So, I was playing with my 8330 on Verizon the past few days. I'd upgraded previously to .138, but didn't like it, so yesterday I downgraded using the Jl_Cmdr to wipe it first, yada yada, and put new housings on it (it's blacked out now ). Last week, I'd noticed that if I turn GPS to Location on, it'd put a little symbol on the top. After reading on these forums (thanks people!) that it only works with BBMaps, and I'd taken it off since I used Google Maps for everything, I put it back on.

Well, I think I got one of those 8330's with the extra chip that someone said got around the lock. I don't have VZNavigator, but I was connected to 8 satellites yesterday, and 11 today.

I have to start GPS Navigation first, they won't find if I first go to "Where Am I" but it does work.

My set-up, if anyone wants to emulate what I have:
    GPS Internal, Location On
    BBMaps, GPS Navigation on (started).

Now if only I can get it to work with 3rd party apps (I know, it won't, it's locked out).
    05-19-09 10:06 AM
    I also tried my GPS after reading your post and was surprised to see it now works! I tried the Amaze app but it just says "no satellite reception". The blackberry maps works though. Now I'm going to have to get a mount for my dashboard.
    05-20-09 07:35 PM
    GPS will only work with VZnav and BBmaps.

http://forums.crackberry.com/f52/ver...30-gps-184814/
    05-20-09 07:40 PM
    is there any way to allow for the GPS to work for 3rd party apps?
    05-20-09 08:53 PM
    GPS will only work with VZnav and BBmaps.

http://forums.crackberry.com/f52/ver...30-gps-184814/
    Yes, but the fact that we're using it without buying VZNavigator means Verizon has very possibly unlocked the GPS for their phones. Or him and I are very unique and special.
    05-20-09 10:53 PM
    So, I was playing with my 8330 on Verizon the past few days. I'd upgraded previously to .138, but didn't like it, so yesterday I downgraded using the Jl_Cmdr to wipe it first, yada yada, and put new housings on it (it's blacked out now ). Last week, I'd noticed that if I turn GPS to Location on, it'd put a little symbol on the top. After reading on these forums (thanks people!) that it only works with BBMaps, and I'd taken it off since I used Google Maps for everything, I put it back on.

Well, I think I got one of those 8330's with the extra chip that someone said got around the lock. I don't have VZNavigator, but I was connected to 8 satellites yesterday, and 11 today.

I have to start GPS Navigation first, they won't find if I first go to "Where Am I" but it does work.

My set-up, if anyone wants to emulate what I have:
    GPS Internal, Location On
    BBMaps, GPS Navigation on (started).

Now if only I can get it to work with 3rd party apps (I know, it won't, it's locked out).
    I am confused. I don't understand your post. The GPS always worked with BB Maps. I also have always done exactly what you have stated, obtained satellites and found my exact location when I ask "Where I Am." I think that when people say that the GPS does not work, they are speaking of outside of BBMaps and VZ Navigator. The phone is still locked. If you try for example Google Maps, you can only get within a couiple of hundred feet...maybe I am missing something. I would love it if Verizon unlocked it's GPS feature.
    05-20-09 11:29 PM
    Yes, but the fact that we're using it without buying VZNavigator means Verizon has very possibly unlocked the GPS for their phones. Or him and I are very unique and special.
    My GPS did not work before and now it works...
    05-20-09 11:34 PM
    My GPS did not work before and now it works...
    Do you mean that you couldn't get GPS using BB Maps before? If so..that is very odd. You should have been able to get it. Now..if you can get Google Maps...not within a few hundred feet, but to the exact location...then I think that this would mean that your phone was unlocked. If that's the case, it seems to me that you would be able to use the GPS function on 3rd party apps....but what do I know
    05-20-09 11:38 PM
    I am confused. I don't understand your post. The GPS always worked with BB Maps. I also have always done exactly what you have stated, obtained satellites and found my exact location when I ask "Where I Am." I think that when people say that the GPS does not work, they are speaking of outside of BBMaps and VZ Navigator. The phone is still locked. If you try for example Google Maps, you can only get within a couiple of hundred feet...maybe I am missing something. I would love it if Verizon unlocked it's GPS feature.
    I never had it before, but now I do. Previously, it used to just say "feature unavailable" or something like that - I haven't tried in a few months, really. But I did this week and voila! Satellites found.
    05-20-09 11:39 PM
    I never had it before, but now I do. Previously, it used to just say "feature unavailable" or something like that - I haven't tried in a few months, really. But I did this week and voila! Satellites found.

I see...I've only had my phone since the end of December and I have always been able to use the GPS feature in BBS Maps. Verizon still has a lock on the phones outside of BBMaps and VZNavigator. Nothing has changed lately. I got excited for a minute!!! I really wish that they would fully unlock this feature. URGH!!
    05-20-09 11:42 PM
    Hi- Brand newbie here. I see the icon for the BB map, but where do I find the "GPS internal" to change to "Location on"?. Will the BB map show my location without vZ navigator? Have I just not seen an icon for navigation or is it something I need to download?
    Thanks
    05-21-09 02:49 AM
    In reference to not working, I don't believe it is a Verizon thing anylonger. I left the Cruve and tried a Storm for a few months and the GPS worked awesome, "your location" was usually within 3 meters using Google Maps. The navigation worked flawless.

For some reason, I can not get my Curve's GPS to work. My locaton will only get within 2900 meters. Any ideas?
    05-21-09 05:39 AM
    Hi- Brand newbie here. I see the icon for the BB map, but where do I find the "GPS internal" to change to "Location on"?. Will the BB map show my location without vZ navigator? Have I just not seen an icon for navigation or is it something I need to download?
    Thanks
    Options - advanced options - GPS - gps service
    05-21-09 05:54 AM
    Thanks
    Sorry, should have added set to "location on". Then, open bb maps and play around with it. I have found leaving location on all the time can drain the battery faster, so I leave it to
    "E 911" until I need it.
    05-21-09 06:18 AM
    In reference to not working, I don't believe it is a Verizon thing anylonger. I left the Cruve and tried a Storm for a few months and the GPS worked awesome, "your location" was usually within 3 meters using Google Maps. The navigation worked flawless.

For some reason, I can not get my Curve's GPS to work. My locaton will only get within 2900 meters. Any ideas?
    Are you trying with BBMaps or Google Maps? The Curve is locked still, so GPS only works with BBMaps and VZNavigator. If you're still getting that message with BBMaps, then try upgrading the software or making sure GPS is set to Location On.

Good luck, let us know if something else is up!
    05-21-09 07:16 AM

Been working for a while..... Since last fall.

Verizon Unlocks GPS for Curve 8330 & Pearl 8130 Users! | CrackBerry.com

http://forums.crackberry.com/f71/gps...-curve-108533/
    05-21-09 07:25 AM
    Thanks a lot. Found it.
    05-21-09 09:44 AM
    Here you go: http://forums.crackberry.com/f52/new...evices-208149/

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    05-21-09 11:07 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD