I have download 2 satnavs. The first one i downloaded was amAze. This does work but is fairly compicated to use. That cost about �20. I then downloaded Wisepilot with a 5 day free trial. This work very well on the Torch but did cost �60.00 Whilst its not cheap I do prefer it to a standalone device. If it know you are going to hit traffic it gives you the option to find another route. I have been unable to find a free sat nav option. However its worth keeping a eye on telmap navigator 5. I used this beta version on my old 9700. currently its only available for the 9000 9700 and 8900. I emailed them to find out if and when it may be available and they said they didnt know if it would
    10-19-10 10:48 AM
    Data based nav apps generally still work when there are network coverage issues, since the route is already calculated. It just doesn't download map data.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    10-19-10 10:56 AM
    I called TeleNav and was told it wasn't available yet for Bell. AT&T got an update for their Torch that takes it to v2.0, but the one Bell downloads is v1.5 still. Seems rather odd for Bell to be promoting this for Torch users when it's not actually ready for it yet.
    Just purchased the BELL $50 lifetime directly from the 9800....the $49.99 will be added to my cell bill.

Cheers
    10-19-10 11:11 AM
    I haven't used AT&T Navigator, but can't you just add it for the time you need it and then remove it from your plan? Definitely not as convenient as keeping the subscription active, but if you know you'll only be needing it for a specific trip, then you wouldn't be stuck with more than you need.

This is the kind of functionality that I would expect to pay for, but I also want the option to have the maps loaded on my phone.
    There is a "day pass" for AT&T Navigator that costs $2.99 per day.
    10-19-10 11:45 AM
    Just purchased the BELL $50 lifetime directly from the 9800....the $49.99 will be added to my cell bill.

Cheers
    What? I've been trying to do this since I bought my damn Torch, I even tried it 30 mins ago and it still doesn't prompt me to buy it, anooying!
    10-19-10 09:51 PM
    I have download 2 satnavs. The first one i downloaded was amAze. This does work but is fairly compicated to use. That cost about �20. I then downloaded Wisepilot with a 5 day free trial. This work very well on the Torch but did cost �60.00 Whilst its not cheap I do prefer it to a standalone device. If it know you are going to hit traffic it gives you the option to find another route. I have been unable to find a free sat nav option. However its worth keeping a eye on telmap navigator 5. I used this beta version on my old 9700. currently its only available for the 9000 9700 and 8900. I emailed them to find out if and when it may be available and they said they didnt know if it would
    Telmap works on my torch

Data based nav apps generally still work when there are network coverage issues, since the route is already calculated. It just doesn't download map data.
    What happens if you change your route though ? (accident, roadworks, need for a service station ...)
    10-20-10 03:00 AM
    Yes, if you use a data based mapping app in a constant no-network area you cannot change the route...

So never use data based mapping apps for that reason? How often do most people navigate in consistently zero network areas... Or go buy a standalone gps unit. I somehow figure people want to hear about data based mapping apps considering that is basically what BB has and that is what this thread is about.
    10-20-10 03:21 AM
    I never said that ! What I said is : If I have to spend 100 I prefer paying 100 to buy a standalone device.

If you just go around in the city you will never experience no coverage, agreed.
    I live in the countryside, do 2000 miles per month, I am in those areas a lot !

For me, the interesting point of using GPS on bb is :
    - Telmap because it's free, but it's laggy
    - Wisepilot (for example) because you can buy it for a day, a month, a week ... (I think telenav is doing the same, isn't it ?)

Of course this thread is about GPS on a blackberry, I did some researchs and referenced all the solutions in a previous post, but I'd like to emphasise on the bad points not everyone is aware of !

En r�sum� :
    If you need to use a GPS everyday, buy a standalone device. If you need it just sometimes, get wisepilot.
    Is that ok ?
    Last edited by snowfree52; 10-20-10 at 04:07 AM.
    10-20-10 04:02 AM
    Warning about Garmin, you only buy it for a specific device, if you have to change your device you have to buy it again.

I would suggest giving Blackberry maps a go, they are pretty basic but use very little data and to be honest they give you a better idea of where you are.

If you follow turn by turn instructions to go to a new location I bet you'll not remember how you got there, when you look at the big map you get a better idea of your whereabouts.

Definitely the best option for roaming.

10-20-10 04:38 AM
    Steve, I have Garmin on my Torch. I had it on my bold 9000 and transfered it to my Torch. I did pay 74.00 for lifetime on handango.com.
    10-20-10 04:17 PM
    If you buy Garmin from handango they will not charge to you transfer to another phone all they need from you is your blackberry pin and they will send you another pass key.
    10-20-10 04:20 PM
    If you buy Garmin from handango they will not charge to you transfer to another phone all they need from you is your blackberry pin and they will send you another pass key.
    Had a quick look and I can't see Garmin on their site

10-20-10 04:30 PM
    How often do most people navigate in consistently zero network areas
    When in many large expanses of the US from my experience, but that's not so much the issue as using your phone abroad when you may not wish to keep using data at unknown prices.
    10-21-10 06:23 AM
    Is wisepilot also starting by itself in the background when you restart your phone ?

So annoying !
    10-24-10 12:02 PM
    10-24-10 01:14 PM
    Brilliant, thanks, got it for my 9700. Is it free?

10-24-10 01:42 PM
    For preloaded maps, ideal for roaming because use no data, try an app called Trekbuddy. It is free and works perfectly. No voice or route although it has waypoints. You can save google maps on the SD card.

10-24-10 05:45 PM
    yes can someone pls post a link to the page where this google mobile nav app can be downloaded, i've looked and cant find a thing, except to visit the page from my bb browser
    01-17-11 08:12 PM
    yes can someone pls post a link to the page where this google mobile nav app can be downloaded, i've looked and cant find a thing, except to visit the page from my bb browser
    Googles Nav App only works on Android devices. You can only run Google Maps which can only show you a route and written directions, but no spoken turn-by-turn directions.
    Google Maps Navigation for mobile
    01-18-11 09:27 AM
69 123
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD