can be used for geocaching... but I have another use case in mind... Thinking about your friend owning also a BB with installed GPSLogger... in this case you can send your friend via GPSLogger & PIN-Messaging your location and then you can see how close (and in which direction) he is...

Yes I know there is now "Google Latitude" for this - but honestly it would come never ever to my mind to tell Google where I am moving around... So this possible new feature would be to share your location with your BB-Friend (to be able to guide him into your direction - so that you find each other in a crowded place).

Or do you have other suggestions/features that make sense to add? If not I do not mind, then my next project will be a FileExplorer or a AudioBookPlayer.

Matthias
    02-15-09 12:28 PM
    What's next ?
    Actually to be honest, I am running shortly out of ideas, what else could be integrated into the GPSLogger...

Here is something I just can imagine to add (but i want to hear your opinion first, if you find this useful): You can enter a Location and then you will be directed into the direction of this location... This can be used for geocaching... but I have another use case in mind... Thinking about your friend owning also a BB with installed GPSLogger... in this case you can send your friend via GPSLogger & PIN-Messaging your location and then you can see how close (and in which direction) he is...

Yes I know there is now "Google Latitude" for this - but honestly it would come never ever to my mind to tell Google where I am moving around... So this possible new feature would be to share your location with your BB-Friend (to be able to guide him into your direction - so that you find each other in a crowded place).

Or do you have other suggestions/features that make sense to add? If not I do not mind, then my next project will be a FileExplorer or a AudioBookPlayer.

Matthias
    sounds cool i put it on my pearl just have not played with it yet.i am glad its offline so i wont get hit on my bill . i like the idea of tracking your buddys keep up the good work
    02-16-09 05:38 AM
    First and foremost, thank you very much for your time and efforts in making this available.

I d/l'ed and installed on a 9530 Storm (Verizon, v4.7.0.75) and get "NO DATA" and "# Sat:0".

I do have another GPS application installed (I won't name names ) that does 'link up', so my GPS settings appear to be correct. I would like to get this app working as it would be perfect to log my bike rides, view profiles and export them for future use.

Perhaps this has to do with "aGPS" being limited by Verizon and if an option to disable aGPS was available it would work?

Thanks again for your work on this and I hope I'll be able to use this application!
    02-16-09 12:59 PM
    Just wanted to let you know that the program does work with my Bluetooth Freedom 2000 gps unit on my verizon 8830.

Now with that out of the way - I guess some of this is inherent in the fonts installed on the device but, the top line of data is very tiny and actually with the bezel on the 8830, the RIGHT end of the data runs right into the side of the screen make ALT very hard to completely read. Since the 353degrees and V xxmph wraps to the next line, maybe the ALT value could also wrap?

Thanks for sharing.
    02-16-09 03:27 PM
570 123 ...
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD