Hey Everybody.

Strange issue happened today. My GPS suddenly has stopped working on my Blackberry Torch 9800.

I generally use the Endomondo app for tracking my biking and what not, and I noticed that last night the GPS tracking was extremely erratic, and literally put me all over the map, miles from where I actually was.

Today, the GPS does not seem to work at all. I also have "GPS Tool" installed. When I use GPS Tool, I get all 0's for every field, except for mode which reads "Autonomous Partial Fix".

When I go into Options -> Device -> GPS -> Location Settings, I see that Location Services are indeed enabled, but it shows 0 Satellites. I've tried to use "Refresh Location" and it won't pick up any satellites.

I've disabled Location services, rebooted, and re-enabled Location services, and still have the same issue.

I've both rebooted several times using Alt+Shift+Del as well as with Battery Pulls. Still no luck when standing outside.

GPS always worked great in the past, just suddenly stopped.

I'm running OS 6.0.0.448 and my service provider is Rogers. I have not yet tried to re-load the OS yet.

Does anybody have any suggestions?
    xinutel likes this.
    06-23-11 02:00 PM
    Do you have any other GPS enabled apps? I recall having one on my 9000 that allowed me to disable the GPS from within the app and it messed up other apps. However, it did show my GPS as off.

I use Endomondo too.
    Zakk_Wylde likes this.
    06-23-11 02:56 PM
    same problem, using .570 with hybrid, never had that before, but neither the adidas app, nor manual search in options would work...
    06-23-11 06:14 PM
    Thank you for the replies, guys. The only other GPS enabled Apps I have on my phone are Google Maps, and GPS Tool.

Interestingly, if I leave GPS Tool open for an extended period of time in a clear area (ie outside), and by extended, I mean upwards of a half hour, GPS Tool will show 7 or 8 Satellites, with an average signal strength of around 25dB. Not sure if that is high or low. But it never is able to populate the Latitude, Longitude, etc fields. I believe that this is likely the reason why no GPS Enabled Apps seem to work properly on my phone anymore.

Hey Cula, have you figured out a solution to your problem yet?
    06-24-11 03:49 PM
    nope :/
    tried it again today, outside, no clouds. Didnt find any satellites..
    will wait for the next OS leak and see if it works again then. Might be the hybrid or shrinking, but i didn't really change anything..
    06-24-11 04:54 PM
    Mine shows 7 sats with 29.29m accuracy sitting indoors at my desk. It actually lists the address next door to me.

I'm on .526.
    06-24-11 05:08 PM
    I used Runtastic to track muy running, and suddenly it stoped working. I also have GPS Tool and get a maximum of 9 satellites (when I used to get 12), and no latitude or langitude information.

I have already wiped my torch and have a brand new .570 OS, but I have exactly the same problem. Neither the GPS Tool nor the Blackberry maps work.

I dont know if the signal is too low or what could be the problem, please help!!
    06-27-11 08:55 PM
    I have the same Problem here. GPS is not working after upgrading to 6.0.0.600. I try other Firmwares and Hybrids too, but GPS is still dead.

Im very happy to be on T-Mobile in Germany, its the most expensive Carrier here, but i got a new Torch in a day without a Problem.
    06-28-11 02:22 AM
    I have that problem since .576. Google maps takes forever to fix location. I have to use GPS Tools before to get a lock, then switch to Google Maps. Very weird. Before .576 I got located in Google Maps very fast (no more than 10 seconds or so)
    06-28-11 04:14 PM
    Got the same problem on .576 but pretty sure GPS was working and now its not also suddenly updates will not work in APP store.

I also have runntastic which is stating i need an update but unable to update to if i go to APP store..

GPS tool if in the open long enough states GPS satellites available again at about 25db
    Last edited by andgee; 06-28-11 at 05:21 PM.
    06-28-11 05:18 PM
    im very confused now. i dont want to break my new torch, so what do you mean, is it a software error or does the firmware breake the gps sensor?
    how i sayd before, I downgraded after *.600 to several firmwares and the gps still didnt work.
    06-28-11 06:55 PM
    I used Runtastic to track muy running, and suddenly it stoped working. I also have GPS Tool and get a maximum of 9 satellites (when I used to get 12), and no latitude or langitude information.

I have already wiped my torch and have a brand new .570 OS, but I have exactly the same problem. Neither the GPS Tool nor the Blackberry maps work.

I dont know if the signal is too low or what could be the problem, please help!!
    I finally could make ir work.. Here is what I did:

First I made a complete wipe of my telephone, (I dont know if this is what make it work, but it dir make my device faster, so I widely recomend it. You can look for the instructions in this same site)

After that i installed GPS Tool, went to options and changed GPS method to assisted. After that I left GPS Tool open and went into the runtastic app. It inmediately get the GPS signal and to be fair the trail was considerably more accurate than before.

Dont forget to left GPS Tool opened.

Hope it works for you all.
    06-29-11 01:10 AM
    Thanks Sershh will try that but doesn't bode well if people with varying Firmware and Service providers and Applications all have their GPS suddenly Stopped!!
    06-29-11 05:20 AM
    I am having this problem also and want to renew the thread.

GPS started being flaky a couple months ago and is progressively worse. Now Endomondo never connects. (stays on "GPS locating") and GPS tool in options fails to find satelites in open areas. Google Maps also crashes a lot and says GPS unavailable.

I think it started when upgrading to OS 6.
    Currently running 6.0.0.600

Are there still others with the problem? has anyone found a solution???
    08-24-11 05:07 PM
    I've read quite a few threads about this lately, and it really kind of seems like something has happened in a much wider sense than any one particular phone.

My brother in law has a 9800 and his GPS works great (on Endomondo, no less) but I'm not sure what OS he is running. I also tried upgrading my OSs on both my 9300 and 9700 and it didn't help at all. I'm gonna load OS5 on my 9300 and then reload OS6 to see if that fixes it.
    09-19-11 03:31 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD