Can someone please explain this to me; I see an icon of a crosshair on the top of my screen next to the "3G" logo...what is that icon? Also; can someone please show me the steps to toggle GPS on/off?

I'd appreciate any and all feedback. Thanks.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    08-25-11 05:12 AM
    Just universal search "location"

08-25-11 05:14 AM
    Just universal search "location"
    What do you mean by that?

08-25-11 05:23 AM
    What do you mean by that?

Since OS6 blackberry has a universal search feature, start typing "location" from home screen. If you have shortcuts enabled press S first.

Everywhere in the OS there's a search feature, open options and start typing the setting you're looking for, for example.

Edit- you can also touch the magnifying glass on the screen
    08-25-11 05:27 AM
    Ok, but this is OS7 that's pre-packaged on the 9930; not OS6. Plus; you didn't answer my question...I'm not asking about "universal search" availability.

As my 9930 just lays on the table...I'll hear a series of three consecutive beeps; is that some notified for gps or 3g connection availability?

How do I turn that beeping noise off?? Thanks.

08-25-11 05:37 AM
    Ok, but this is OS7 that's pre-packaged on the 9930; not OS6. Plus; you didn't answer my question...I'm not asking about "universal search" availability.

As my 9930 just lays on the table...I'll hear a series of three consecutive beeps; is that some notified for gps or 3g connection availability?

How do I turn that beeping noise off?? Thanks.

I meant from OS6 onwards, including OS7.

Use universal search to find the location settings where you can turn gps on/off.

The other think I can't help you with.

Hold down the menu button and see what apps you have open in the background

08-25-11 05:41 AM
    Btw; I think I'm onto something here...people may get much better battery life if they turn "location services" within "options"...OFF.

I noticed a lot of apps running in the background and foreground use location services running unless manually turn it off...because seems to be turned on by default unless specifically turn location services off.

08-25-11 05:45 AM
    Btw; I think I'm onto something here...people may get much better battery life if they turn "location services" within "options"...OFF.

I noticed a lot of apps running in the background and foreground use location services running unless manually turn it off...because seems to be turned on by default unless specifically turn location services off.

Wheels are turning a little slow today aren't they? Lol, you're kinda pointing out the obvious.

I would suggest exploring your phone more as you're lacking basic knowledge about blackberrys.

08-25-11 05:49 AM
    Wheels are turning a little slow today aren't they? Lol, you're kinda pointing out the obvious.

I would suggest exploring your phone more as you're lacking basic knowledge about blackberrys.
    I suggest you give more concise answers and not pass it off as "oh that's what I meant" when you don't even know the basic OS system number running on the device; now that's LOL'worthy.

And actually it's not "the obvious"; a lot of people don't realize location services on their device is continually on by default unless they are made aware of it...you don't know what you don't know. Nothing wrong w/ providing a reminder for those that may not. Then again it should be "the obvious" in regards to what OS the device is running...plus; '6' and '7' are nowhere close on the keyboard to pass it off as a typo...get with it buddy boy.

Last edited by HandsomePrince; 08-25-11 at 06:22 AM.
    08-25-11 06:19 AM
    I suggest you give more concise answers and not pass it off as "oh that's what I meant" when you don't even know the basic OS system number running on the device; now that's LOL'worthy.

And actually it's not "the obvious"; a lot of people don't realize location services on their device is continually on by default unless they are made aware of it...you don't know what you don't know. Nothing wrong w/ providing a reminder for those that may not. Then again it should be "the obvious" in regards to what OS the device is running...plus; '6' and '7' are nowhere close on the keyboard to pass it off as a typo...get with it buddy boy.

Ok, somebody can't take a joke. I'm sorry I tried to help now, maybe you should try to listen first.

I'll try this again.

Since the introduction of OS6, blackberry has had a universal search feature and obviously it has been carried trough to OS7 too.
    If you don't know where to find a feature or a setting or anything else within the phone use the universal search to find it.

Ever since a blackberry first had a gps built in some 5-6 years ago, maybe longer, the gps has been turned on by default with the option to turn it off, so yeah, pretty common knowledge by now, and also it's common knowledge turning it off saves battery life.

Good luck, I'll not try to help you again.

08-25-11 06:43 AM
    Ok, somebody can't take a joke. I'm sorry I tried to help now, maybe you should try to listen first.

I'll try this again.

Since the introduction of OS6, blackberry has had a universal search feature and obviously it has been carried trough to OS7 too.
    If you don't know where to find a feature or a setting or anything else within the phone use the universal search to find it.

Ever since a blackberry first had a gps built in some 5-6 years ago, maybe longer, the gps has been turned on by default with the option to turn it off, so yeah, pretty common knowledge by now, and also it's common knowledge turning it off saves battery life.

Good luck, I'll not try to help you again.
    Here's your problem...you're ASSUMING a lot!

You're assuming everyone has "common knowledge" that you've anointed as not only 'common'; but as 'knowledge' as well...of people knowing that "5-6 years ago" BB's have had GPS turned ON by default; let alone knowing it's turned on by default NOW.

This is the crux of your problem w/ "helping"...you're wrongfully assuming a lot in doing so.

08-25-11 06:49 AM
    You think you're the only person that put 2 and 2 together and worked out that turning gps off saves battery life? It's basic logic thinking and yes, common knowledge.

08-25-11 06:58 AM
    You're missing the point dude; of course turning GPS off saves battery life. But someone needs to know that it's "common knowledge" that BBs have GPS turned ON by 'default'; before they can implement saving battery life by turning gps OFF when they don't need it or don't know it's running ON in the background by default.

08-25-11 07:08 AM
    You're missing the point dude; of course turning GPS off saves battery life. But someone needs to know that it's "common knowledge" that BBs have GPS turned ON by 'default'; before they can implement saving battery life by turning gps OFF when they don't need it or don't know it's running ON in the background by default.

Dude, you're missing the point, you must be the last person on earth that didn't know about this until now.
    It's the same with any other smartphone out there, not just blackberry.

08-25-11 07:13 AM
    Wow...

@the OP. There's a complete help file within these OS's. Maybe instead of fighting with everyone here, you'd be wiser to just look at the help file and see how to turn location services on and off. It would have taken much less time then posting everything in this thread. Many of us actually do that before we post...
    08-25-11 10:06 AM
    Wow...

@the OP. There's a complete help file within these OS's. Maybe instead of fighting with everyone here, you'd be wiser to just look at the help file and see how to turn location services on and off. It would have taken much less time then posting everything in this thread. Many of us actually do that before we post...
    Somehow he sailed right past my advice didn't he, didn't even register with him.

08-25-11 10:33 AM
    Since OS6 blackberry has a universal search feature, start typing "location" from home screen. If you have shortcuts enabled press S first.

Everywhere in the OS there's a search feature, open options and start typing the setting you're looking for, for example.

Edit- you can also touch the magnifying glass on the screen
    I don't understand why this answer wasn't good enough. "Since OS6" that obviously means OS6 and all prior releases.
    08-25-11 10:55 AM
    Everyone started at the beginning, i for one would like everyone here to show more patience with the "newbies" ...they will soon be up to speed blackberry users.

QUOTE=HandsomePrince;6612883]I suggest you give more concise answers and not pass it off as "oh that's what I meant" when you don't even know the basic OS system number running on the device; now that's LOL'worthy.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com[/QUOTE]

09-15-11 08:29 AM
    Good god, if the OP could comprehend the word "since" properly, this whole thread would be done already.
    09-15-11 09:39 AM
    ... so have the question of how to get rid of the crosshair icon on the homescreen been answered? ... this icon seem to only show up on CDMA/GSM series whether on OS 6 or OS 7 and not the GSM only series .. I'd like to know tho'..
    09-19-11 05:53 AM
    Ok, the short answer here- Open "Options", then select "Device", then "Location Settings", then turn "Location Services" on or off as desired.
    09-19-11 11:02 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD