Whenever i load google maps, it says "gps not available."

But the program is constantly able to zero me in, despite the fact that is says "within 700 meters" and has this huge circle around me. the center of the circle is exactly on top of me.

Now I know that aGPS is disabled for 3rd party except verizon's nav program, but GPS shouldn't acquire as quickly as this does. what is giving the app my position??
    12-03-08 07:24 PM
    Now I know that aGPS is disabled for 3rd party except verizon's nav program, but GPS shouldn't acquire as quickly as this does. what is giving the app my position??
    GPS is not disabled for third party software. Google has not updated the googlemaps for the storm as of yet. The GPS will be fully available once they update it.
    12-03-08 07:27 PM
    yes, i know gps is not disabled to 3rd party devices but aGPS is. With that said, google maps is spotting my location despite the fact that the GPS is not fully functional on gmap program. How can Gmaps find me if a. the aGPS is disabled, and b. the regular GPS is not working in gmaps yet?
    12-03-08 07:31 PM
    yes, i know gps is not disabled to 3rd party devices but aGPS is. With that said, google maps is spotting my location despite the fact that the GPS is not fully functional on gmap program. How can Gmaps find me if a. the aGPS is disabled, and b. the regular GPS is not working in gmaps yet?
    GMaps is using My Location Beta which is a proximity of cell tower location. If it was using the standalone GPS or even the aGPS it would be accurate to within 3 meters or less.
    12-03-08 07:38 PM
    do u have to pay for bbmaps or is that free
    12-03-08 08:24 PM
    It all depends on the amount of towers available in your network. When I am in the city, my location is dead on. While, being home, my location is scattered.

EDIT:
    Yes, bbmaps is free. Make sure you have the data plan
    12-03-08 08:24 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD