It seems that any 3rd party app that requires GPS will not work on my Storm with Verizon as my carrier. I'm assuming they have the GPS locked. Is there anything I can do about this. Most recently I would like to be able to use some of the golf apps to use on the course. Let me know if anyone has any ideas.
    06-22-09 10:16 AM
    I have a BB Storm 9530 and my Carrier is Verizon. I use GPS with 3rd party apps all the time with no problems or issues. I use it with Google Lattitude, I have used it with Nav4all, GPSlogger, etc. I would go under your GPS settings in your phone and make sure they are set on instead of 911 mode or something. There is no GPS blocking set in place by Verizon at all.
    06-22-09 10:19 AM
    At least I don't feel like a dumb-@$$ now. Thanks for the info...
    06-22-09 10:26 AM
    Well google lattitude I know doesn't exactly use GPS it just uses cell tower triangulation, my own testing of it confirms that never once has it had my area pinpointed (within a half mile even)

Trust me Verizon does block full all out GPS they want us paying for VZnavigator to turn by turn directions. Thats why you cant have Blackberry Maps give you standard GPS navigating, you can only have it give you the location your at (using GPS) and have it "track you" and follow you as you drive/move

Though most of those apps should use the GPS locating your just not going to get turn by turn directions.
    06-22-09 10:44 AM
    Well google lattitude I know doesn't exactly use GPS it just uses cell tower triangulation, my own testing of it confirms that never once has it had my area pinpointed (within a half mile even)

Trust me Verizon does block full all out GPS they want us paying for VZnavigator to turn by turn directions. Thats why you cant have Blackberry Maps give you standard GPS navigating, you can only have it give you the location your at (using GPS) and have it "track you" and follow you as you drive/move

Though most of those apps should use the GPS locating your just not going to get turn by turn directions.
    Yeah, you don't know what you're doing or talking about.
    06-22-09 10:53 AM
    I have a BB Storm 9530 and my Carrier is Verizon. I use GPS with 3rd party apps all the time with no problems or issues. I use it with Google Lattitude, I have used it with Nav4all, GPSlogger, etc. I would go under your GPS settings in your phone and make sure they are set on instead of 911 mode or something. There is no GPS blocking set in place by Verizon at all.
    That's a little incorrect.. Verizon does block GPS on some Blackberry models.. However with the Storm they are leaving it open.
    06-22-09 10:56 AM
    i agree

at least for me it pinpoints 3 meters approximately...
    06-22-09 10:56 AM
    Well sheesh thanks for being rude.

OK so as another poster put it is being blocked on some blackberries. I came from a pearl it was blocked there, I felt I was safe in assuming it was being done on all Blackberries since Verzion is very well known for gimping every phone on their network. I wasn't aware that it was open on the Storm. Learn something new everyday. It's comments like yours though that make people feel very unwelcomed.
    06-22-09 10:59 AM
    You know what happens when you assume...

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    06-22-09 11:02 AM
    True but the polite thing would have been to say "Actually your wrong Verizon did open it up......... etc" IMHO. It's better to inform someone why they are wrong other than just saying they are wrong and leaving it at that.
    Last edited by Goodeye84; 06-22-09 at 11:33 AM.
    06-22-09 11:06 AM
    tell her good eye84.people like this just amaze me,they shouldnt even be on here...
    06-22-09 11:07 AM
    Well sheesh thanks for being rude.

OK so as another poster put it is being blocked on some blackberries. I came from a pearl it was blocked there, I felt I was safe in assuming it was being done on all Blackberries since Verzion is very well known for gimping every phone on their network. I wasn't aware that it was open on the Storm. Learn something new everyday. It's comments like yours though that make people feel very unwelcomed.
    It wasn't meant to be rude. Sorry if you took the truth to be a personal attack. Bottom line (in your own words), you assumed something, instead of reading about the truth/facts first.

Take care...
    06-22-09 11:17 AM
    tell her good eye84.people like this just amaze me,they shouldnt even be on here...
    That's a good one. Your addition of jokes and gags will be a good one for this place. Welcome... and enjoy your stay.
    06-22-09 11:20 AM
    Hey I wasn't saying for you to leave. Just saying would have been nicer to get a more complete reason why I was wrong is all. I had not see anything anywhere that told me that GPS was open. I had even been told by Verizon employees (I gotta remember that they usually know jack squat) that full GPS was disabled from ALL verizon phones this had been after the storm was out.

No worries if it wasn't meant rudely. Was just trying to tell you that's how it came off to me. Now to download some good GPS apps!
    Last edited by Goodeye84; 06-22-09 at 11:30 AM.
    06-22-09 11:28 AM
    I'm very glad she's here, she knows a heck of a lot more than most.

Edit: While it may have seemed rude, I doubt that was the intention. This seem more like a response you would get by providing incorrect information on a topic that has been discussed many times on this forum.
    Last edited by Lylej2k; 06-22-09 at 11:36 AM.
    06-22-09 11:30 AM
    [QUOTE=1967LS2;2862160] I use GPS with 3rd party apps all the time with no problems or issues. I use it with Google Lattitude, I have used it with Nav4all, GPSlogger, etc.QUOTE]

Which exactly would you recommend? Preferable a free one if possible? :P Thanks!
    06-22-09 11:35 AM
    I use GPS with 3rd party apps all the time with no problems or issues. I use it with Google Lattitude, I have used it with Nav4all, GPSlogger, etc.
    Which exactly would you recommend? Preferable a free one if possible? :P Thanks!
    um, all the apps listed above ARE free, lol
    06-22-09 11:37 AM
    I use TrimbleOutdoors and use it in True GPS mode. The gps in the Storm works great! No network assistance needed with this program which allows me to be in the mountains, record or follow a track, then upload it to Google Maps. You can even attach photos taken with the phone to your route.

I know this has little to do with what the OP was asking other than the gps is not locked on a Storm by VZW.
    06-22-09 11:46 AM
    That app sounds like something I would use for sure! Im not the OP but thanks!
    06-22-09 11:47 AM
    Gee, I'm glad my thread turned into a flaming mess....

So does anyone have an app that proves or disproves or a link to prove or disprove that the GPS is blocked/unblocked.

I changed the options>gps to all locations and not just e911 and the app I was having problems with worked. I'm not sure what that means, just saying what happened.
    06-22-09 11:49 AM
    Sorry about that...... Though we did get it all resolved.

That would be the proof right there. E911 only means ONLY 911 operators could see where your at via GPS. And with the info I learned today I know it's safe to assume that your location on setting means that you have allowed any app on the storm that uses GPS to utilize it if necessary.
    Last edited by Goodeye84; 06-22-09 at 11:59 AM.
    06-22-09 11:54 AM
    Supported Phones - Trip planning, GPS navigation, fitness training using a GPS-enabled mobile phone or a GPS receiver.

This app will prove that the gps is unlocked, no network assistance. If you can't use gps, my suggestion is to take the phone back as it may be broken.

I got lucky and got it on a 19.99/life of the phone deal.

Here's a link for a 30 trial
    BlackBerry Trial - Trimble Outdoors
    06-22-09 11:58 AM
    Next time, look at who you are trying to give a hint to. Notice the "Genius of Geniuses" and the 8,900+ posts.

I think she knows what shes talking about and I think she pretty much has this site around her finger... good try though, A for effort.
    06-22-09 12:13 PM
    um, all the apps listed above ARE free, lol
    Well, he did say etc... implying that there were others than the ones listed. I wasnt sure if the current one he used was in the list or if it was free. Hence why I asked.
    06-22-09 12:15 PM
    I hope your comment was aimed towards him not me. I wasn't trying to do what he is saying. I know she had a higher comment count than me. I just took what she said incorrectly that's all.
    06-22-09 12:16 PM
35 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD