Hi everyone,

My Torch GPS works great when I am outside, but when I am indoors, nothing! I don't even get tower triangulation in Google Maps. My GPS location settings are Location On, and assistance is disabled while roaming (and I am not roaming). Permissions are all set to allow for Google Maps.

Does cell tower triangulation work on the Torch? This is my first HSPA phone, so I was wondering if perhaps triangulation was a CDMA-only feature.

Any ideas? Is triangulation working for you?

Thanks!

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    10-06-10 06:38 AM
    For me Indoor GPS/triangulation is dependent upon the structure material. When I am home (wood frame) sat GPS can be spotty however tower triangulation works. When I am at work (metal structure and multi floors) the sat GPS doesn't work and tower triangulation is spotty.

10-06-10 07:20 AM
    If your phone can't see at least 3 separate towers, it won't be able to triangulate a location from it. As mentioned above, the building may be keeping one or more weaker signals from making it to the phone, including the gps satellite signal.
    10-06-10 07:27 AM
    Interesting. I thought that triangulation always worked, at least it did with my Tour, even if it meant my location within 1000m or even 3000m. Isn't one tower enough for a super rough estimate?

In any case, I have yet to see any triangulation since I have the Torch. It's either all or nothing...Wonder if I am missing something ...

10-06-10 01:28 PM
    Did you ever find a solution to this problem? I am having the same issue and have been looking everywhere to try to make triangulation work.
    12-14-10 05:00 PM
    MusicMtl,

No, triangulation requires three sources(tri). You can get a large area estimate with two. But it really needs three because it has no way of knowing direction, it uses signal strength to estimate. (Example, this signal is really weak but those two are strong, you are closer to those. That one is really strong so you are really close to it. Best estimate puts you about right here.)
    01-01-11 07:53 PM
    Thanks for all the info. I actually did see some triangulation when I was in the UK, on Virgin's network, however I still have yet to see it work with Telus in Canada. Might they have configured their towers to block this functionality?

01-05-11 09:11 AM
    I found GPS Tool by Tworoads Software for free on Mobihand. Previously no GPS software would see any satellites inside my office building. This one sees and locks in a few seconds. It doesn't do any navigation, only location, elevation, speed etc. It's a great free tool to test and for simple location fixes.

Last edited by trucky; 01-06-11 at 10:07 AM.
    01-06-11 10:02 AM
    Out of curiousity, I just tried my Bell Torch in my house and within a minute, Google Maps had my position to within 10m.checked the satellite view and it had me in the right part of the house! But since Blackstar picked up 5 sats, my phone was obviously not triangulating.

01-09-11 12:34 AM
    I switched from a Tour to a Torch recently. The Tour used to give location based on cell tower info when GPS is unavailable, which can be very useful. Eg., when inside a building, one can still use Google Map to search for nearby restaurants. Another example. I was in Texas and for some reason GPS was not able to lock while I was in a taxi. I could not get a general idea of where I was at all. Does anyone know if there is a fix planned? Thanks.
    01-31-11 02:45 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD