Why is it that Blackberry Maps and Google Maps can't seem to find satellites while Garmin mobile and GPS Logger do so easily???
    03-21-10 07:36 PM
    Have you tried this approach? http://forums.crackberry.com/f2/fix-...ry-gps-443402/
    03-27-10 08:37 AM
    I did that. It said fixing was successful. So, I tried Maps again. After 5 min, still no signal. Tried Garmin and got a signal in 1 min.
    03-27-10 10:39 AM
    You've had problems with USCellular and GPS for almost two years now. I think it's time you considered changing carriers. At least for a trial.
    03-27-10 02:50 PM
    You've had problems with USCellular and GPS for almost two years now. I think it's time you considered changing carriers. At least for a trial.
    I would, but I have four people on a family plan and would need new phones. Since Garmin works I suspect it is a software problem, no?

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    03-27-10 06:19 PM
    The GPS used in BlackBerry devices can work in two ways, Assisted GPS and Autonomous GPS. Assisted Mode requires a signal from the carrier to work. That's how Verizon disables the GPS in the 8x30 BlackBerry devices. They only provide the required ground processing information for apps they authorize, BBMaps and Bing. Furthermore, Assisted Mode GPS won't work without a cell signal.

Autonomous GPS works by itself, just like a hand-held GPS from Garmin or Magellan or Tom-Tom. The 9x30 BlackBerry devices have Autonomous GPS chips, which means they don't require a carrier signal. I can turn off the network connection in my Verizon Tour 9630 and the GPS will continue to function.

I went into all that because it suggests a test you can perform. Try using Garmin with your network connection turned off. If the GPS stays connected, then Garmin is using the 8330 GPS in autonomous mode. There have been rumors that the chip in the 8x30 devices was capable of both modes. If Garmin works on your 8330 without a cell signal, then that confirms the rumor. It also would suggest that Google Maps and BBMaps are using the GPS in Assisted Mode, and that USCellular is having a problem delivering the required ground data.
    03-27-10 06:57 PM
    I turned off network connections as you suggested, and Garmin would not wok. By the way, BB Maps was working well two weeks ago and suddenly stopped!

03-27-10 07:38 PM
    Unfortunately, your last two pieces of information seem to point to your carrier as the problem. I don't know why Garmin can work when BBMaps cannot, but if BBMaps worked until recently, and Garmin still works, and you have changed neither, then I think you are left with USCellular as the likely source of the problem. Which doesn't really help you at all. I'm sorry.
    03-27-10 07:54 PM
    I started having problems with both Garmin and BB Maps on a recent trip when I went through an area with poor coverage. Garmin recovered later, but BB Maps did not.

I really appreciate your help. I guess I'll have to live wih it since I can't change carriers.

03-27-10 08:05 PM
    I assume you tried a battery pull reboot?
    03-27-10 08:20 PM
    I assume you tried a battery pull reboot?
    That's the first thing I do when I have a problem.

03-27-10 08:27 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD