So when I use Google maps its not accurate, usually saying this is your location within a 1400 meters. On my old phone it was accurate as ****. I have Location On, and this thing still doesn't work. Any advice?
    06-04-10 04:36 PM
    Google maps will get you to 10 feet.

Get youself to a place where you have good sight of a large portion of sky.

Sit down 'cuz this is gonna take ten minutes.

Run Google Maps and press 0

You will see the positional resolution displayed.

Gve it a few minutes and do it agan. As the GPS come on line 1, 2 ,3 ,4 satellites, your approximate positional resolution will decrease to a final 3 meters (10').

That's it really but you must give it time.
    06-04-10 04:43 PM
    Make sure you have all permissions set to Allow in Google Maps. Open BlackBerry Maps and see if it locks onto satellites.

Also try going outside, open Google Maps and hit R for Refresh a few times.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    06-04-10 04:44 PM
    Let me piggy Back on this thread and ask, if you leave location on all the time will it suck battery or will it only use extra battery when actually engaged like when in use, like google maps?
    06-05-10 07:43 AM
    My experience is that the GPS in the 9650 is far superior to virtually any other device I've used, including standalone/dedicated units.

I was sitting in my kitchen last night, close to dead center of my house (a 2 story colonial style), with a floor above me. When I fired up GMM, it showed my location within 100 meters immediately, and had the resolution down to 10 meters within 60 seconds. I had nothing remotely like a clear view of the sky, and no other GPS device I've used would work from that location.

To say that I was amazed would be an understatement . . .
    06-05-10 08:22 AM
    I loaded Google maps on my 9650 and I get Google Maps has been denied the "Cross Application Communication" permission. How can I fix that?
    Thanks
    06-09-10 11:53 AM
    My experience is that the GPS in the 9650 is far superior to virtually any other device I've used, including standalone/dedicated units.

I was sitting in my kitchen last night, close to dead center of my house (a 2 story colonial style), with a floor above me. When I fired up GMM, it showed my location within 100 meters immediately, and had the resolution down to 10 meters within 60 seconds. I had nothing remotely like a clear view of the sky, and no other GPS device I've used would work from that location.

To say that I was amazed would be an understatement . . .
    Yup, and try zooming in while in satellite view and it will show you where you are in you house.

06-09-10 12:22 PM
    I loaded Google maps on my 9650 and I get Google Maps has been denied the "Cross Application Communication" permission. How can I fix that?
    Thanks
    on your BB go to:
    options/applications/3rd party/google maps/edit permissions
    select allow for all 3 options- connections, interactions and user data

should take care of it for you
    06-09-10 12:54 PM
    Are you installing google maps via bb browser or desk man? Browser always gives me "gateway timeout" error. DM can' seem to find it. What's the best way to download and install?

06-09-10 02:20 PM
    ROSSMATHIS---

Go to: options/advanced options/gps
    Set 'GPS Services' to 'location on' (you probably have it set to 'E911 Only')

Then Google Maps will work fine.
    06-09-10 02:33 PM
    DOH I just reread and saw you explicitly said 'location on' was already turned on. Just ignore me.
    06-09-10 02:35 PM
    I got garmin mobile to work on the Bold so I would say GPS works pretty well.
    06-09-10 06:26 PM
    I got garmin mobile to work on the Bold so I would say GPS works pretty well.
    I can't get Garmin to work. It keeps saying it doesn't see a bluetooth GPS. Google maps works within a few meters, so I know GPS is working.

Any suggestions?
    06-09-10 06:57 PM
    Don't know what version you're running but version 5.4.5 of garmin is working for me.
    06-09-10 07:21 PM
    on your BB go to:
    options/applications/3rd party/google maps/edit permissions
    select allow for all 3 options- connections, interactions and user data

should take care of it for you
    Thanks, it now works great!
    06-09-10 11:31 PM
    Okay, stupid newbie question: Does Google Maps need to be downloaded? I don't have that as an option when I follow the previous directions someone else submitted.
    06-10-10 09:54 AM
    Okay, stupid newbie question: Does Google Maps need to be downloaded? I don't have that as an option when I follow the previous directions someone else submitted.
    Yes it has to be D/L'd. I finally found a link to OTA it from softpedia. Just google it up and you'll find it.
    A side note: It seems to be a bit slower than BB maps as far as loading. Just my experience so far. I like the sat. view tho.
    06-10-10 10:03 AM
    Would it be safe to say a majority of the users prefer Google Maps over the BB Maps?
    06-10-10 10:08 AM
    Would it be safe to say a majority of the users prefer Google Maps over the BB Maps?
    I'm sure some do, but is a personal preference thing for sure. I'm going to be using both most certainly.

06-10-10 10:10 AM
    So the 9650 on Verizon has real GPS!? I have the 8330 Curve which still locks some apps out of the GPS (like Google Maps), it still uses the cell tower location to determine my location which is of course way off. BB Maps gets full access to the real GPS device.

Boy, if this is the case with the 9650, I'm definitely ready to upgrade from my Curve.
    06-10-10 11:54 AM
    So the 9650 on Verizon has real GPS!? I have the 8330 Curve which still locks some apps out of the GPS (like Google Maps), it still uses the cell tower location to determine my location which is of course way off. BB Maps gets full access to the real GPS device.

Boy, if this is the case with the 9650, I'm definitely ready to upgrade from my Curve.
    You will quickly realize you just traded in your 72 Pinto for a 2011 Mustang GT.
    06-10-10 12:36 PM
    Here is the link for Google maps.

Google Maps
    06-10-10 01:11 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD