Tried to use the trial version of Garmin Mobile last night and it simply said "acquiring satellite" the whole time I tried to use the service, and when I went into the garmin settings menu it said "no gps signal"

I know for a fact I have GPS enabled on my 8330. Is my phone broken? Anyway to test the GPS device?
    06-09-08 12:30 AM
    Does BB Maps work for you?

Were you outside with an unobstructed view of the sky?
    06-09-08 01:08 AM
    BB Maps itself works, but the GPS function of BBmaps does not. It says "searching for satellites" then it comes back with "Unable to acquire GPS lock"

Could somebody walk me through making sure my GPS is turned on and all my permissions are correct? I'm still a no0b at this.
    06-09-08 02:46 AM
    I thought I had the same problem with my gps and bb maps when I first got my 8330. But it eventually worked when I was outside or by a window in my house. What I first use to acquired the satilites is the program 'gpsed' which seems to get a lock faster than bb maps. After the gpsed program is tracking, I turn on the gps navigation of bb maps and it takes a minute or two and away it goes.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    06-09-08 06:21 AM
    I thought I had the same problem with my gps and bb maps when I first got my 8330. But it eventually worked when I was outside or by a window in my house. What I first use to acquired the satilites is the program 'gpsed' which seems to get a lock faster than bb maps. After the gpsed program is tracking, I turn on the gps navigation of bb maps and it takes a minute or two and away it goes.

Just tried that program, and its a no go as well. Says "GPS connecting" in the top left hand corner and thats it.
    06-09-08 11:52 AM
    Goto options>advanced options>GPS click the menu button And refresh the gps. After that let me know what it says.
    06-09-08 11:57 AM
    Goto options>advanced options>GPS click the menu button And refresh the gps. After that let me know what it says.
    Okay, I did that and when I press the "menu" button when "GPS" is highlighted all I get is the option to "close" nothing else pops up. No choice to "refresh" either
    06-09-08 07:07 PM
    Matt, do you haveverizon? If so they had RIM disable the gps feature in all of their phones so it wont work at all
    06-11-08 09:47 AM
    No. I have alltel

06-11-08 10:46 PM
    Interesting. I am using the trial of Garmin on my curve 8310 and it detects the built in GPS just fine and is VERY fast at locking the satellites.

The problem though is that MapQuest Navigator and CoPilot Live 7 can not acquire the satellites (even though Google Maps and Garmin can at the same time).

I didn't try Telenav on this phone because I didn't like the interface when I was using my 8320 with the Freedom Keychain GPS 2000 (which by the way, was an EXCELLENT GPS puck).
    06-14-08 01:29 PM
    CoPilot Live works great with my Verizon 8830 using my Freedom Keychain 2000. I couldn't get it to work until I set the connection type to Gateway. Garmin won't work for me because it doesn't support Verizon phones. Simpler for them than dealing with external GPS's.

06-14-08 01:58 PM
    so what's a guy to do?
    06-14-08 07:33 PM
    Can you confirm via Garmin's web site that they support alltel? They list the carriers they support, but I only remember that they don't Verizon.

06-14-08 07:43 PM
    I'm having the same problem on my Alltel 8830. The GPS doesn't seem to work at all. I'm going to try the GPSED app that others have succeeded with, but it really sounds like a hardware issue.

MG

06-17-08 09:13 AM
    I'm having the same problem on my Alltel 8830. The GPS doesn't seem to work at all. I'm going to try the GPSED app that others have succeeded with, but it really sounds like a hardware issue.

MG

06-17-08 11:02 AM
    MG: you're duplicating your posts. If you're wondering why you can't see them posted when you post from wapforums, you have to press the "r" key while the cursor is outside the reply box to refresh your cache. Then they'll show up.

Don't worry about it, everybody does this at least once!
    06-17-08 11:11 AM
    I have an 8330 from Verizon is there any way to turn the GPS on?
    06-17-08 08:20 PM
    I have an 8330 from Verizon is there any way to turn the GPS on?
    Its not so much an issue of turning the GPS on, Verizon locks the gps so you either have to pay to use their telenav service, or buy a bluetooth GPS puck. Screw TNV, I will gladly order a puck and use all the free software everyone else uses. You can get GPS pucks in the crackberry store, from buygpsnow.com, as well as semsons.com I am sure there are a bunch of other places, but those 3 come to mind. Shop around and find the best deal you can.
    06-17-08 08:55 PM
    well I got it to work. I did a battery pull and then went and drove around and I got a connection on both GPS'd and BB maps
    06-19-08 10:50 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD