So I've had my curve for awhile and absolutely love it! I use the googlemaps program frequently. I recently installed a program which i believe was called trapster which identified known radar speed traps near your location. I didn't really like the program so I uninstalled it. However, since then I have been unable to get a location on google maps less than "within 1400 meters, GPS unavailable".

So it seems as if my phone isn't detecting the GPS unit any longer. When I go to options (wrench), advanced options, GPS......the choices for GPS Data source are; device gps and blackberry 8330. I've tried both an neither seems to make the GPS available to googlemaps.

On the home screen I do indeed have the gps icon so it's on. I'm at a loss at this point. Any pointers?

Thanks,
    Raj
    01-03-09 03:29 PM
    google maps goes on cell phone towers, not gps. that is why it says 1400 m
    01-03-09 03:52 PM
    google maps goes on cell phone towers, not gps. that is why it says 1400 m
    Wrong! On a device with integrated GPS or an external GPS receiver Google
    Maps does not use triangulation but the actual GPS. Usually it will capture
    ones location to within 3 meters.
    01-03-09 04:01 PM
    I dont think thats correct, prior to installing "trapster", i was able to get readings as low as 10 meters. Anyone else able to back me up on this?
    01-03-09 04:02 PM
    I haven't gotten a location closer than 1400 m since installing google maps, but don't even get that on bb maps. Am I missing something? I have to manually zoom in to mark my location.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    01-03-09 04:08 PM
    Have you tried uninstalling Google Maps, rebooting the phone and
    reinstall it?
    01-03-09 04:09 PM
    I haven't gotten a location closer than 1400 m since installing google maps, but don't even get that on bb maps. Am I missing something? I have to manually zoom in to mark my location.

Yes, Verizon customers are all "missing something", that is Verizon has only unlocked the GPS functionality to BB Maps and VZNav.
    01-03-09 04:10 PM
    I am on verizon, so that expalins google. BB maps doesn't locate at all. Could they have that locked 2 trying to get users to buy vznav?

01-03-09 04:17 PM
    Yes, Verizon customers are all "missing something", that is Verizon has only unlocked the GPS functionality to BB Maps and VZNav.
    I am on verizon, so that expalins google. BB maps doesn't locate at all. Could they have that locked 2 trying to get users to buy vznav?
    The OP is on Sprint/Nextel not VZW.
    01-03-09 04:28 PM
    Mine is showing approximately 1.6mi off..
    01-03-09 04:39 PM

Upgrade to firmware 4.5.0.77. GPS is now unlocked but only for BB maps
    01-03-09 05:16 PM
    well i reinstalled googlemaps and now it works perfectly again. It's reading "less than 10 meters", it also upgraded to a newer version than i had. Thanks for your help everyone
    01-04-09 08:50 AM
    [QUOTE=katdoc;1325688]I haven't gotten a location closer than 1400 m since installing google maps, but don't even get that on bb maps. Am I missing something? I have to manually zoom in to mark my location.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com[/QUOTE

The GPS does not work on Google Maps for us Verizon customers. However if you have blackberry maps installed it works great! Verizon has only partially unlocked the device GPS.

I have had great luck using a bluetooth enabled GPS with my Curve. It is awesome!
    01-04-09 09:55 AM
    I am getting no location on bb map. I went into options and for gps says none, but gives no other option. would this be fixed with upgrade to 4.5 even tho no official verizon version available? Or is there something else I need to adjust?

01-04-09 01:17 PM
    Is there anyway to install BBMaps OTA or do we have to do it through the DM?
    01-04-09 01:32 PM
    pretty sure on att you do it through the dm. not sure about other networks. i like google maps though so im sticking with it..
    01-04-09 04:16 PM
    Is there anyway to install BBMaps OTA or do we have to do it through the DM?
    It's a part of the OS. If you do not have it on your phone then you must download the exact same OS to your PC and install it as is on your phone and then use DM on your PC to install it.

The only other way is to OTA a complete new OS from Verizon that should now have BBMaps included.
    01-04-09 05:28 PM
    I am getting no location on bb map. I went into options and for gps says none, but gives no other option. would this be fixed with upgrade to 4.5 even tho no official verizon version available? Or is there something else I need to adjust?

There is an official verizon upgrade to 4.5. It is available here BlackBerry® Software Updates
    01-04-09 07:38 PM
    Ok, thx! I will read up on doing that!

01-04-09 08:12 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD