06-16-11 03:13 PM
284 ... 34567 ...
tools
    Hey F2,

I asked the same question on the MGMaps forums. Apparently, they advised me to add to one 'master' MGMapsCache folder.

Every time you add to it, it overwrites the cache.conf file. However, as the cache.conf file only stores the centre of each zoom level (coordinates) and the map type that you are using, you should be able to combine???

Unfortunately, I am not sure, I may try this later today when I get home, and let you know.

SK

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    04-09-09 06:07 AM
    I'd appreciate hearing of your results.

I did a quick comparison but am not sure what it means. The files are more or less the same with some slight numerical changes. I have not loaded the maps to the BB yet. Just compiling them.

I might just get another SD card for this experiment - I could probably use it in my camera (with adapters) afterward. The SD cards themselves are too tiny and I certainly don't want to be swapping and losing them, plus my 8830 is in an Otterbox and opening it to get to the card is a major hassle.
    04-09-09 08:25 AM
    Can anyone help with zsone 16 maps.

They are only < 3kB in size, however when stored on my 8GB SD card it became 32kB. Therefore a mere 1GB map files on my computer (min size 4kB) became 8GB on my SD card and overload it. Is there anyway to solve it?
    04-10-09 10:51 PM
    I'd appreciate hearing of your results.
    I am happy to say that combining different MGMapsCache folders works. Here's what I did.

1) I downloaded a zoom level 16 map of the greater montreal area into a separate MGMapsCache folder which produced a GoogleMap16 folder and a cache.conf file.

2) I then naviaged to my blackberry's microSD card through windows explorer, and specifically, into the MGMapsCache/GoogleMap16 folder.

3) I copy and pasted the contents of my new GoogleMap16 folder into the existing GoogleMap16 folder on the Blacbkerry.

4) I confirmed all prompts.

5) I disconnected the BB, fired up MGMaps, and was happy to discover the new and old maps are available for viewing.

**** Fine Print ****

If you are using a Windows based operating system, the procedure will take a long time, to combine the two folders as a lot of small files have to be moved, so have some patience, or go grab lunch
    04-11-09 01:27 PM
    elty123 the reason for this is that your microSD card is formatted as FAT16.

Try reformatting it in windows as FAT32, name it BLACKBERRY2, and recreate all the BlackBerry folders currently on the card.

04-11-09 04:05 PM
    I created a Yahoo hybrid (terrain/road) yesterday added to my 12 and 14 google zooms and there are now 105,000 files. I have not attempted to move/copy it to the BB.

Yes, that was ONE HUNDRED and FIVE THOUSAND FILES!!!

But I guess this probably explains where so many of the gps mapping applications require a data connection - trying to store the maps and detailed maps is quite a task - getting them down to manageable size for DATA transmission must be a challenge.

The area I'm trying to capture is Northern Italy and Southern Austria. Might be just too extensive.
    04-11-09 04:37 PM
    elty123 the reason for this is that your microSD card is formatted as FAT16.

Try reformatting it in windows as FAT32, name it BLACKBERRY2, and recreate all the BlackBerry folders currently on the card.

It is already formatted as FAT32. FAT16 does not support card bigger than 2GB.
    04-11-09 08:14 PM
    and there are now 105,000 files
    That's it, I have 267,741 files in 1292 folders
    I know, probably excessive, but it's good to have detailed maps of wherever, I can possibly drive within my part of the world.

But I guess this probably explains where so many of the gps mapping applications require a data connection - trying to store the maps and detailed maps is quite a task - getting them down to manageable size for DATA transmission must be a challenge.
    I hear you, although with the price of MicroSD cards falling, it's becoming more reasonable to store some frequently used maps onboard.

Actually, the reason, why I liked the idea of GPS without Data, is really for two reasons.

A) If you are in a remote area, without a cell phone signal

B) If you are overseas, and would prefer, not to incur those roaming charges.

I created a Yahoo hybrid (terrain/road) yesterday added to my 12 and 14 google zooms
    I think you may run into a difficulty with this setup by combining them into a single folder, as the cache.conf file clearly identifies which kind of map you are using.

What I would recommend, is placing two folders on your MicroSD card, one labelled, MGMapsCache_Google and another one, MGMapsCache_Yahoo. This way, you'll be able to have two separate cache.conf files, without confusing the program. The only downside, is you'll have to tell MGMaps which folder to use, in the Stored Maps setting.
    04-11-09 08:20 PM
    FAT16 does not support card bigger than 2GB.
    That's true. For some reason, I was running into the same problem as you, whenever, I asked the Blackberry to format the media card. However, the allocation table problem was fixed, when I formatted the card in Windows via

Start - Control Panel - Administrative Tools - Computer Management - Disk Management - Delete Partition ... Create Volume
    04-11-09 08:25 PM
    I used mapcacher to get all of europe from google road maps with zooms from 1-16. After 1.5 days i stopped when it was 48% done on zoom 14 because it would have been more than a week to complete the zoom 15-16 levels that were at 6% and .08 percent respectively. When I stopped where I was, the cache folder ended up being almost 2 gig which isn't that bad considering how big the map was (i was using slow, full detailed maps).

The problem though was trying to move the folder to my sd card. Vista said 60 hours to copy the 2 gb file to the sd card! I then decided i'd delete that file and get several smaller maps to ease the transission from my pc to the sd card. When I trid to delete the folder though, VISTA just kept calculating the time it would take. After an hour it was still calculating. After 2 it finally said 72 hours to delete!

I gave up on that and ran del /s /h /w from a command prompt and was able to get the cache folder deleted in under an hour, but geez what a pain! If my quadcore with 4gb memory can't handle a file transfer like this, how is the blackberry going to be able to process the maps very well?

This was looking promising, but now it seems like more trouble than it's worth if I have to have several small maps just to be able to move the files to the SD card so they can be used.

Anyone else run into this problem?
    Last edited by bobbodavis; 04-15-09 at 01:35 PM.
    04-15-09 01:32 PM
    Yup, vista has an absolute panic attack when copying this many files. Don't worry though about the blackberry having hickups, as it only accesses a very few of them at any one time.

In the future, though, definitely don't stress Vista too much. As it seems, that you are comfortable with the command prompt, you may want to do a little

C:\> xcopy C:\Program*\gMapMa*\MGMapsC* F:\ /E

This is assuming your MGMapsCache folder is located in the gMapMaker subfolder of your Program Files, and your Blackberry is being detected as the drive F:

As for downloading all of Europe at zoom level 16, you will not have enough memory on your microSD card to accomplish this. I would focus on just the big cities for the level of zoom.
    04-15-09 07:10 PM
    Good to know! Thanks for the DOS assistance too! I always forget about xcopy. The "/e" is to ensure that all directories and subdirectories right of the MGMAPS cache folder are copied as well right?

One other question about mgmaps. What application security settings need to be allowed if you only want to use it with wifi? I don't have a data plan so the reason I want to use MGMAPS is the stored map access.

I'm beginning to think that if you have PHONE, LOCATION DATA, and/or INTERNET set to allow, you may get some backdoor data charges. I only have a prepaid card with no data plan and no APN settings turned on. However, I still manage to lose 9 cents here and there for some unknown reason and I think the connection settings on certain applications is the culprit.
    Last edited by bobbodavis; 04-16-09 at 06:41 AM.
    04-16-09 06:16 AM
    Mgmaps can use data to get the map of your current location so you have to set it to use map data on your BB. I don't recall the setting.
    04-16-09 08:41 AM
    Good to know! Thanks for the DOS assistance too! I always forget about xcopy. The "/e" is to ensure that all directories and subdirectories right of the MGMAPS cache folder are copied as well right?
    Not a problem, and yes, the /e switch is to preserve the source directory structure in the destination folder.

What application security settings need to be allowed if you only want to use it with wifi?
    Yup, here's how

MGMaps - Menu - 7. Settings - 7. Misc. - 4. Advanced - make sure that deviceside=true;interface=wifi button is checked on.

Then,

Menu - Save

Then,

Back - Menu - 0. Exit - Confirm you want to exit and save chanes.

Voila!
    04-16-09 08:18 PM
    Thanks! And on the blackberry side what permissions are necessary? Do you have to allow connections to the phone, data, and internet or can those all be set to allow and still work?
    04-17-09 09:47 AM
    The default BB permissions are satisfactory, and you shouldn't have to alter them.
    04-18-09 01:39 PM
    FYI, there is a version of MGMaps 1.41.18 for blackberry devices available now. You can't get it off of the normal MGMaps download page though for some reason yet.

However, if you go to the mgmaps forum it is posted a few different times and I don't think you even need to be a member to get it. I have it loaded and it is much better (so far). The track ball issue is resolved as it moves much faster/smoother and overall it appears to be faster. Also, you can configure the up, down, left, and right keys to any buttons you want. You'll need to do this because the up button still seems to be missing with the defaults. Last, I never was able to acquire a GPS signal with the other stable version, but am able to with this one - no problems. Definitely recommend getting 1.41.18 if you're still using 1.39.18
    04-21-09 01:51 PM
    Hi, the direct download link for 1.41.18 is in my signature.

Enjoy,
    SK
    04-21-09 03:37 PM
    Posting here to remind myself to comeback later and read sonni's instructions! =]
    04-24-09 10:10 AM
    Posting here to ask if everyone is certain that Verizon doesn't allow the use of the GPS for this and other apps that could use it.

And also: I saw where SK said to turn location aiding off, and to test for GPS usage by taking the sim card out. Am I correct?

It's be so nice to be able to exploit the freely available GPS satellites...
    04-24-09 03:11 PM
    SK said to turn location aiding off, and to test for GPS usage by taking the sim card out. Am I correct?
    Just to be clear, when you turn Location Aiding OFF, your position is reported back to you from orbiting satelites, and not from cell towers, that are operated by your wireless carrier. When you turn it off, your carrier has no way of knowing if you are using the GPS function, or not. To demonstrate the independence of one from the other, you can actually pull out your SIM card, and still receive your GPS coordinates in Lat/Long without connecting to any network.

It's be so nice to be able to exploit the freely available GPS satellites...
    Hey, we did pay something for the phone, so I think we are entitled
    04-24-09 06:38 PM
    hey sonni,

since your a torontian, i was wondering if you already made a map of GTA. i tried to create one through the website you addressed on the first page but the zone layers just throws me right off the map. it will be greatly appreciated.
    Thanks
    05-04-09 11:24 PM
    p.s right now i am sitting in my living room with your loaded map you posted earlier in the thread on my blackberry bold. how do i get it to show me the location on the map..i clicked on:

Setting--->Gps------>start gps-----> where am i

then nothing happens. is this the right approach?
    05-04-09 11:27 PM
    Here's another way to get free GPS without a data plan.

It can be done, don't let the $60/month users tell you it's not. Here are the step-by-step instructions for MGMAps. Enjoy,

OK, here's what to do

On your Bold

1) Go to - Options - Advanced Options - Location Aiding - Turn this to DISABLED
    2) Put in your MicroSD card
    3) Connect your BOLD to your computer via USB cable
    4) When the window comes up asking you whether to enable Mass Storage, say YES

On your computer

1) Make sure you can see your SD card (it will be listed as a removable disk drive)
    2) Go over to Map Creation Tool for MGMaps and follow the instructions to outline your custom map, I would recommend going from 0-16 (zoom levels), and SLOW and DETAILED level of detail
    3) Save your custom map on a dekstop or somewhere where you can see it, but becareful to save it as "mymap.map" with the quotation marks, and select All Files from the Save File As drop-box.
    4) Next click the link to download and install GMAP Maker www.mgmaps.com/cache/gMapMaker-setup.exe
    5) After installation, open GMapmaker, and press GO -> it will ask you for that mymap.map file you saved in Step 3
    6) Wait for the download to finish (this will take a long time)
    7) When everything is said and done, copy the MGMapsCache folder (located probably at C:/ProgramFiles/GMapMaker/) to your SD card
    8) Install the signed version of MGMaps Index of /projects/mgmaps/Blackberry using Windows Desktop Manager

Back on the BOLD

- Open up MGMaps, go to Settings - Maps - Stored Maps - and select Offline Mode and Stored Maps

There you go, now you can track your position for free, anywhere, free of charge. Enjoy my friends

hey

thanks for the great info, now for step 6 on the computer, how long is the long time? its been a day and its still going .. is that normal?
    05-05-09 11:18 PM
    hey

thanks for the great info, now for step 6 on the computer, how long is the long time? its been a day and its still going .. is that normal?
    I've pulled the "plug" more than once. I really don't know what is normal but I've also had it going and going. I think maybe trying to get too many maps or too much detail (zoom levels) just overwhelms the system. Also, it has also overwhelmed Vista in my case (discussed above in thread). Where the thousands of files were just too many.

In other words, I don't know the answer but it takes a long time.
    05-06-09 10:08 AM
284 ... 34567 ...
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD