Hello my fellow BBB (Blackberry Bold) users. Has anyone tried using the GPS on the BBB? I found we can also down load software from Garmin for $10/month. I guess it includes update, etc. Has anyone tried this? On my BBB my GPS is built into my BlackBerry Maps. The display and features are very primitave compare to my TomTom GPS. What's up with that? Any information on this topic would be helpfull.
    02-06-09 05:39 AM
    try google maps.
    it has a new version out with some pretty neat features
    and it is FOC
    02-06-09 05:41 AM
    Ya I use google maps 2 on my "rogers bbb"

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    02-06-09 07:45 AM
    Google Maps 3.0 with "latitude" works well for me.

02-06-09 07:51 AM
    Google is good but I don't find the blackberry maps too primative. It is quite accurate throughout the US and Canada. It alos seems to be updated regularly.

02-06-09 08:49 AM
    BB Maps is ok. It's the difference between free and non free software.
    02-06-09 09:02 AM
    Hola, YYBENEDB, what I ment was the GPS software on BB Maps. The look and features are primative compare to other GPS devices such as Garmin or TomTom. I have my GPS working on BB Maps on my BBB, does anyone know if the GPS will work with Google Maps v3.0 on the BBB?
    02-06-09 11:27 PM
    This is off topic but this question goes out to danielx & bt224 you guys, danielx with 818 posts in 3 months and bt224 with 1630 posts in 3 months also. Come-on guys, do you ever sleep? Just kidding, thanks for the replies.
    02-06-09 11:37 PM
    Well, installed Google Latitude v3 and everything went well. Installation was a breezz, pretty simple to figure out. It seem's to have some sort of GPS feature in it because it detected where I was very quickly. I love the Satellite View. Speed of loading the maps is good, detail is also very good. The traffic feature does not seem to work in my area. Might only work in the USA though. Will spend some more time over the weekend experimenting with Google Latitude.
    02-07-09 12:58 AM
    With GPS Navigation turned on with BBMaps, I find it more accurate then Google Maps 3.0.

Running OS .234

02-07-09 11:09 AM
    only use it with google maps and it works great, not the best compare of the one you pay by month but i found it good when you walk and look for a street.. not really good for driving.. i use my tomtom for that
    02-07-09 11:19 AM
    Im not sure if it is available for the bold, but I use the Telenav service on my curve. I have absolutely no problems with it. Through Rogers, it is $10/month, even though I was able to get it for free through my retention plan.

Extremely useful while driving. It works like a standard GPS handheld system, so if you miss a turn, it re-routes you to the next best route.
    02-07-09 11:39 AM
    Used the Google Latitude v3 & Blackberry Maps today, they both use GPS tracking and they both have their good points. For free software, not bad both are pretty accurate. Google would say accurate to 3 Meters or accurate to 1500 Meters while it zero in on your location through the GPS.
    02-07-09 04:53 PM
    Through mypoynt (which everyone should try m.mypoynt.com) I use google maps. Latitude is freakin creepy so I usually have it turned off.

02-07-09 06:54 PM
    Installed MyPoynt, nice, very nice piece of software. Now Blackberry Maps, Google Latitude v3 and MyPoynt all work fine with GPS. Thanks for the info. NaderD.
    02-10-09 05:46 AM
    What-The-Heck! No post in almost a week here. I guess no one is interested in using their GPS features on their phone. Anyway, did some more testing last night while the wife was driving to the city. I was switching between GPS programs on my BB BOLD and I noticed some lag time. While the wife was driving on the highway, doing about 100Km per hour, I noticed Google Maps was about 5 seconds behind where I actually was on their map. AmazeGPS was not too bad holding it's own in the MAP (3D) view, but the speed of downloading the map was a tad slow for the screen to keep up with. It was just noticeable but not as bad as Google Maps. While BB Maps was dead on with my location on the map 100% of the time. While driving using a GPS it is sometime critical when you have to make a turn or change lanes to be dead on where you are on the map, so I would say for accuracy while driving - 1st. Place to Blackberry Maps (May not be the prettiest but most accurate for now), 2nd. Place to AmazeGPS (This was including the Live weather report while driving and still the only program with 3D and Voice prompts. Next time I'll try switching the weather report feature off and see if it makes a difference), 3rd. Place to Google Maps (I wonder if it is because the size of the files has so much detail it just takes longer to download?) I switched between these 3 programs about 3 times each on my trip last night.

PS - Sorry about that (Google, Blackberry mix-up), That's what I get for trying to send a message at 3:30am in the morning!
    Last edited by CdnTrini; 02-16-09 at 07:09 AM.
    02-16-09 02:54 AM
    I just noticed you have google maps as 1st and 3rd place in your rankings...

The reason no one has posted in ur thread is that we get posts about "gps" every week. The phone was released in november..each app has its pros and cons. Its up to personal preference when it comes to these apps. .If you want free there's bb maps, google maps and amaze. People like google maps due to the look and among other things, people like bb maps cuz it shows ur speed and quick and rendering your location. People like amaze since it has turn by turn voice directions. Now for paying for gps software people like garmin where its like 10 dollars a month or a one time fee of over 100 dollars and its installed to ur phone and only that phone. I believe there is telenav and that too you have to pay for. I'm not quite familiar with telenav so I cant say much.

I myself like google maps. It gives good directions when I ask for it to provide me with directions. I like bb maps when I want to know how fast I'm actually going, ever since I got new wheels and tires I knew my speedo was off. I uninstalled amaze because navigating through the prog was a pain.
    Last edited by pinoi; 02-16-09 at 06:14 AM.
    02-16-09 06:05 AM
    Thanks for clearing that up for me PINOI, sorry to sound as if I was complaining, I was just wondering if anyone else was doing any testing using their GPS and would post something. As for each application having it's pros. and cons. that's what I want to read and hear about. Some people were saying to try Poynt, but that uses Blackberry maps and has glitches in it. I guess that why it's still in Beta stage. I use a Tom-Tom GPS in my van so I'm just testing the free GPS software on my BB BOLD. As for AmazeGPS I found it was not user friendly as the others but still workable once I got the hang of it. Some people like NAV4ALL, I found it had a good menu system and structure but would give lots of problems to connect to the satellites, so I uninstalled it. I might try it sometime later-on in the year, but for now, with these GPS programs and other programs I'm testing, I have enough on my plate.
    02-16-09 07:31 AM
    Google maps on my Rogers BBB

02-16-09 07:33 AM
    I use Yahoos software and it works like a charm with a load of features. Its also superrr user friendly. Easy as pie to use.

02-16-09 08:25 AM
    Hi ADDICT2BOLD, I have not heard of any GPS software from Yahoos. Can you tell me the name of the software please?
    02-16-09 08:51 PM
    I bought Garmin Mobile for the Bold for $74 usd back in December. I seem to use it at least a couple of times per week.

A one time fee vs monthly subscription vs lackluster free apps. I made my decision after trying them all.

I was even a beta tester for Telmap Navigator (aka: Mapquest).

For a roadmap, Garmin Mobile owns them all. As well as nearby restaurants & local things of interest etc.

02-17-09 07:36 AM
    I agree sith SPAZMOGEN, the Gramin program is the best of the GPS apps. Turn by turn voice directions, (which is supported by some Bluetooth headsets), traffic, weather, points of interest. It performs almost exactly like their Nuvi GPS devices. All for a one time payment. I have had no problems with the app, all the features work here in Toronto.
    Last edited by SWT6; 02-17-09 at 03:55 PM.
    02-17-09 09:37 AM
    I agree sith SPAZMOGEN, the Gramin program is the best of the GPS apps. Turn by turn voice directions, (which is supported by some Bluetooth headsets), traffic, weather, points of interest. It performs almost exactly like their Nuvi GPS devices. All for a one time payment. I have had no problems with the app, all the features work here in Toronto.
    --------------------------------------------
    I tried to download Trial ver of Garmin maps for my Rogers 8800 and got message something to effect that it is not available for this carrier...

Called Rogers customer service, they basically confirmed it.

I have TeleNav now. Not happy with it. It is expensive and very often freezes while updating map data.

What needs to be done to make Garmin work with my Rogers 8800?

Thanks,
    02-21-09 11:43 AM
    I bought Garmin Mobile for the Bold for $74 usd back in December. I seem to use it at least a couple of times per week.

A one time fee vs monthly subscription vs lackluster free apps. I made my decision after trying them all.

I was even a beta tester for Telmap Navigator (aka: Mapquest).

For a roadmap, Garmin Mobile owns them all. As well as nearby restaurants & local things of interest etc.

so my understunding is Garmin is 74 usd and no annual fee? that is awsome! all the other good one have a nuual fee . i am willing to pay 74 buck for that but not annual fees got enough with my monthly phone bill
    02-21-09 11:52 AM
28 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD