I used the map for the first time the other day and noticed it only gave me map quest type directions, so I started playing around with the phone and found out that I apparently didn't have the gps activated. I went into settings and then and changed GPS services to location on, but It still doesn't navigate in maps, is there a setting I have to turn on I am missing?
    12-18-08 11:01 PM
    as stated in other areas of the forum GPS only works with Blackberry maps not Google maps with Verizon, which are you trying to use? go through the GPS area below.. tons of questions answered there.... Good Luck
    12-18-08 11:21 PM
    Im using the map software that comes with the phone, its an 8330 from verizon.
    12-18-08 11:57 PM
    After you use Get Directions and enter your destination, using Where I Am, press the menu key and select Start GPS Navigation. I believe that's what you want.
    12-19-08 01:21 AM
    I used the map for the first time the other day and noticed it only gave me map quest type directions, so I started playing around with the phone and found out that I apparently didn't have the gps activated. I went into settings and then and changed GPS services to location on, but It still doesn't navigate in maps, is there a setting I have to turn on I am missing?
    What I suggest is you exit the GPS application then go to the GPS settings in Options/Advance Options/ GPS ones you tun it on you have to hit the menu key and select Refresh GPS....... Then it will lock down to the location you are.. Save settings and then reopen the GPS application... Remember to be in an open environment when using the GPS...
    12-19-08 01:42 AM
    When I go to Options>Advanced>GPS.and hit menu I do not have a "refresh GPS option". It works OK using BB Maps. I downloaded Google Maps for BB per the instructiona on Mathiaszellers site and it worked the first few times I used it (over a week) but now it only shows the closest cell tower.(Verizon)
    Julian
    12-19-08 11:18 AM
    Launch GMaps and leave it up and running for a bit, in a couple threads and posts people said to/they had to let it GMaps run for a while before the GPS locked in. The refresh option is available after you go to Opt>Adv Opt>GPS and hit the BB Menu key, once you select refresh it will take up to a few min to detect the sats and get your location so the government can find you, jk, i think...
    12-19-08 11:24 AM
    What if you don't have the refresh GPS option?

Thanks
    12-19-08 11:59 AM
    Google Maps does not use GPS on Verizon. It is locked. BBMaps is unlocked.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    12-19-08 12:05 PM
    I went into Options>advanced options>gps> my only choices are GPS Data Source and It is set to Device GPS there is no other options available. The other option is GPS Services which is set to location on my only other choice is 911 only. then I hit menu and my only options are change option, call voice mail, save, switch application, and close. Then I went back to Advanced options selected maps I have Default service Blackberry Maps - NA. Next I exited back to the Applications screen and opened the blackberry maps hit menu and "Where am I?" is not a choice, then I hit menu again and choce options and it brought me to
    GPS Settings:
    GPS Source: None (No other choices)
    Backlight Time out When: 100% Battery

System Of Measurement: Imperial
    Hide Title Bar: Yes
    Default Service: BlackBerry Maps - NA (No Other CHoices)
    Data Downloaded Size 21.6KB

So Im not sure what wrong here any Ideas?
    12-19-08 01:59 PM
    I don't have refresh GPS as an option either.
    12-19-08 02:34 PM
    Maybe this has been missed, but what OS do you have?

12-19-08 02:35 PM
    I'm running 4.5.0.97
    12-19-08 02:39 PM
    I'm running 4.5.0.97
    I'm running version 4.3.o.127 on a verizon 8330 fone.

12-19-08 09:21 PM
    Is my version a non gps version or something?
    12-20-08 11:21 AM
    Just a thought but a while pack I remember using PKseem editor on my Motorola Razr to unlock the features Verizon killed, is there anything like that for the Blackberry?
    12-20-08 11:23 AM
    Yea. I can't seem to get my BBMaps to give turn by turn directions either. I think it may be because of my cell phone provider, but not sure
    12-20-08 11:28 AM
    Yea. I can't seem to get my BBMaps to give turn by turn directions either. I think it may be because of my cell phone provider, but not sure
    12-20-08 11:30 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD