It seems that whenever I try using Google Maps, it always tells me that my GPS is unavailable so it approximates my location. While it usually gets close enough to get accurate directions, it's still a little annoying. Any ideas as to why this is and how to fix it?

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    04-28-10 04:51 AM
    Are you sure that the GPS data source is the device (8900), and not some external device, and GPS Services , is set to Location ON.

Is it having trouble finding your position inside or outside?

I have had my 8900 for just about a month, and so far it has not had any problems connecting to satellites outside, and depending on the building, a few seconds to get a good fix on location. Seems the more metal and brick in the construction of the building, the longer it will take to get a fix.

But seems a long as I have any sort of signal (data and carrier), I will have GPS. If I have no service due to a really heavily rebared construction, it is almost a sure bet I won't have GPS signal either.
    04-28-10 05:39 AM
    Location is set to ON. I seem to have trouble both indoors and out.
    Again, it's not that much of a bother but I'm mostly just curious if anyone else has had this issue and fixed it.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    04-29-10 04:46 AM
    Is it only on google maps you have this problem? Have you tried other software, BB Maps?
    04-29-10 12:09 PM
    Location is set to ON. I seem to have trouble both indoors and out.
    Again, it's not that much of a bother but I'm mostly just curious if anyone else has had this issue and fixed it.
    How long are you letting it try to get a GPS lock? I find that when I'm indoors, it can take a bit longer... a few minutes sometimes. But when I'm outside, it locks on pretty quick... usually in 10-15 seconds.
    04-29-10 12:42 PM
    I never load up BB Maps because Google Maps is so much better (in my opinion). So I can't really say about that one.

But I usually do leave it for a few minutes if I'm not in a hurry to get wherever it is I'm looking up directions for. The best it usually gets is within 100 meters, despite how long I let it go.
    04-29-10 02:49 PM
    I never load up BB Maps because Google Maps is so much better (in my opinion). So I can't really say about that one.

But I usually do leave it for a few minutes if I'm not in a hurry to get wherever it is I'm looking up directions for. The best it usually gets is within 100 meters, despite how long I let it go.
    Hmmm... not sure about that then. It should eventually lock on and give you a location within 3m or less.
    04-29-10 02:52 PM
    Yeah, it's a little inconvenient, but nothing I can't live with. Thanks for your help, guys.
    04-29-10 07:26 PM
    Depends on where you are. First off, GPS doesn't work indoors. If it does, it could be 50m off or likely more. If you're around buildings (large or tall) your accuracy ability to track satellites will be also poor. If you want to make sure your gps is working alright, find an open area like a field with no nearby trees, and see if your gps can get your position.

2-3m accuracy at about 50% confidence is what these gps antennas are capable of, but it really depends on how good the conditions are. In downtown areas my phone loses its ability to track satellites quite easily, and if it does get a position it's anywhere from 10-75m off. As soon as I'm in open areas it only takes a few seconds.

Usually it should take no longer than 30 seconds to get a positioning, but it may take up to several minutes. It actually takes about 12.5 minutes for a gps receiver to collect the entire "message" broadcast from a satellite, but only part of it is needed for a rough positioning.

A few things to keep in mind.
    04-30-10 10:39 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD