I have a Curve 8310 on T-Mobil without a data plan.

Will the GPS work? .... and what application will work best?
    01-01-09 11:52 AM
    It will work, however anything like google maps or even blackberry maps will need data to download maps. Garmin may have an app that you can install the maps to a memory card (thus no downloads) but in all honesty, a blackberry with out a dataplan is like a swimming pool with out water...

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    01-01-09 12:28 PM
    i disagree. prior to adding the data plan, i could still use all features including gps and web/email, it was just i paid for the amount i used (like a normal phone.) actually in many cases this was cheaper then shelling out the 30 a month and would totally not have the data plan if i didnt need it for so much email.
    01-01-09 12:48 PM
    the storm is awesome in so many ways when will i be able to geocache with it. navigator is not good for geocaching and trimble outdoors does not have an app for the 95xx yet....help!!!
    01-01-09 01:00 PM
    GPS will work without data but the BlackBerry and Google maps won't. You might check out TrekBuddy for off-line maps.
    01-01-09 03:12 PM
    the storm is awesome in so many ways when will i be able to geocache with it. navigator is not good for geocaching and trimble outdoors does not have an app for the 95xx yet....help!!!
    You can use BlackStar, an app being developed by some members on this forum.

It's been designed with geocaching in mind, and has been tested successfully and works with the storm.

OTA download:
    http://tinyurl.com/gpsnav

If you want to follow developments of the app, check out the related thread:
    http://forums.crackberry.com/f41/app...ut-maps-20979/
    01-01-09 03:55 PM
    GPS does not depend on a data plan... but receiving the maps for the GPS does require data

Meaning : you will see a little dot for your GPS location, but the map of the area you are in will not be loaded because you do not have a data plan to load it. The GPS is working fine, but there is no map to display you location on.
    01-01-09 03:58 PM
    How do u download bb maps for att bb's? (I have 4.5 so I was told it will work now?)

01-02-09 06:23 AM
    Garmin may have an app that you can install the maps to a memory card (thus no downloads)

Garmin mobile is just like all the rest. It still requires a data connection to download maps.

How do u download bb maps for att bb's? (I have 4.5 so I was told it will work now?)

BB Maps on AT&T is even harder to get with 4.5 than it was with 4.2. In 4.5, BB Maps is controlled by a service book. AT&T sends a service book, but they somehow block it.

You can download an old version of BB Maps here and install it via Desktop Manager though.
    01-02-09 07:43 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD