I'd like to download the program and start working on maps now, before it arrives. I presume I can just copy between the cards via my computer?
    Absolutely, just bear in mind it takes time to copy all those little files, especially under windows vista.

If I want to use xcopy to do the copy faster, what would be that command?
    C:\> xcopy C:\Program*\gMapMa*\MGMapsC* F:\ /E

This is assuming your MGMapsCache folder is located in the gMapMaker subfolder of your Program Files, and your Blackberry is being detected as the drive F:

I install it, but I can't run it. It gives me this error message:
    To run this application, you first must install one of the following versions of the .NET Framework: v2.0.50727
    Contact your application publisher for instructions about obtaining the appropriate version of the .NET Framework
    Yes, you need to download this Microsoft application in order to allow gMapMaker to operate.

Download details: .NET Framework Version 2.0 Redistributable Package (x86)
    05-25-09 09:07 PM
    Absolutely, just bear in mind it takes time to copy all those little files, especially under windows vista.

C:\> xcopy C:\Program*\gMapMa*\MGMapsC* F:\ /E

This is assuming your MGMapsCache folder is located in the gMapMaker subfolder of your Program Files, and your Blackberry is being detected as the drive F:
    Thanks for the quick response! I have everything up and running - what a sweet little program!

One more question. I have downloaded your world map. When I create my own custom maps, how do I integrate the world map into the cache.conf file since it was just downloaded rather than created? I know you addressed back early in the thread the fact that the cache.conf file updates automatically, but that was for when you create your own custom maps, not copying in your pre-made map. What do I need to do here?

::: Edited to Add ::: Okay, make that three questions. I did a custom map for Verona, Italy, then did a number of other areas in Italy, and copied the entire folder to my Blackberry root folder on my SD. However, the only one which shows up is Verona - I can't get the others to read. Do I need to download and copy/paste them one at a time? My cache.conf file was updated each time I added another custom map, and I copied over the last cache.conf file version when I copied/pasted the entire folder. I'm trying to do Google Hybrid.

Also, with Google hybrid, the closest I can get is 50m, is that correct? Is there a further zoomed view? What about with another map such as MS Live or Yahoo? Using this as a walking map, I'd like to get a bit closer view.

::: Edit 2 ::: After much reading here and at mgmaps.com, found that my problem was using Google Hybrid with gMapMaker - it just doesn't support hybrid in most areas. So changed to Google Road Map and all appears to be well!
    Last edited by burbunny; 05-28-09 at 09:15 AM.
    05-25-09 09:25 PM
    i use a at&t 8310 on t-mobile i got no data plan right now i got bb maps on my blackberry and it recevices all the maps fine i can even use at&t nav no prob i get no charges i use pre-pay
    05-27-09 02:21 AM
    I have 8820 which comes with built-in GPS device. But when I go to GPS > Start GPS Navigation > Where Am I? on MGMaps it gives error saying "GPS position not yet determined. Make sure the phone can receive/determine GPS information and the satellite signal strenght is good, wait for few seconds then try again."
    I then went to Options > Advanced Options > GPS and did "Refresh GPS" it kept saying "Scanning for Satellites..." and then I quit option and came back to see that GPS Location which showed all 0's. My settings are:
    GPS Data Source: Device GPS
    GPS Services: Location ON
    Location Aiding: Disbaled
    Blackberry v4.5.0.110 (platform 2.7.0.90)

I am currently in New Delhi, India and believe GPS satellite service is free for all around the world.

Whats wrong with my setting or there is some issue with GPS device?
    06-09-09 05:59 AM
    It sure seems like your phone is not picking up the satellites (not Mgmaps). I assume you are outdoors when doing this? I have a 8820 here in the US and it works perfectly. Try a battery pull.

I have 8820 which comes with built-in GPS device. But when I go to GPS > Start GPS Navigation > Where Am I? on MGMaps it gives error saying "GPS position not yet determined. Make sure the phone can receive/determine GPS information and the satellite signal strenght is good, wait for few seconds then try again."
    I then went to Options > Advanced Options > GPS and did "Refresh GPS" it kept saying "Scanning for Satellites..." and then I quit option and came back to see that GPS Location which showed all 0's. My settings are:
    GPS Data Source: Device GPS
    GPS Services: Location ON
    Location Aiding: Disbaled
    Blackberry v4.5.0.110 (platform 2.7.0.90)

I am currently in New Delhi, India and believe GPS satellite service is free for all around the world.

Whats wrong with my setting or there is some issue with GPS device?
    06-10-09 05:28 PM
    Yes, it looks like phone is not picking up data from satellite. I tried again today and to my surprise I was able to receive data from satellite outside my office building. It looks like may be week signal in New Delhi, India or could be GPS chip is not that strong to receive flaky signal. Because I have also seen that signal strength of my WiFi on 8820 also show 3/5 where in I am standing very close to my wifi router (hardly 5m).

Thanks for the help, I will monitor the strength of signal once I keep traveling with my 8820.

Note: Is there anything to do with data plan activation? I activated blackberry BIS service yesterday to read my office mail. I clearly understand that there is no connection with data/mobile/wireless operator with GPS signal, it is between my device GPS chip and GPS satellite to communicate.
    06-11-09 12:50 AM

Note: Is there anything to do with data plan activation? I activated blackberry BIS service yesterday to read my office mail. I clearly understand that there is no connection with data/mobile/wireless operator with GPS signal, it is between my device GPS chip and GPS satellite to communicate.
    The GPS has nothing to do with your data plan. The only thing is if you use Google Maps instead of Mobile Gmaps. In which case, you will use data plan via your provider.
    06-11-09 01:09 AM
    I installed MGMaps and then installed Google Maps v3.0.2 on my blackberry 8820. I opened MGMaps and everything worked fine. Now I opened Google Maps and browsed around and then closed it. After this I found my MGMaps was gone. I checked Option > Advance Option > Application and there was no MGMaps there. I connected my blackberry to computer and through "javaloader" dumped the stack on my system and saw following lines:

guid:0x97C9F5F641D25E5F time: Wed Jun 10 11:35:55 2009 severity:0 type:2 app:System data:CMM: GoogleMaps(3584) no sig from 0x33
    guid:0x53ACA9B21D15F33E time: Wed Jun 10 11:35:56 2009 severity:0 type:2 app:net.rim.otaupgrade data:OTAU:capable
    firmware=true, service=false, disabled=false
    guid:0x97C9F5F641D25E5F time: Wed Jun 10 11:35:59 2009 severity:0 type:2 app:System data:VM:-LGCMt=306,s=82944,p=GoogleMaps
    guid:0x97C9F5F641D25E5F time: Wed Jun 10 11:36:00 2009 severity:0 type:2 app:System data:VM:-GCGoogleMaps RX=10.9M,RF=12.4M,FF=31.6M,OF=198.9K,OS=5.8M,ON=58 K,OR=0,FR=0,TR=0,RR=0,IS=4K RA=8.4M,RS=4.4M,RN=40.2K TA=17.4K,TS=17.1K,TN=195 PA=1.3M,PS=1.3M,PN=8.1K R0=3.2M,2=10K,3=52.8K,7=34.2K,8=3K,9=4.7M,10=9.4K, 11=31.1K,12=152.8K,13=21.1K,15=180.3K
    guid:0x97C9F5F641D25E5F time: Wed Jun 10 11:36:00 2009 severity:0 type:2 app:System data:-GCt=344,b=0,r=0,g=2,w=19,u=0,c=1
    guid:0x97C9F5F641D25E5F time: Wed Jun 10 11:36:02 2009 severity:0 type:2 app:System data:CMM: delete mgmaps_bb(3874,u)
    guid:0x97C9F5F641D25E5F time: Wed Jun 10 11:36:02 2009 severity:0 type:2 app:System data:CMM: delete mgmaps_bb-1(3877,u)
    guid:0x97C9F5F641D25E5F time: Wed Jun 10 11:36:03 2009 severity:0 type:2 app:System data:CMM: delete mgmaps_bb-2(3880,u)
    guid:0x97C9F5F641D25E5F time: Wed Jun 10 11:36:03 2009 severity:0 type:2 app:System data:CMM: delete mgmaps_bb-3(3883,u)
    guid:0x97C9F5F641D25E5F time: Wed Jun 10 11:36:04 2009 severity:0 type:2 app:System data:CMM: delete mgmaps_bb-4(3886,u)

It looks like Google Maps is uninstalling MGMaps automatically. Is there anyways I can keep both on my blackberry? I am running T-Mobile version of v4.5.0.139 (Platform 2.7.0.98) on my phone.
    06-11-09 04:09 AM
    I recall that happening - google erases mgmaps.

I think that I changed some of the permissions for Google - did not allow it to edit or change files or something like that.
    06-11-09 09:04 AM
    Wow, the very long MGMaps thread seems to have disappeared suddenly. Wonder why???

Anyway, here's the solution which was previously posted there:

"To stop google maps from nuking MGMaps I went into the permissions for google maps and set "Module Management" to "Deny""

I'm having problems with that particular workaround, though, as seems to have been written for a different OS than my 4.6.1.206.

When I go into Options>Advanced Options>Applications, highlight Google Maps and select "Edit Permissions" I don't see anything resembling "Module Management." Do any of you know what the equivalent is, or have another suggestion on how I can achieve the same result?
    06-11-09 11:42 PM
    I don't know that OS. But in OS 4.5, there are THREE (3) main permissions: Connections, INTERACTIONS and User Data.

INTERACTIONS is the one - press Menu and EXPAND so you see the sub-permissions. Module Management is there in OS 4.5.
    06-11-09 11:55 PM
    I don't know that OS. But in OS 4.5, there are THREE (3) main permissions: Connections, INTERACTIONS and User Data.

INTERACTIONS is the one - press Menu and EXPAND so you see the sub-permissions. Module Management is there in OS 4.5.
    Not there in 4.6 (but thank you, didn't know where it *should* be). In Interactions I have the following set as Allow - guessing it is one of these: Cross Applications Communications (possible), Device Settings, Media, Application Management (also possible I'd think), Themes.

Any suggestions?

::: Edited to add ::: Okay, I tried setting Cross Applications Communications and Application Management to Deny, one at a time. Cross Applications on Deny resulted in not being able to open Google Maps, Application Management to Deny have no idea what it did, but MG Maps disappeared again, so it didn't do what I needed.

Suggestions?
    Last edited by burbunny; 06-12-09 at 01:06 AM.
    06-12-09 12:07 AM

Thanks, it worked like a champ, I now have both Google Maps and MGMaps on device and can use both together. I think google maps is behaving like a virus, it should atleast notify user that it found MGMaps on system and it will remove this for Google Maps to work properly or ask confirmation about removal of MGMaps.
    06-12-09 01:02 AM
    Not there in 4.6 (but thank you, didn't know where it *should* be). In Interactions I have the following set as Allow - guessing it is one of these: Cross Applications Communications (possible), Device Settings, Media, Application Management (also possible I'd think), Themes.

Any suggestions?

::: Edited to add ::: Okay, I tried setting Cross Applications Communications and Application Management to Deny, one at a time. Cross Applications on Deny resulted in not being able to open Google Maps, Application Management to Deny have no idea what it did, but MG Maps disappeared again, so it didn't do what I needed.

Suggestions?
    Sorry, no suggestions - are there OTHER permissions in 4.6 that might correspond even if not in Interactions?
    06-12-09 09:40 AM
    Sorry, no suggestions - are there OTHER permissions in 4.6 that might correspond even if not in Interactions?
    The permissions in 4.6 for Google Maps are:

Connections: USB, Bluetooth, Phone, Location Data, Internet and Wi-Fi
    Interactions: Cross Application Communication, Device Settings, Media, Application Management, Themes, Input Simulation, Browser Filtering, Recording, Security Timer Reset
    User Data: Email, Organizer Data, Files, Security Data

Then beneath there are Application Modules - GoogleMaps (with the same set of permissions as above), then GoogleMaps-1 through -9, again with all the same options.

I'm totally clueless here what might serve as Module Management.
    06-12-09 05:59 PM
    Just guessing:

Kill permission for "application management" first.

Try killing "cross application communication" (that might kill links to contacts or browser?????)
    06-12-09 07:16 PM
    Just guessing:

Kill permission for "application management" first.

Try killing "cross application communication" (that might kill links to contacts or browser?????)
    I've tried both. "Application management" still lead to MGMaps being uninstalled. "Cross application communication" wouldn't allow me to even open Google Maps after reboot.

So neither of those
    06-12-09 07:23 PM
    I am about to purchase a smart phone, very possibly a 8320 blackberry curve.

I am with T-Mobile and I am looking to get an unlocked phone wifi/gps/camera & just keep my $49 unlimited service.

After reading all 12 pages in this thread, I am excited about the prospect of GPS without Data service.

I am moving up from an old Motorola razr to the new and exciting land of smart phones & pda's ......
    but I feel a bit out of my league with this new technology ....

I need a good clear phone 1st, cam, gps and and I do a very little bit of texting to my daughter....

The GPS without Data question has been the 1 thing holding back on the phone decision.

Most people I asked said it's not possible?
    Even some of the blackberry ads on ebay claim you must have a data service to make the gps work.

It just seems to my simple mind that if the phone has a gps receiver and maps, that their has got to be a way .....
    and thanks to this thread ... there is hope.

1 - will this work with other phones with built in gps?
    2- can the blackberry be set up with out the mail account?
    3- any other smartphone suggestions? (on the economical $$ side please)

I have a quadcore pc and a mackbook pro .....
    gotta say after 18+ yrs with pc's & Microsoft ... the mac is a refreshing dream .... though, apple is a money pig .... IMHO.

Please excuse my, (possible ignorant), questions..

Thanks,
    (old guy in Florida)
    Tony
    06-14-09 09:33 PM
    Burbunny

Wow, the very long MGMaps thread seems to have disappeared suddenly. Wonder why???
    Probably, because I've stopped reading the forums, as I am about to purchase another smartphone, just don't know which one. Although I do have to thank F2 for fielding a lot of questions during my absence.

I've tried both. "Application management" still lead to MGMaps being uninstalled. "Cross application communication" wouldn't allow me to even open Google Maps after reboot.
    There was a long thread about this in the MGMaps forum, hopefully this problem will be resolved with the next MGMaps release. As I recall, and I may be wrong, the problem stems from both programs using a similar name for their module.

Tonyanza

Even some of the blackberry ads on ebay claim you must have a data service to make the gps work.
    I wouldn't necessarily pick Ebay as the most reliable source of consumer information. YOu have a number of users here who have verified that this method does indeed work, and an even greater number of Blacbkerry users on the MGMaps forum who can also negate this misinformation. I am planning to create a youtube video that documents the entire process from start to finish, including use of the GPS to track, all without any data service. Hopefully, I'll get around to it before I sell the phone.

1 - will this work with other phones with built in gps?
    You really should check the MGMaps forums for a complete listing of compatible smartphones.

2- can the blackberry be set up with out the mail account?
    As many BB users will tell you on the tread, a Blackberry without a data plan is just a simple cell phone. What they don't tell you, however, is that the 8320 is cell phone with a fully functional GPS receiver, a fully functional WiFi internet browser with a fully QWERTY keyboard, and a great media player too. So, YES, you can definitely use it withtout a data plan.

3- any other smartphone suggestions? (on the economical $$ side please)
    Now that is where the Blackberry 8320 really comes through. Because there are so many out there, and because everyone is jumping on the Blackberry BOLD, 8900, Storm bandwagon, the price for the 8320 has really fallen. You can easily get a used one in great condition for <$150, and a new one for <$250.

Hope this helps,
    SK
    06-17-09 12:55 PM
    I don't understand??? I too want a GPA/Maps app. on my BB without having to pay Verizon for that service. I went to google maps and downloaded it to my phone. It appears I have a new icon on my phone and when I click it provides GPS information and map directions and all.

Why doesn't everyone do this? This seemed a bit easy, is it too good to be true? Is this the same as having VZ Navigator??
    06-17-09 02:25 PM
    Hi motrees,

I think you missed the main point of the post. Even with the Google map application, you are still charged for data use, when you download the maps. This thread is about GPS without using 'any' data transfer.
    06-17-09 03:40 PM

Tonyanza
    You really should check the MGMaps forums for a complete listing of compatible smartphones.

the 8320 is cell phone with a fully functional GPS receiver, a fully functional WiFi internet browser with a fully QWERTY keyboard, and a great media player too. So, YES, you can definitely use it withtout a data plan.

SK
    Sonni
    Thank you for the prompt answer and great info ...
    I will check out the but MGMaps forums ..

I am confused about the 8320 ....

On Blackberry.com ....

They list 8320 features as:
    * 2.0-MP Camera
    * Wi-Fi� Support
    But no GPS

They also list 8330 features as:
    * 2.0-MP Camera
    * Built-in GPS Capabilities
    * Video Recording
    * Mobile Streaming
    But no WiFi

So is the GPS a hidden feature on the 8320, that is not advertized?
    Or a discontinued feature?

I am a happy man if I can get an unlocked 8320 unit to work with my T-Mobile sim card with WiFi & GPS

Thanks
    Tony
    Last edited by tonyanza; 06-17-09 at 05:41 PM. Reason: found the mgmaps page
    06-17-09 04:11 PM
    Oops, yes, it's true, the 8320 does NOT have GPS. My apologies, I was thinking of the 8900

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    06-17-09 06:25 PM
    Oops, yes, it's true, the 8320 does NOT have GPS. My apologies, I was thinking of the 8900

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    OK, so I need to find a curve 8900 or the Bold to get GPA & WiFi?

Thanks for your BB wisdom
    06-17-09 07:58 PM
    so I need to find a curve 8900 or the Bold to get GPS & WiFi?
    Correctamundo
    06-19-09 04:35 PM
284 ... 56789 ...
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD