From my unnderstanding, using a Blackberry GPS (built in or puck), you need to have service in order to download maps. That doesn't make to much sense to me. If your lost some where without service your SOL. Is their any type of modification for this? 3rd party software on SD card?
    03-30-08 11:20 PM
    No modification that I'm aware of. 3rd party apps can't be saved to media card.
    03-31-08 12:45 AM
    No modification that I'm aware of. 3rd party apps can't be saved to media card.
    Dont you find that a little weird?
    03-31-08 02:08 AM
    I don't know about that device but there are two gps programs that allow pre-downloading maps. I have used and played with trekbuddy and there is another I have not tried - check the gps section.
    03-31-08 08:45 AM
    I don't know about that device but there are two gps programs that allow pre-downloading maps. I have used and played with trekbuddy and there is another I have not tried - check the gps section.
    On a Blackberry?

On other phones, ya I no. Theres a TON of programs out there
    03-31-08 09:26 PM
    Trekbuddy works on my 8830. I have read about another that starts with a "G" (not google)
    03-31-08 10:56 PM
    Trekbuddy works on my 8830. I have read about another that starts with a "G" (not google)
    How do you like the trek buddy? does it work as good as a regular GPS?
    03-31-08 11:07 PM
    How can you be found if there aren't any data to connect the phone. you'll need DATA for the "Position" in GPS to function properly. Any other program that allow downloaded map is just a MAP.
    03-31-08 11:08 PM
    How can you be found if there aren't any data to connect the phone. you'll need DATA for the "Position" in GPS to function properly. Any other program that allow downloaded map is just a MAP.
    You shouldn't have to have Data. Its ********. Like I mentioned in my OP.

Palm doesn't have that problem. Either do other phones. N95's, some Sony Ericson's...etc. They have preloaded maps on sd cards, and Use a Bluetooth GPS puck to get the fix. Tracking on the map in real time.
    Last edited by dpslusser; 03-31-08 at 11:17 PM.
    03-31-08 11:13 PM
    Theoretically speaking, GPS receiver is detecting the position and if we a have a downloaded map and software which makes use of that GPS receiver to detect current location and use preloaded map to calculate the destination, we shouldn't be needing the data plan.
    04-30-08 08:46 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD