Up front: I've searched these forums for other threads regarding problems with the internal GPS receiver of this unit. I am a Verizon user, so that knocks out all of the previous Telus questions, and I have the software I want already and can get a (intermittent) lock on sats, so that knocks out the rest, as far as I can tell.

Now, my problem is that no matter which application I've used, I get what seems to be lag from the GPS unit. I've tried two geocaching apps, BlackStar and GeocacheNavigator, as well as different maps, and all seem to get only intermittent service from the GPS. The periods of lag during which there are no updates from the GPS last minutes some times and only a few seconds other times.

Being a newer BB user, and having had the 9530 for less than a month, what should I look at to start with troubleshooting?
    I've never messed with the OS or anything else major, other than trying the 'GPS fix' listed in the tips & tricks section.
    07-30-09 01:51 PM
    I've never had a GPS problem (using Garmin Mobile and GPS Logger). What OS are you running on the phone? Also, does this seem to happen only in one location (like your house), or everywhere you go? I ask because you could be in a poor area for satellite reception.
    07-30-09 03:26 PM
    is your GPS set to "location" or "911"?
    07-30-09 03:28 PM
    Sounds like a hardware problem.
    07-30-09 04:48 PM
    Sounds like a hardware problem.
    I hope its not hardware. I'm assuming 148 I'm running on whatever came preloaded. This happens whenever the GPS is running and yes I have turned the location on. Thanks for the quick replies.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    07-30-09 08:39 PM
    Where are you when you try to use the GPS? If you are inside a building or a car, it can be difficult for the GPS to lock on to the satellites. I've had problems while in my car driving around downtown San Francisco; the combination of the car body and tall buildings pretty much does it in. Also multilevel highways can be annoying.
    07-30-09 08:50 PM
    Where are you when you try to use the GPS? If you are inside a building or a car, it can be difficult for the GPS to lock on to the satellites. I've had problems while in my car driving around downtown San Francisco; the combination of the car body and tall buildings pretty much does it in. Also multilevel highways can be annoying.
    For the most part I'm outside. I first noticed the issue when I tried to use the phone for geocaching outdoors the first few times. I have since given up on that. And being from huntsville there are few buildings around tall enough to really impede a signal.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    07-31-09 05:13 AM
    New development: Storm seems to be getting very warm, hot even, when the GPS is fully enabled and I have a geocaching app running. Not sure if this is new, or if I just haven't been noticing because it's been so warm outside. Is this usual, or am I looking at a hardware failure and a replacement phone?
    08-03-09 01:52 PM
    Why don't you just call into CS and have them send you out a replacement. Then when it gets there, activate it, but don't send yours back immediately. Give it a day or two and see how the new one behaves. If it's fine, then you had hardware issues. No one here has the problems you're describing.
    08-03-09 02:26 PM
    getting hot while using GPS is sorta normal....my meterberry was reading 141 F yesterday while i was at the Senior Open and the phone was in the car all day. I was going to crack an egg on it
    08-03-09 02:30 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD