The MGMapsCache folder, along with all the subfolders, and the cache.conf file should be located on the media card, but NOT in the Blackberry folder. By the way, how did you transfer the folder to your media card. Do not use the Desktop Manager interface. Instead use the Mass Storage mode, and transfer using Windows Explorer.

By the way, which maps did you download? Were they google, yahoo, or live maps? I know when I tried with Yahoo maps I had some problems, then, I switched to google maps and it worked.

By the way, when you are troubleshooting this, just try with a very simple map, and few zoom levels. Once you get this working, then you can move onto the SUPER MAP
    I opened the SDCard using the Mass Storage mode and I put the MGMapsCache folder in the very first folder you see (the home folder, where the only other folders in there are "Blackberry" and, in my case, "eBooks").

I downloaded google maps. I'll give it another shot with simpler maps. I'm only downloading maps of the GTA, otherwise it would take too long

Just to make sure, the settings for "Stored maps folder" should be: "SDCard/MGMapsCache" right? I don't need to specify whether its GoogleMap_0, or _1, etc etc?
    02-20-09 02:05 PM
    Just to make sure, the settings for "Stored maps folder" should be: "SDCard/MGMapsCache" right? I don't need to specify whether its GoogleMap_0, or _1, etc etc?
    Yup, the default setting should be fine.
    02-20-09 11:10 PM
    <<3) Save your custom map on a dekstop or somewhere where you can see it, but becareful to save it as "mymap.map" with the quotation marks, and select All Files from the Save File As drop-box.>>

Is there any reason why the map file needs to be renamed? I just downloaded a number of files so they each have a name associated with time/date, I believe. I ran gmap... and just browsed to a file and started it without renaming. Am I looking for trouble? (g)

I had not realized that when you "add" additional maps, they do not over-write the earlier ones, all winding up appropriately in the cache folder(s). So thanks for setting me straight - I had Vancouver cache folder and a Seattle Folder, etc.

I liked your idea of WholeWorld, NorthAmer, etc at different zoom levels. I'm trying that now for areas in Europe. Altho I may not be able to test them out until I go over there again, if ever!
    02-21-09 11:13 AM
    Is there any reason why the map file needs to be renamed?
    There's really no need to rename the map, just as long as you save it with the .map extension. Windows operating systems, in all their wisdom, will automatically rename it to a .txt file, unless you specify the quotation marks.

I liked your idea of WholeWorld, NorthAmer, etc at different zoom levels.
    Yup, that's what we gotta do until the 64GB MicroSD card hits the market, and dips under $20, for me personally
    02-21-09 11:26 AM
    sonni_kuba:

Okay, how long did it take you to download/compile the "gmaps?" I've been going straight for more than 24 hours with one session of, I think, Paris area - clearly, I have screwed it up!!!!
    02-22-09 07:22 PM
    Okay, how long did it take you to download/compile the "gmaps?" I've been going straight for more than 24 hours with one session of, I think, Paris area - clearly, I have screwed it up!!!!
    What's your progress bar at?
    02-22-09 09:24 PM
    Progress Bar??? I see a number of bars showing a variety of PERCENTAGES.

I have 6 parallel downloads going and going. I've seen one top out at 100% and I guess it was taken over by another "slot!"

The overall megabytes in the cache folder has only slightly increased from about 60megs to 62megs. Maybe I should terminate this process.
    02-22-09 11:56 PM
    Hmmm ... sound suspicious try again, and make sure you have the proxy button checked, I am wondering if you were stopped by the Google servers.

Either way, once all the progress bars hit 100%, then close the program down, and copy to your MicroSD card. There is a bug in the prorgram, so even after all downloads hit 100%, it will still say processing.

Let me know how it works out for you.

SK
    02-23-09 05:44 AM
    Can you use this on blackberry curve 8310?????
    03-05-09 10:12 AM
    Here's another way to get free GPS without a data plan.

It can be done, don't let the $60/month users tell you it's not. Here are the step-by-step instructions for MGMAps. Enjoy,

OK, here's what to do

On your Bold

1) Go to - Options - Advanced Options - Location Aiding - Turn this to DISABLED
    2) Put in your MicroSD card
    3) Connect your BOLD to your computer via USB cable
    4) When the window comes up asking you whether to enable Mass Storage, say YES

On your computer

1) Make sure you can see your SD card (it will be listed as a removable disk drive)
    2) Go over to Map Creation Tool for MGMaps and follow the instructions to outline your custom map, I would recommend going from 0-16 (zoom levels), and SLOW and DETAILED level of detail
    3) Save your custom map on a dekstop or somewhere where you can see it, but becareful to save it as "mymap.map" with the quotation marks, and select All Files from the Save File As drop-box.
    4) Next click the link to download and install GMAP Maker www.mgmaps.com/cache/gMapMaker-setup.exe
    5) After installation, open GMapmaker, and press GO -> it will ask you for that mymap.map file you saved in Step 3
    6) Wait for the download to finish (this will take a long time)
    7) When everything is said and done, copy the MGMapsCache folder (located probably at C:/ProgramFiles/GMapMaker/) to your SD card
    8) Install the signed version of MGMaps Index of /projects/mgmaps/Blackberry using Windows Desktop Manager

Back on the BOLD

- Open up MGMaps, go to Settings - Maps - Stored Maps - and select Offline Mode and Stored Maps

There you go, now you can track your position for free, anywhere, free of charge. Enjoy my friends
    When I try to create a map at mapcacher.com it created a .map file in a split second that was only 5KB in size. This was supposed to be for the UK. Why isn't it making the map?
    03-06-09 12:44 PM
    While I am having trouble with the app (huge map sizes and they don't work on my 8830 so I'm doing something wrong)

If you follow the directions, there are two or 3 parts. You first create the area on a map on the website using points to define a closed form and then download that. This first part is only coordinates of what will be your mapped area.

You then use the program he linked to which will actually open the above "map" file and then download graphic files which tile-together to form the actual maps.

You then place the folder on your BB and point the BB application to those tiled images.
    03-06-09 03:05 PM
    Hi, if anyone wants to suggest an upload site, I can upload my own MGMaps folder, for others to try.
    03-08-09 10:03 PM
    I like that idea of sharing since I'm totally lost with what is happening. I know in the past when I first tried this app, it worked.

It literally took an hour yesterday using a Dos Command window to run through the folders and DEL *.* /s/q (erase all files in the folder and subfolders without asking). There were tens of thousands of files.

On my BB, I only moved a smaller cache of maps and it was still too large - it closed Media Player out of my mp3 files - they just would not show up until I deleted all of the map-cache files/folders.
    Now, after the fact, it is kind of humorous but yesterday, when I tried using Shift-del to erase some of the folders windows vista locked up completely (too many files or too many directory WRITES (erases)). When I finally pulled the plug (yup), Windows would NOT boot - scared the h.e.l.l out of me. 30 minutes and two attempts at Boot Safe, it finally recovered.

But I would not blame this program - I probably tried too many or too large an area.

How large is your cache folder with your map of the world and the rest of the maps?
    03-09-09 12:51 AM
    I'm thinking I did something wrong with my maps. I am using trekbuddy and uploaded my map and I can load the map and access it but can I zoom in, or do I need to make a map that is more zoomed in already. It works but not much help as it's out so far.
    03-09-09 09:00 AM
    I used gmaps to download the map of the tri state area at zoom 10 (oh, in, ky) and its only 4kb in my cache folder... the folders are all just empty but the download in gmaps took about 5 mins on my fast connection.
    03-09-09 12:09 PM
    How large is the folder supposed to be on average if you have a city and a couple neighboring towns? I did this for Southern MB and placed the folder in the root directory of the card but the maps program cannot locate the maps and the folder size I foundis like 53KB with 4 files and 593 subfolders
    03-10-09 07:58 AM
    i found out the problem its with google. i guess it doesnt download the maps, if you create a microsoft live map with the creator then use gmaps to download it it works like a charm.

as for size i have north america from zoom 0-10 and Dayton from 10-15 and its only 220mb
    03-10-09 10:52 AM
    Crap so the issue is with gmaps... I prefer gmaps to the ms maps. Oh well cest la vie
    03-10-09 12:38 PM
    no the issue is with google... gmaps will convert and download a microsoft live map just fine. I just did one this morning google on the other hand just gives me empty folders.

all you have to do is select mircosoft live before you generate a .map file, then load that into gmaps.
    03-10-09 01:44 PM
    Hmmmm... I'll upload my MGMaps cache folder tomorrow from school and post the link.... it was made with Google Maps.
    03-10-09 09:43 PM
    Appreciate the help. While I was able to download from Google (I think you mentioned some setting to keep it from bogging/locking down), I had thousands of files and would not work at all on the BB and really slowed my very fast computer down when I did a file search as it waded through the cache folder.
    03-11-09 09:15 AM
    Anyone else here have a Bold? I'm on the .162 version of the OS. I've read this version is fine for GPS but now i've been having trouble locking onto GPS. Not sure if this has anything to do with the new MGMAPS thing I've been doing here.
    03-11-09 11:03 AM
    I'm using on my Bold, OS .241

First off I want to thank Sonni Kuba for pointing me to MGMaps. It's a great program with lots of features.

I tried several times at first to use Google Maps but then I realized that even though it showed it was downloading through gMapMaker, the directory structure was there but there were no files. I switched to Yahoo but they weren't appearing to load right so I switched to Microsoft Live Maps and they work flawlessly.

I am loving this program!
    03-11-09 03:58 PM
    my first set of maps were find and transferred fine. Worked with gps great. Now I made a map extending farther south to Grand Forks and ND. and when I try copying the folder it just hangs on preparing to copy...
    03-12-09 08:49 AM
    how are you guys creating the maps? Just as you go and let the program add onto the existing folder? Like can I do ine of NA for say 0-7 zoom in 1 session and next session do a 0-16 on my home city, and the next session do a 0-16 for New york. They will all allocate properly to the folders? But when You transfer the folder you have to recopy all of the files right?
    03-12-09 08:57 AM
284 1234 ...
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD