I've read the various threads about Verizon locking out the GPS on the 8330 Curve unless you get their Navigator, so this question may be moot.

I want an app that will track the mileage of a run or walk (like Garmin or Map My Run). Is there anything that will work on the Verizon 8330. And if I pay for Navigator, can I use 3rd party apps that require gps?

Thanks, all.
    04-27-10 05:49 PM
    Unless Verizon has changed something very recently, purchasing VZNav will not unlock the GPS for any other apps. Verizon only enables the internal GPS in the 8330 for use with BBMaps, VZNav, Bing, and their social app. The internal GPS will not work with any other 3rd party apps such as Garmin Mobile or Google Maps.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    04-27-10 06:59 PM
    Does this mean VQ Mileage Tracker won't work on the 8330? I installed and it tells me to enable GPS, even tho the GPS Navigation is already "on".

Would love a mileage tracker to keep up with my real estate mileage log. Thought this might be an answer to prayer... but i guess maybe not.

Thanks,

Joan
    06-25-10 10:45 AM
    Does this mean VQ Mileage Tracker won't work on the 8330? ...
    Unfortunately, yes. 3rd party apps can't use the internal GPS in a Verizon 8330 unless Verizon enables the app. There's nothing a user can do to enable it. You do have the option to use an external GPS that connects to the BlackBerry via Bluetooth. The Freedom Keychain 2000 is one example, but there are others. You can find them in the CrackBerry Store, or used on eBay.
    06-25-10 01:36 PM
    True. You can't run 3rd party apps with GPS in a Verizon 8330
    07-23-10 01:08 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD