Hi, I am a rogers customer, got my bold last friday. My GPS doesn't work, in the menu it doesn't give a location, I can't find blackberry maps anywhere (tried all the tips given to me on this forum) I don't really want to use it for maps as much as I do for the greenfinder application, but the GPS just isn't working. I have a blackberry network data plan, so I don't know why nothing is happening as people have said you have to have a data plan for it to be active. Is this device defective or is there something I am missing?

Any insight would be appreciated. Thanks!
    08-28-08 08:58 AM
    GPS should work and give you Lat/Long even if you don't have a cell signal. Make sure you're outside, BB with unobstructed view of the sky, and give it plenty of time to download from the satellites (a marine GPS can take up to 40 minutes in some cases for first startup). If it still doesn't have position - its broken and its still under warranty.
    08-28-08 10:24 AM
    I had the same problem and I called Rogers Blackbberry support and he told me that I didn't have the correct BB data plan so he put me through the data support and get this according to them the 6gig data plan is not on their system for the BOLD yet and that she was gong to put me in the 300meg "unlimited" data plan because she did not have the option to add the 6gig data and that rogers is fixing this technicality soon.

So you might be on a different data not a blackberry data and that is why you can't see your "BB Maps icon"

After I switch my Bold off and on again I noticed that the 3G icon was different it has the BB logo you know the "DOTS" beside it and sure enough all my "expected" icons appeared.
    08-28-08 11:39 AM
    hey,

i've noticed that my gps sometimes doesn't work too.

turning on wifi (and then turning it off again) seems to get it going again.

..don't know why maps icon doesn't show, but google maps is nicer (imho).
    08-28-08 03:59 PM
    hey,

i've noticed that my gps sometimes doesn't work too.

turning on wifi (and then turning it off again) seems to get it going again.

..don't know why maps icon doesn't show, but google maps is nicer (imho).
    yea but the whole issue is BB maps is integrated. You cant paste into google and other things. But yea go into options and try refreshing your gps signal. If you dont get anything within 10 minutes ur berry is probably faulty and you should return it.
    08-28-08 04:10 PM
    The first time you ever use your GPS it will take a while. However, do remember you have to be outdoors really for it to work well. If for some reason the OS didn't come with BB maps, go to Options>>Advanced Options>>GPS>>Refresh GPS, and wait for a location to appear.

If nothing appears then your unit may be faulty. If you're willing to reinstall the OS and try again.. then if nothing still, go back to the store!
    08-29-08 12:14 AM
    Don't you need Tele Nav to use GPS??
    08-29-08 11:14 AM
    Don't you need Tele Nav to use GPS??
    To get location information from GPS on the device you don't need any additional software. Just go to Options>Advanced Options>GPS>Refresh. This will give you your location.

However, that is not too useful on its own. There are many programs out there which use this information to provide you with something that is useful, such as TeleNav, Google Maps, BB Maps, Garmin, ect.... These are all mapping programs. The GPS can also be used to get things like speed, geotagging, ect.. and there is software that handles that.

So, GPS is a hardware feature that gives longitude and latitude information to the device. Any software can utilize this information, with many possibilities.
    08-29-08 03:09 PM
    hey wtf i just posted this info two seconds ago thanks a lot guys. but thanks for the info my gps doesnt work ill call rogers tonight and argue
    08-29-08 03:22 PM
    The first time you ever use your GPS it will take a while. However, do remember you have to be outdoors really for it to work well. If for some reason the OS didn't come with BB maps, go to Options>>Advanced Options>>GPS>>Refresh GPS, and wait for a location to appear.
    That solved my issue I was searching for, thanks!!!
    11-04-08 02:41 PM
    I bought my Bold yesterday at an AT&T store. Tried refreshing my GPS last night and today standing at the bus stop, Lat and Long still read all zeros. Number of Satellites is also zero. I guess I'll be heading back to the store.
    11-05-08 12:22 PM
    if not there is a free way to get gps on ur bold search the forums gps withou any data plan
    good luck
    04-02-09 04:22 PM
    GPS "Refresh" worked for me!
    07-02-10 02:16 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD