I was on the road today and tried to use Blackberry Maps, but when I turned on the GPS and it was searching for my location, it never found me. It did this to me the other day and never found my location either. But then I tried it a day later and it worked. Is there a setting that could be preventing it from picking my location up? Is anyone else having this problem? Thanks for any help.
    04-17-09 04:40 PM
    First go to Options, Advanced Options, GPS and make sure you have GPS Data source set to Device GPS, GPS Services set to Location On and Location Aiding enabled (this one not so important just starts the GPS quicker).

Then when using BB Maps be sure you start the GPS and you get a reading as to the number of satellites. To start the GPS either select the satellite icon on the lower right of the screen or select start GPS from the menu, wait a few seconds and you should get a number between 8 and 12 in most places (outside). You should be good to go then!

Hope this answers your question..
    04-17-09 05:27 PM
    Make sure you have a clear view of the sky. It will not work inside a building (or inside a car, unless you have a clear shot out the window.)
    04-17-09 05:35 PM
    Thanks for the help, but I just checked, and those were the settings that I had. It still says searching for satellites and then it won't connect. This is really weird because it usually works perfectly.
    04-17-09 05:35 PM
    What software release are you on for the BB? If it's .75 (latest official release), then check your available memory under Options, Status. If it is much less then 25M or even 30M, do a battery pull and try BB Maps again. I bet it will work. Post here if it does. If it does not, take 2 aspirin and hope someone else has an idea in the morning :-)

Maybe try a battery pull no matter how much memory you show just to be sure!!
    Last edited by pete1118; 04-17-09 at 08:40 PM.
    04-17-09 08:37 PM
    Make sure you have a clear view of the sky. It will not work inside a building (or inside a car, unless you have a clear shot out the window.)
    +1 to this

Autonomous GPS (like what is unlocked on the Storm) requires a fairly clear sky or can take a while to lock your exact location. I've seen it take 15 minutes in semi bad weather, or not at all if inside a building or really bad weather.

Stand alone GPS units can have this same problem.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    04-17-09 08:57 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD