I am planning on upgrading my Curve in the next 6 months and was curious if Verizon has unlocked the GPS on the Tour to 3rd party apps? I believe it is unlocked on the Storm2 and is one factor I will consider when deciding between a Storm2 and a Tour2 when it is released.

Thanks.
    01-26-10 09:14 AM
    Yes. It is unlocked on both units.
    01-26-10 09:33 AM
    I am planning on upgrading my Curve in the next 6 months and was curious if Verizon has unlocked the GPS on the Tour to 3rd party apps? I believe it is unlocked on the Storm2 and is one factor I will consider when deciding between a Storm2 and a Tour2 when it is released.

Thanks.
    Yes. GPS is unlocked on the Tour. It works perfectly with google maps, blackberry maps, and amaze. Those are the ones that I have used so far.
    01-26-10 09:33 AM
    Yes. GPS is unlocked on the Tour. It works perfectly with google maps, blackberry maps, and amaze. Those are the ones that I have used so far.
    +1. All gps apps Ive used work just fine and lock on pretty quick.
    01-26-10 10:48 AM
    I loaded Garmin nav onto a friends Tour and it wouldn't find the gps. Whenever I tried to activate the app it would look for a bluetooth gps, then shut down. I double checked and the gps is turned on. Is there a setting I am missing?
    02-11-10 11:50 PM
    It sounds like you have the wrong version of Garmin. Let him download the free trial version using his Tour and it should work fine. It has no difficulty finding my GPS.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    02-12-10 12:04 AM
    I've got Garmin running on my Tour. As well as Blackstar, gpslogger, life-in-pocket, poynt, Googlemaps and bbmaps. Oh, and both BBweather and BerryWeather which use the gps.
    02-12-10 08:30 AM
    All VZW's newer BB models such as 9630 support autonomous GPS. That means they don't need assisted data (PDE) from VZW base stations for GPS to work. So these models' GPS will work with all 3rd party apps.

VZW older BB models such 8330 requires PDE data from VZW base stations in order to acquire GPS fix. Only VZW paid apps, BB maps and Bing can receive PDE data to make GPS work under business agreements.

Hope this info helps!
    02-12-10 03:53 PM
    It sounds like you have the wrong version of Garmin. Let him download the free trial version using his Tour and it should work fine. It has no difficulty finding my GPS.

I loaded the app that I am using on my Bold, so that must be the problem. It worked on my 8310 but wouldn't display properly, so i assumed that I would just be able to load it onto his Tour. Thanks
    02-12-10 11:48 PM
    The Tour has dual-mode GPS. Autonomous GPS will work without cell-tower assistance. The Tour also has assisted GPS, which still requires PDE information and is locked. Applications that were written for assisted GPS may still not work on the Tour if they don't provide Verizon's access requirements. As long as the app can access autonomous GPS, you're good to go.
    02-13-10 10:08 AM
    Question as to the Service Provider...

I have US Cell for my Tour and whenever I try to use the GPS locator in the Chicago area it always goes back to Downers Grove. Any ideas as to how to open it or even unlock the Tour so I am able to use GPS apps?

Thanks for any help.
    02-13-10 12:35 PM
    What GPS software are you attempting to use? I use Google Maps, BBMaps, Poynt, Bing, and Garmin Mobile with my Verizon Tour. Since the Tour uses an autonomous GPS chip, you shouldn't require anything from USCellular to use it.
    02-13-10 02:57 PM
    Could it be that I am using Google Maps?

Which apps are best for Tour?

Thanks for the info by the way

02-13-10 03:31 PM
    I'm not aware of any problem with Google Maps. Perhaps you should try another free app. Also, run the internal self-test and verify your GPS is working. Go to Options / Status and type test to start the self-test program.

02-13-10 05:42 PM
    I Did the Options / Status / then test.....That did it.

Thank you! The unit found the satellites and it's working.

I have to say "Man I love this place"
    02-13-10 06:13 PM
    What GPS software are you attempting to use? I use Google Maps, BBMaps, Poynt, Bing, and Garmin Mobile with my Verizon Tour. Since the Tour uses an autonomous GPS chip, you shouldn't require anything from USCellular to use it.
    How did you get Garmin Mobile for your tour? When I went to the Garmin website it says that Verizon Devices except the Storm are not compatible. Does it work anyhow??
    03-17-10 09:48 AM
    Garmin has been on and off in their support for the Verizon Tour. I see what you are seeing on their website, that the Verizon Tour is not supported at the moment. I have an evaluation copy running on my Tour. It works. As an alternative until Garmin makes the Tour version available again, you might want to look at TeleNav. I also have it running on my Tour. It has a 14-day free trial, so you can evaluate it risk free.
    03-17-10 09:58 AM
    I'm not aware of any problem with Google Maps. Perhaps you should try another free app. Also, run the internal self-test and verify your GPS is working. Go to Options / Status and type test to start the self-test program.

Jeff:

Thanks for the info. In the past sometimes GPS would quit working and I had to do a battery pull to restore GPS. If this happens in the future I will try the test method since it would be quicker than a battery pull.

Barry
    03-17-10 10:01 AM
    Thanks for clearing that up. I was really looking forward to paying $99 ONCE :-( Oh well.
    03-17-10 10:09 AM
    Hmm. I did not know Garmin "pulled" their software for the Tour. I've got it for a number of months now. Wonder what they are changing/fixing?

I don't know of Blackberry Lounge still offers the discount but it was about $80 bucks through them.
    03-17-10 11:01 AM
    Hmm. I did not know Garmin "pulled" their software for the Tour. I've got it for a number of months now. Wonder what they are changing/fixing?

I don't know of Blackberry Lounge still offers the discount but it was about $80 bucks through them.
    Yea it's still there & when you click the link it simply says Download for Device With BuiltIn GPS or without... It doesn't list specific phones... Though i'd hate to purchase this and it not work...
    03-17-10 11:09 AM
    You have a three day trial, so you can download it without risk if you can get it to download at all.
    03-17-10 11:35 AM
    Unfortunately it wouldn't download... Actually the webpage wouldn't even open in the browser... Oh well I guess i'll just have to keep check on it...

Thanks for all of you guys help
    03-17-10 12:02 PM
    I havent experienced any of the issues about but the self test tip is a nice one, going to save that for later just in case i ever need it.
    03-17-10 12:11 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD