I dont know if anyone else has had this problem, but I cant get the GPS to work on my phone.

Phone: 8130 Pearl
    Provider: Telus

When I start BlackBerry Maps and then start the GPS navigation, it gets stuck on Searching for Satellite and then eventually dies with a message saying "Unable to acquire GPS lock"

It doesnt work with Google maps either.
    01-11-08 04:55 PM
    Options > Advanced > GPS... what do you see?

Do you have a BB Data Plan?
    01-11-08 05:06 PM
    same problem already returned one... called technical support and i knew more than they did about my problem...i think i'm gunna return it and get the htc touch or something
    01-11-08 05:14 PM
    Yes, I have a unlimted plan from Telus

GPS Data Source: Device GPS
    GPS Services: Location ON
    01-11-08 05:23 PM
    at the GPS... click menu to refresh, do satellites find it, how many? what doe sit say?
    01-11-08 05:37 PM
    I dont see that option.
    01-11-08 06:08 PM
    I am with Bell Mobility. I had the same problem of you with Blackberry maps. I give you the link to upgrade your jad application and after that you can download BB maps without problem. Here is the link: TeleNav. Try it and see what happen. I now you are with telus. If you don't try, you will never know if it work.
    01-11-08 08:14 PM
    I gota ask.... Since when does the 8130 have GPS in it? It's a Pearl 8100, but CDMA radio technology (the 30 part of it).
    01-11-08 08:18 PM
    All the 8130's have GPS.

(except for Verizon's which is crippled)

Overview
    The BlackBerry Pearl™ 8130 smartphone is designed to help you do everything you want with your life. It comes complete with advanced phone features, multimedia, digital camera, video recording, built-in GPS* and expandable memory.

*Please check with your service provider for supported features and services, as well as device color availability.
    Quote above taken from: BlackBerry - BlackBerry Pearl Wireless Handheld Device | Email, GPS, Instant Messaging, Camera & Smartphone
    Last edited by John Clark; 01-11-08 at 08:32 PM.
    01-11-08 08:29 PM
    All the 8130's have GPS.
    aGPS is more like it. Not traditional GPS like in the GSM 8800 series. Hense the reason why no CDMA Blackberry to date has the full menu options under GPS like the 8800 GSM series does.
    01-11-08 11:23 PM
    I have a brand new Pearl (8130) from US Cellular and it won't find a satellite either. Tech support says this is a problem they are getting more reports on, and will send the info to RIM. The tech person couldn't get it to work on their Pearl either! I have 30 days to decide if I want this....

John
    02-16-08 04:10 PM
    I had the same problem with sprint, after calling customer service many times it just started to work, it would never work while I was on the phone with them. A friend had a 8130 and it worked from the begining for him.
    02-16-08 04:14 PM
    US Cellular released the 8130 a couple weeks ago. It has GPS, but apparently they are using line of sight satellite downloads, not cell towers. As a result, they say the Pearl is having difficulty getting the satellite fix. Apparently it will require some kind of fix, perhaps going back to cell towers. They said it is not likely a hardware issue. How could RIM ever allow this release?

The question I'm faced with is whether I keep it or not. US Cellular has a 30 day return policy. But since the Curve is not available, my only other option is lose the camera. Very frustrating, as now I am getting addicted to BB, I hate to go back to cell phone and separate PDA. At least if they would offer a discount on the BB service. Decisions....

Frustrated in NC,
    John
    02-17-08 09:04 PM
    So if Verizon locked the GPS can I use a Bluetooth GPS like I did with my axim?
    Thanks!

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    02-17-08 09:20 PM
    You can use a bluetooth gps with Verizon. I am using the Freedom Keychain gps 2000 with a Verizon 8830. I used two tracking programs today (at the same time) to follow my 30 mile bike ride - fairly fascinating. I could log on to the web and see the route.

It also works with GoogleMaps, BBMaps and other software.
    02-18-08 12:35 AM
    That sounds like some great software. I will have to check it out.
    02-18-08 10:10 AM
    Awesome! What's the trick to get the external GPS to connect within google maps or my BB maps even? I was able to connect it to the pearl just not via those Apps

02-18-08 11:23 AM
    I figured it out. Buried in the GPS options of the phone and the apps. Solid.

02-18-08 11:38 AM
    I finally got mine to work. I stood outside, clear night, and faced the south. After about 5 mins, it worked. I tried again in the house, success. I tried later in the house, no success. It's not a robust GPS system, that's for sure.

John
    02-18-08 08:32 PM
    Hello,

I have a 8130 from Telus in Canada. Gps here are working great. Last week I was in Virginia and the GPS never, ever started... no satellites found... 2 8130 and no GPS. 2 IDEN phones and full gps and satellites... quite strange..

On the way home, i tried the gps thing again around Orange County NY and without any changes, it worked perfectly.... almost 15 satellites in sight

This, and the reading of many posts lead me to think that the gps function is somewhat linked with the provider or something like that

Martin
    08-18-08 10:40 PM
    I figured it out. Buried in the GPS options of the phone and the apps. Solid.

So what is the solution?

Chad
    11-29-08 12:27 PM
    I'm new to this, but my gps stopped working once i upgraded to the new software v4.5.0.77
    anybody have any suggestions?
    11-30-08 04:03 AM
    I'm new to this, but my gps stopped working once i upgraded to the new software v4.5.0.77
    anybody have any suggestions?
    What did you upgrade from?
    11-30-08 04:49 AM
    I have an 8330 Curve with US Cellular. I previously had an 8830. Gps had been a problem on both for a long time. I finally gave up and got a Freedom keychain, which works really great with LiveSearch. Now, for some unknown reason, my internal gps has started working fairly well. I use BBMaps and Google Maps with the internal gps, which I select from the programs' option menus, and the Freedon keychain with Live Search (which I select from the WLS options). Now I have three gps programs that work, but the keychain and WLS are by far the most reliable.
    12-01-08 06:46 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD