If you don't want to use data service - you need to provide a locally stored map data - which I don't believe is available.
    That's exactly what my question was. ;-)

TomTom uses locally stored map data but, AFAICS, they only have their Navigator for iPhone and Win7, BB isn't mentioned. Surprised if they're the only one, but it may be so.
    10-17-10 03:14 AM
    wow that website worked, thanks for that!
    10-17-10 09:26 AM
    scratch that, download worked but it wont find locations it keeps saying "error processing request," presumably because i'm not a subscriber
    10-17-10 09:34 AM
    Downloaded Garmin off BBSeeker, but it is US only and I think Garmin have wised up to this pirated software.

From what I gather, BB phones can't run apps that have info loaded onto the SD card, so that is why TomTom and the like are not available.

I use Telmap 5 on Beta which is fine (even though it is not meant to work on OS 6) , but have tried Garmin which is much more user friendly.
    10-17-10 11:11 AM
    Torch is not on their supported BB list. Just 9700, 9630, 9000 and 8900.

Anyone try Google's?
    Google Maps Navigation for mobile
    It may not be on their list, but it works...perfectly.
    10-17-10 11:58 AM
    Cant see any link apart from to Android.... does it really work?
    10-17-10 12:05 PM
    I don't know about paid apps but I've been using Waze as of late without any problems whatsoever. I recommend Waze for sure!!!!

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    I totally agree. It's a great app., and works perfectly on my Torch.
    10-17-10 12:07 PM
    how do you load it? all I can see is android
    10-17-10 03:47 PM
    That is a great deal but I can't get it to work on my torch. Keeps "checking for subscription info" but can't find any, cause its never asked me to pay the 50! Was on with Bell for 2 hours today trying to get it but they couldn't help me
    I called TeleNav and was told it wasn't available yet for Bell. AT&T got an update for their Torch that takes it to v2.0, but the one Bell downloads is v1.5 still. Seems rather odd for Bell to be promoting this for Torch users when it's not actually ready for it yet.
    10-18-10 12:03 AM
    If you want turn by turn voice nav, the Garmin app is the only logical choice. If you get AT&T Navigator, you pay $10 a month, which will surpass the price of the Garmin app after 10 months. Waze is clumsy and, frankly, not in this class of apps. The only good free turn by turn voice nav app was AmAze, but they started charging a year or so ago. This, unfortunately, is one category of app where there ain't no free lunch.
    10-18-10 06:15 AM
    I have Rogers Navigator for $4 a month I used it yertarday and was perfect on my Torch and is power by Telenav.
    10-18-10 06:39 AM
    From what I gather, BB phones can't run apps that have info loaded onto the SD card, so that is why TomTom and the like are not available.
    That's not true. I use the Toposports app for topographic maps (for hiking, etc.), and their map files are stored on the SD card.

I just don't think anyone has developed a voice-guided navi app for BB that uses pre-loaded maps. Not sure why because it is useful when you are roaming or don't have a good signal.
    10-18-10 10:56 AM
    If you get AT&T Navigator, you pay $10 a month, which will surpass the price of the Garmin app after 10 months.
    I haven't used AT&T Navigator, but can't you just add it for the time you need it and then remove it from your plan? Definitely not as convenient as keeping the subscription active, but if you know you'll only be needing it for a specific trip, then you wouldn't be stuck with more than you need.

This is the kind of functionality that I would expect to pay for, but I also want the option to have the maps loaded on my phone.
    10-18-10 11:04 AM
    how do you load it? all I can see is android
    Down on the left side of their page is the Blackberry, download as Storm 2 on your Torch and it works great.
    10-18-10 01:55 PM
    I don't see link to download. Can you attach the link?
    10-18-10 04:13 PM
    Honestly, paying 100 or so for a gps app that uses data is dumb for me. Just put this kinda money into a tomtom etc gps device. it will be ten times better. What is you phone gonna show on a bad coverage area ? Nothing !

As I said,if you want to use your phone, I recommand telmap because it's a beta and therefore free.

10-18-10 11:31 PM
    Its not that simple though, because apps that use data for maps don't get hit with yearly map upgrade fees, which cost as much as the standalone gps device...

10-19-10 02:09 AM
    Does Waze have spoken turn by turn???
    10-19-10 03:17 AM
    Upgrading each year is not mandatory. I do 2000 miles per month and use my 2 yeard old gps (vw golf with genuine satnav). Maybe a couple of times the map was wrong but not in a way I got lost. I have also in my 2nd car a 3 years old tomtom. No problem.

If you're in a zone with no or bad network, no nav at all with the mobile !

10-19-10 03:48 AM
    Does Waze have spoken turn by turn???
    Yes it does.
    10-19-10 07:01 AM
    Any answer re Google with turn by turn?
    I thought they were keeping it for their own OS
    10-19-10 07:36 AM
    I use Google maps, yes it gives turn by turn directions on the screen - nothing spoken.

Yesterday I learned something new. Used Tel Nav (ATT Maps) for a 300 mile trip. Several times I drove out of cell phone coverage but Tel Nav stayed viable. It continued to track me and tell me of next turn. Infact it told me when I was in and out of phone coverage. Amazing!

10-19-10 08:04 AM
    But you couldn't see the map, no ? The GPS knows where you are but the data (map) can't be downloaded.

for how long were you out of coverage ?
    10-19-10 08:22 AM
    But you couldn't see the map, no ? The GPS knows where you are but the data (map) can't be downloaded.

for how long were you out of coverage ?
    That is what surprised/amazed me - the map stayed visable and was updating as the car moved. I was out of coverage twice and both times for about 5 minutes. The first time I heard a "ding ding" and voice telling me I was out of cell coverage. So I sneeked a peek at the screen and couldn't believe the map was staying current to my position.

10-19-10 08:50 AM
    Amazing actually.

I've used a bit Telmap (and not Telenav, like you) on my phone and each time there is no coverage, no map !
    Last edited by snowfree52; 10-19-10 at 09:00 AM.
    10-19-10 08:58 AM
69 123
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD