Hey i have my 8350i nextel mexico, but i have a problem.
    when i try to use the gps of the BB, i cant use it in google maps, or Nav4all (free gps aplication).
    Nextel mexico tell me that i need to pay Telenav and then my gps will be aviable. But i dont want to pay.

I used to think that if any cellphone have gps, you only need to have internet conecction. but i think that i was wrong because i have gps and internet but my gps dont work

does anyone know how i can use my gps without pay to nextel the Telenav?
    03-04-09 08:00 PM
    First off, Google Maps uses cell tower triangulation - not GPS.

If your carrier is telling you that you will need to pay to utilize your device's GPS feature.... Then you will have to pay.
    03-04-09 08:09 PM
    First off, Google Maps uses cell tower triangulation - not GPS.

If your carrier is telling you that you will need to pay to utilize your device's GPS feature.... Then you will have to pay.
    Actually, while the beta disclaimer 'claims' to triangulate, it is indeed using your devices gps. (at least on the 8350i)
    Don't believe me? Disable your GPS under options and see if ya get anywhere.
    03-04-09 09:42 PM
    Hey i have my 8350i nextel mexico, but i have a problem.
    when i try to use the gps of the BB, i cant use it in google maps, or Nav4all (free gps aplication).
    Nextel mexico tell me that i need to pay Telenav and then my gps will be aviable. But i dont want to pay.

I used to think that if any cellphone have gps, you only need to have internet conecction. but i think that i was wrong because i have gps and internet but my gps dont work

does anyone know how i can use my gps without pay to nextel the Telenav?
    Have you downloaded the absolute latest version of google maps? This was the case initially, but version 3.0.2 (or something like that) fixed it and it now uses the gps quite fast and accurately.
    03-04-09 09:43 PM
    Yes im using google maps 3.0.2 but my gps dont work.
    But im scary about if my gps is fine or is broken, because when i go to Options-advanced options-GPS-reload gps location
    my BB star to find satellites but it never find the satellites.

i want to use my gps for free
    03-05-09 12:20 AM
    What type of plan do you have in mexico? do they have simply everything? this comes with telenav included i have telenav and the bb gps they both work here in the u.s.
    03-05-09 12:33 AM
    Yes im using google maps 3.0.2 but my gps dont work.
    But im scary about if my gps is fine or is broken, because when i go to Options-advanced options-GPS-reload gps location

i want to use my gps for free
    You do need to be outside, with a wide view of the sky, to get lock on your gps.
    While it's possible to do this inside, if you've moved great distances (or the phone has) since it was last initialized, it may take a while to lock on.
    Do you have any data plan at all on your phone? Or is data shut off?
    My gut instinct tells me the 8350i uses the network to download recent almanac data to the gps reciever, so it doesnt need to get it from the sat. signals. (This speeds up performance).
    So if you have no data at all, it could be an issue.
    03-05-09 02:13 AM
    This was my experience until I installed v.128 of the software. Now the GPS gets a lock within 30 seconds, usually much faster.
    03-05-09 05:41 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD