My GPS seems to be very inconsistent on my Storm. It works fine with VZ Navigator, but on Google Maps it has been giving my an approximate location within 1300 meters and on Blackberry Maps and Weatherbug and Superpages the GPS doesn't seem to be responding at all.

I have all the applications set to allow GPS access and the GPS settings are correct.

I know they all work because we went out of town for a wedding this past weekend and I used the GPS functions on everything and it was quick and easy. I'm located in Baltimore City, but about twenty miles away now. It is cloudy out today, but the same inconsistencies happen in nice weather.

I guess my questions are: 1. Is it my location or is it my phone 2. Is there a simple setting I need to change to allow access?

I am running .132 and it had worked great with that prior to the last couple of days.
    04-29-09 03:23 PM
    I have never been able to get google Maps to work for me. Seems like it is always at least a city off.
    04-29-09 03:24 PM
    Well let's start with this what version of Google Maps do you have?
    04-29-09 03:24 PM
    Well let's start with this what version of Google Maps do you have?
    That would be my guess. Google Maps tracks me within 3 meters.
    04-29-09 03:27 PM
    v3.0.2
    It's gotten me to within 3 meters but 1300 now. It seems like the GPS stops working every now and then on everything except VZ Nav
    04-29-09 03:30 PM
    I am indoor and mine is at 6 meters
    04-29-09 03:30 PM
    VZ nav uses aGPS that somehow combines information on the VZW network with the autonomous GPS satellites that the phone "sees".

I don't know the ins / outs or the exact differences between aGPS and Autonomous GPS, but that would be why VZ Nav can find you when normal GPS can't.

I did find the following explanation from this thread http://forums.crackberry.com/f41/storm-gps-182366/ helpful though

The Storm's GPS supports both Autonomous and Assisted modes of operation. As long as an application knows how to use the GPS in Autonomous mode, then yes, it should work on the Storm. Google Maps for Mobile devices (GMM) until recently did not know how to use the Storm's GPS in Autonomous mode, so did not work with any accuracy on the Storm. Version 3.0.2 fixes that, and works very nicely.

The difference between Assisted and Autonomous is that the former requires access to network resources that Verizon restricts access to, while the latter doesn't. On other carriers, those resources aren't restricted. An advantage to Assisted GPS (aGPS) is that the initial Time to Fix is much faster than Autonomous mode, and can aid the device in obtaining a fix in areas (such as indoors) where a conventional GPS might not otherwise. Because of this, some applications are designed to invoke the location-based-services (LBS) functionality with the Assist feature specified, and that fails on Verizon as well as some other carriers with the same restriction. Those that fall back to Autonomous mode should work fine, but generally only outside with a relatively clear view of the sky.

The above is no doubt why it's been difficult to obtain a straight answer, because that answer is usually "it depends."
    As for not working, I have had mine "stop" for a few hours, normally later at night, when maybe there aren't enough Global Positioning Satellites in "view" of my device. I have had similar results with (older) stand alone GPS units not being able to get a fix on me.

Has yours stopped working completely, all day every day? or does it just not work sometimes?
    Last edited by dtubbs06; 04-29-09 at 03:40 PM.
    04-29-09 03:36 PM
    I guess the thing that is most irritating for me is that it does work sometimes. With .132 is phone is running the best it has and when the GPS is working I couldn't ask for more. Maybe it's just the location, I don't know.
    04-29-09 03:43 PM
    I guess the thing that is most irritating for me is that it does work sometimes. With .132 is phone is running the best it has and when the GPS is working I couldn't ask for more. Maybe it's just the location, I don't know.
    What OS were you on before .132? have you tried downgrading back to that version to see if the issue disappears?
    04-29-09 03:45 PM
    .122 before that. It has been this way since I first got it.
    04-29-09 03:47 PM
    mine was not very accurate either until I turned GPS Data Source to Device GPS, GPS Srevices to Location On, and Location aiding to Enabled. now its dead on. I hear that VZ restricts assisted GPS, but heck I dont think it can be any more accurate. when I start Gmaps it starts far then within seconds its on.
    04-29-09 04:29 PM
    something else to mention is that after I made those settings each program that uses gps asked me of I would allow access to GPS location. didnt ask with the default settings, so I'm sure thats the reason location was way off and my weather and other things didnt work for me
    04-29-09 04:32 PM
    As soon as I left work yesterday the GPS was working just fine. I think it's just the location I'm in at work. For some reason we get really bad radio reception here too. When I'm outside though it works like a charm.
    04-30-09 02:26 PM
    Same issue here with the .132 and GPS. Worked great before the .132. Now Weatherbug and Maps will not update. In fact it drained my battery trying to search.....

I get the idea it is just .132 from the thread
    05-06-09 01:55 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD