The Storm comes with a built in GPS if I'm correct. So is there a way to use a different program rather than VZNAV?
    11-23-08 07:48 PM
    You can get the Google Maps app... its not audible turn by turn directions but its google maps so its all there too
    11-23-08 07:49 PM
    Right now, the storm GPS works with Verizon Navigator and BB Maps. Not that the GPS is locked, but google maps seems to be having a problem with it. Maybe a google maps upgrade will solve this issue.
    11-23-08 07:51 PM
    The GPS does not work yet in Google maps for the Storm. This has been discussed in a million threads. As far as I know there is no other app besides the Backberry maps app that works with GPS.
    11-23-08 07:51 PM
    Not sure if AmazeGPS and/or Nav4all are good for the Storm's screen resolution. Both Free and since I'm on WAP I'll have to leave the searching to you. I'm currently testing both on my Bold.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    11-23-08 07:52 PM
    Alright thanks guys-- I'll be getting my storm on the 25th and can't wait! However I had a Voyager and VZNAV was free with that phone--I can't imagine paying 120 a year for something that I've been getting for free for the past 8 Months. Anyway I'll be sure to try some things out before my "trial" VZNAV runs out (although I understand getting rid of it makes the phone much faster)
    11-23-08 07:59 PM
    Never tried amaze gps but nav4all works! Gps is spot on, BUT! It is horrible to use on the storm. Very difficult to navigate around and you cannot type landscape mode.

11-23-08 07:59 PM
    Ihave tried AmazeGPS and while installs and loads ok, I cannot expand the Address list past Armenia. In general it doesn't work. I had downloaded the Bold version I think.
    11-23-08 08:04 PM
    Checking out amazegps right now... looks like they have one made for the storm 9500. I will report back after I've given a test run

direct link

LocatioNet
    11-23-08 08:06 PM
    Not sure if AmazeGPS and/or Nav4all are good for the Storm's screen resolution. Both Free and since I'm on WAP I'll have to leave the searching to you. I'm currently testing both on my Bold.

Nav4all works but hard to use and can't use in landscape. Not realy made for the storm. AmazeGPS looks terrific in landscape but I can not get it to work. Not sure if the GPS part does not work with this program or somethig elase. Any one get it to work.
    11-23-08 08:11 PM
    did you get it to pick up the GPS?
    11-23-08 08:12 PM
    Fail!

Amazegps and nav4all are not ment to be used on the storm... navigating is actually very tricky and complicated!

Amazegps I could not get a GPS lock, but with nav4all I could.

Storm is still brand spanking new... I guess the only think I can do is be patient and wait for a GOOD navi app for the storm. I really want this feature to work! turn by turn directions w/o paying an additional $10 a month
    11-23-08 08:28 PM
    Fail!

Amazegps and nav4all are not ment to be used on the storm... navigating is actually very tricky and complicated!

Amazegps I could not get a GPS lock, but with nav4all I could.

Storm is still brand spanking new... I guess the only think I can do is be patient and wait for a GOOD navi app for the storm. I really want this feature to work! turn by turn directions w/o paying an additional $10 a month
    If you are patient you will be happily surprised. The storm requires a slightly altered build but when it works it is great. The landscape and large screen as well as the quick internet connections really make it great. The Garmin Mobile will really take advantage of all these things plus weather and traffic and fuel prices.
    It is not released yet though.
    11-25-08 06:30 PM
    Never tried amaze gps but nav4all works! Gps is spot on, BUT! It is horrible to use on the storm. Very difficult to navigate around and you cannot type landscape mode.

how did you get it to work in portrait mode? I could not get it to type a second letter on any of the sure type keys. We you using multi-tap? How do you activate that. I had to make up an email with leading letters only...
    11-25-08 06:38 PM
    BB Maps are good. How do you get google maps though??
    11-25-08 06:40 PM
    SEARCH!

Google.com > Google Maps Mobile > hit I am feeling luck and tada!

or you can go to m.google.com/maps in your browser.
    11-25-08 06:44 PM
    oh ok, cool.

is there away to download it to your home screen, or applications/downloads folder?
    11-25-08 06:47 PM
    Does the BB maps come default on the Storm?
    11-25-08 06:50 PM
    yes. it should be in applications
    11-25-08 06:54 PM
    SEARCH!

Google.com > Google Maps Mobile > hit I am feeling luck and tada!

or you can go to m.google.com/maps in your browser.
    Google Apps for your phone: Google Mobile

Google Maps for your phone: Google Mobile - Maps

Does the BB maps come default on the Storm?
    yes. it should be in applications
    Yup! This is a great link too: http://forums.crackberry.com/f2/popu...d-links-21096/

Last edited by PvT; 11-25-08 at 07:00 PM. Reason: added link
    11-25-08 06:56 PM
    how did you get it to work in portrait mode? I could not get it to type a second letter on any of the sure type keys. We you using multi-tap? How do you activate that. I had to make up an email with leading letters only...
    The easiest way to get Nav4all to work is to select one of your contacts, obviously one that you have already input their address, and then pull up the Blackberry menu. One of the options you will se is "Navigate to (Nav4all)", select that and then it walks you right everything, and off you go. I used it this morning on my way to work, and it performed perfectly.
    11-26-08 09:01 AM
    I used to use Telenav on my 8830 along with an external bluetooth GPS module. Since Telenav apparently needs an update to work with the new screen size and UI of the Storm I decided to give VZ Navigator a try.

In short, it's HORRIBLE compared to Telenav. In a short 5 minute drive, the map download timed out 3 times. I never heard an audible direction and all I saw was the data timeout error the entire time.

I will be anxiously awaiting the return of Telenav once they get the software updated.
    11-26-08 09:16 AM
    Please help. I'm trying to load Nav4all and it requires a valid email address. However, the screen is in suretype mode (I think) and therefore, I can't type a valid email address. I can't even get the @ symbol to appear. And if I try to rotate the phone the accellerometer doesn't do anything.
    11-26-08 09:30 AM
    The easiest way to get Nav4all to work is to select one of your contacts, obviously one that you have already input their address, and then pull up the Blackberry menu. One of the options you will se is "Navigate to (Nav4all)", select that and then it walks you right everything, and off you go. I used it this morning on my way to work, and it performed perfectly.
    Thanks, I did not think of that. I wonder how long before they produce a Storm friendly update

In short, it's HORRIBLE compared to Telenav. In a short 5 minute drive, the map download timed out 3 times. I never heard an audible direction and all I saw was the data timeout error the entire time.
    That happened all the time to me when I previously used VZ Nav, and I live in a large metro area (DC) I would have to completely exit and come back in which was not very helpful while driving

Please help. I'm trying to load Nav4all and it requires a valid email address. However, the screen is in suretype mode (I think) and therefore, I can't type a valid email address. I can't even get the @ symbol to appear. And if I try to rotate the phone the accelerometer doesn't do anything.
    That same problem occurs in Nav4All. Hopefully an update will fix it. Cut and paste is really your only other option. It seems that computability mode is currently locked to portrait mode with some programs
    11-26-08 10:58 AM
    Won't even let me cut and paste my email for Nav4all. I'm deleting it and I'll wait for a update to reinstall.
    11-26-08 02:27 PM
70 123
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD