OK... finally I am successed copying your files in to my device memory card. Also i have changed settings to select offline and stored maps but i don't see anything except background image saying.. GMAP Mobile... Map title not available, please zoom out.

I zoomed it out but nothing i found.
    10-16-09 11:52 AM
    thanks guys
    10-17-09 06:17 AM
    OK... finally I am successed copying your files in to my device memory card. Also i have changed settings to select offline and stored maps but i don't see anything except background image saying.. GMAP Mobile... Map title not available, please zoom out.

I zoomed it out but nothing i found.
    Have you selected the right map type? The default is Yahoo Maps.
    10-26-09 03:39 AM
    Hey SK, thanks for the info its super helpful.

The only problem i have is that i have a Mac (os x v.10.5).

Basically, GMapMaker doesnt work for me. I tried downloading the maps using perl, but thats way beyond my knowledge.

What I'm trying to get is a Map of Vancouver (and just Vancouver, excluding the other cities in the GVRD -basically from ubc to east van east-west and from DT to marpole north-south) with zoom 0-16. I borrowed my friends computer (PC) and used gmapmaker, but all it got me is 60mb worth of maps, which seems very little. Anyways it doesnt even work, which sucks. Nothing is loading on mgmaps, and I checked all the setting a couple times over.....

Anyone have an Idea of how i could get this to work for me?
    10-30-09 12:54 AM
    The only problem i have is that i have a Mac (os x v.10.5).
    Hey there, I hear you, I am running linux myself, so I had to do this in a virtual machine. I would suggest you set up the Mac equivalent of BootCamp.

What I'm trying to get is a Map of Vancouver (and just Vancouver, excluding the other cities in the GVRD -basically from ubc to east van east-west and from DT to marpole north-south) with zoom 0-16. I borrowed my friends computer (PC) and used gmapmaker, but all it got me is 60mb worth of maps, which seems very little.
    Hmmm... 60 MB seems to be a little too small. What I would suggest you do, is download every other zoom level, i.e. only the odd or even zoom numbers (1, 3, 5, 7 etc) to save some space.

For example, if you were to do zoom levels 1-17, then set up the following .map files

zoom level 1
    zoom level 3
    zoom level 5

all the way to

zoom level 17

Then, run gMapMaker for the zoom levels, 1, 3, and 5, and copy these to your microSD card. That way you can check if it's working without having to wait for so long. To test your offline browsing, make sure you select the maps that you've downloaded and try browsing at zoom levels 1, 3, or 5. If you can see that maps at those zoom levels, then go back and repeat for zoom levels, 7, 9, 11, 13, 15, and 17.

SK

PS... I've noticed that GoogleMaps has been banning users from downloading too much, so I suggest you go with either Yahoo or Live maps. I personally think that Hybrid Live maps are the best choice (in spite of the fact, that I don't really like Microsoft )

I promise myself that I will rewrite this guide with all the tips that we've learned so far, before the Holiday season.
    Last edited by sonni_kuba; 10-31-09 at 11:21 AM.
    10-31-09 11:18 AM
    Hey there, I hear you, I am running linux myself, so I had to do this in a virtual machine. I would suggest you set up the Mac equivalent of BootCamp.

Hmmm... 60 MB seems to be a little too small. What I would suggest you do, is download every other zoom level, i.e. only the odd or even zoom numbers (1, 3, 5, 7 etc) to save some space.

For example, if you were to do zoom levels 1-17, then set up the following .map files

zoom level 1
    zoom level 3
    zoom level 5

all the way to

zoom level 17

Then, run gMapMaker for the zoom levels, 1, 3, and 5, and copy these to your microSD card. That way you can check if it's working without having to wait for so long. To test your offline browsing, make sure you select the maps that you've downloaded and try browsing at zoom levels 1, 3, or 5. If you can see that maps at those zoom levels, then go back and repeat for zoom levels, 7, 9, 11, 13, 15, and 17.

SK

PS... I've noticed that GoogleMaps has been banning users from downloading too much, so I suggest you go with either Yahoo or Live maps. I personally think that Hybrid Live maps are the best choice (in spite of the fact, that I don't really like Microsoft )

I promise myself that I will rewrite this guide with all the tips that we've learned so far, before the Holiday season.
    that would be really nice as im stuck in that site which generates map. When i clicked on generate nothing happened. I waited and waited but still nothing happened. ur through guide will really help. thanks.
    10-31-09 09:54 PM
    Hi!

Could Member Sonni or anyone else who's sucessfully used his procedure offer some suggestions for me please?

Like other Members I'm finding the downloading of the Map Tiles/data a mind-mumbingly slow process - I selected two areas I wanted:-

1) UK/Ireland - even zooms 2-16;

2) Greater Prague - approx 20km radius from city centre, even zooms 2-16;

and its taken ***twelve hours*** just to download 60% of one progress
    line!!! I tried Microsoft Live Maps, are these too slow/bloated for this purpose?

I'm on cable broadband, approx 450-600 kB/s max., by the way!!!

Many thanks,

Chris Williams
    11-01-09 02:21 PM
    Have you selected the right map type? The default is Yahoo Maps.
    I am also having the same problem.

Sonni Kubba/Kelvin pls. help. I have copied Sonni's map on my phone lately.
    Before that I'd created my own maps for an individual city (From US) and that didn't work either.
    Basically I'm also getting the mssg when trying to zoom in: "GMAP Mobile... Map title not available, please zoom out."

when I launch MGMaps on my phone by default I see the map of the North America, South America, Africa, Europe, Asia...but that's not what I want to see

Default is the yahoo map on my phone, but when I change to Yahoo Satellite/Hybrid or google maps..I see above mssg: "GMAP Mobile... Map title not available, please zoom out."

What am I doing wrong?

I'm sure I came this far..so should be able to resolve with your feedback!

thanks for your reply in advance!
    11-05-09 06:20 PM
    that would be really nice as im stuck in that site which generates map. When i clicked on generate nothing happened. I waited and waited but still nothing happened. ur through guide will really help. thanks.
    OK, I am working on a HTML guide, but this will take some time. Will post it sometime between December 15-22 when I have some time off.
    11-14-09 03:36 PM
    I read the whole 16 page thread, and tried everything, but the offline maps just won't show up.

I've downloaded the maps from sonni, as well as my own maps, checked stored maps, switched between map types and checked the appropriate map types, and also tried using microsoft maps (though I'm not sure if that downloaded correctly).. I don't know what's wrong.

I can view online maps just fine, and my gps signal shows up at the correct place on those maps. I'm assuming it's not a download issue since the world maps from sonni don't work either... I'm using development version 1.4 mentioned earlier in this thread.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!
    11-16-09 01:49 AM
    oh man it figures that i realize what the issue is after one whole day of fiddling around with it and signing up and posting a question. For the other people having problems, you have to specifically allow mgmaps to access files, not just be able to access your data card via your phone (I assumed that was default setting for the program, and I was under the impression it's fine as long as I can find the sd card on my phone)

For those on the curve 8900, go to options -> advanced -> applications -> mgmaps -> permissions -> user data -> files -> set that to allow.
    11-16-09 02:11 AM
    For those on the curve 8900, go to options -> advanced -> applications -> mgmaps -> permissions -> user data -> files -> set that to allow.
    Thanks for pointing this out, I will make sure to add it to my updated guide.
    11-16-09 06:32 PM
    gps and bold can't work together... so bad
    11-16-09 09:14 PM
    OK, I am working on a HTML guide, but this will take some time. Will post it sometime between December 15-22 when I have some time off.
    Add one more looking forward to your guide. Thanks in advance!!!
    12-06-09 01:21 PM
    my cache folder says its 353 mb in size but 1.14 gb size on disk...is this normal?
    anyway my problem is when I try to drag it into the "removable disk" drive, which is a new 8 gb sd card, it tells me "There is not enough space on removable disk, you need an additional 364 mb to copy these files".

Am I copying to the blackberry memory and not the SD card? If so, how do I copy specifically to the SD card? I tried using media manager but it gets a "not responding" error and just does nothing.
    12-09-09 07:31 PM
    Is there a GPS app that contain its own maps without the use of data plan?
    US Map is at least 3 GB, it probably will kill your BB if it's a working navigation app you proabbly need 4 GB for this app only.

1GB = 1000 MB
    12-10-09 01:20 PM
    Does anyone know of a apps that will send only the lat/long out the USB cable and display on screen.

This needed for APRS HAM apps

SPENCE
    K4KEP
    Amateur Radio always was wireless
    01-04-10 10:21 PM
    I don't think the BB is equipped to send in that fashion. You'd need an app and then probably have to send via email or like Google's latitude or some others work.
    01-05-10 01:34 AM
    I wonder...is it still possible to use your GPS if you have a prepaid simcard in the phone? I have my old pay-as-you-go sim in my 8800 [b'cause my plan simcard in my flip doesn't work in the 8800 for some reason].
    01-10-10 01:01 AM
    will this work on t-mo 9700 if i follow the op's instruction?
    01-14-10 12:12 AM
    Yes I got it to work on my 9700. Much thx to the op. I downloaded his world map and it is only up to level 7. Not that detail or useful. Any1 have any higher level of the world map? If so can u share it with all of us? Thx.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    01-14-10 01:11 PM
    well any1? i have another question...any1 here use this app while on a plane or on a cruise ship? were it able to detect where you are on the map?
    01-14-10 04:48 PM
    have another question...which map do u guys prefer? google, live, yahoo or what? the one thing i dont like about google is, when u browse to other countries like in china or japan, it starts using chinese characters instead of english alphabet. how the h ell are u supposed to read chinese character if u not a native chinese? wtf is google thinking? stick with english, it is the universal business language.
    Last edited by vincentnyc; 01-17-10 at 02:08 AM.
    01-14-10 09:47 PM
    so is this gana work on a storm too?
    01-17-10 12:54 AM
    Yes I got it to work on my 9700. Much thx to the op.
    No problem, I am glad that you are enjoying the program.

I downloaded his world map and it is only up to level 7. Not that detail or useful. Any1 have any higher level of the world map? If so can u share it with all of us? Thx.
    The point of my uppload was so that people can test the functionality of the stored maps function, without having to worry if they've constructed their own maps properly. If you wanted to download the entire world at a zoom level of 15, then you'll have to have a 256GB micro SD card

The idea is that you should download your particular part of the world in higher detail, depending on the size of your micro SD card, and your usual travelling radius. If you are planning on travelling to another city, then you can construct an additional high detail map on a separate micro SD card, or just add to your existing map.

well any1? i have another question...any1 here use this app while on a plane or on a cruise ship? were it able to detect where you are on the map?
    If your BB can get a GPS lock, then yes you can.

the one thing i dont like about google is, when u browse to other countries like in china or japan, it starts using chinese characters instead of english alphabet. how the h ell are u supposed to read chinese character if u not a native chinese? wtf is google thinking? stick with english, it is the universal business language.
    Actually, this is an asset! When you travel to these countries, you'll see that they don't give a flying fu(k about English being the universal language, and naturally, write all their signs in their native alphabet. Don't forget the purpose of the map' it's suppose to help you navigate inside the country. Having travelled in Japan/China/Russia, you learn to appreciate having a map that uses the country's native alphabet.

so is this gana work on a storm too?
    Yup
    01-17-10 11:53 AM
284 ... 89101112
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD