Hi Everyone!

Really enjoying the 8900 on .101 - got it today

But I carnt seem to get GPS working. When I do Refresh it searches for a while then says No Satellites.

Ive pulled the battery a couple of times and resent Service Books, but no change.

Im on 02 in the UK. Any tips/advice welcome.
    01-12-09 03:22 PM
    You do have the GPS setting to Location On and not 911 only right?
    01-12-09 03:39 PM
    You need to be outside so that the phone can see the satellites. You know that, right? The more sky the better and it takes a few minutes.
    01-12-09 03:44 PM
    Dvdfan, the only place im looking is Options/Advanced/GPS and there isnt any 911 setting (am i looking in the right place? And its 999 here in the UK but thats by the by).

Pete, i'm in the top bedroom so i didn't think that being outside would matter, but mb it does
    01-12-09 04:33 PM
    Dvdfan, the only place im looking is Options/Advanced/GPS and there isnt any 911 setting (am i looking in the right place? And its 999 here in the UK but thats by the by).

Pete, i'm in the top bedroom so i didn't think that being outside would matter, but mb it does
    Satellite signals from GPS sata are quite weak and the frequency they operate on has quite poor building penetration. Unlike phone radio signals that go more or less right through.

You really have to be in the open looking at a large piece of sky. You can get a fix on one satellite but 3 is better.

The key is the black edge of the circle (actually it's a sphere). This intersects with your receiver and after a while works out where you are from the distance to each satellite and the time. This is very simply put but there are loads of explanations on-line.

Here's a pic of the whole constellation whizzing round the earth.
    Last edited by Pete6; 01-12-09 at 07:02 PM.
    01-12-09 06:59 PM
    Pete, are you a teacher? If not why not! Really excelent explanation, clear and well presented. I was left wondering how all those satallites whizzing about like that dont crash...do they have like collision detection or something

Going off topic, and ive seen it talked about a little, but would you know of any development of a quality Today theme emerging for our excellent new Berry? I'm really missing my appointments, as i am sure many are.

Thanks for the help and all your efforts, really appreciated.

God Bless you Pete,

Tony.
    01-12-09 07:14 PM
    Pete, are you a teacher? If not why not! Really excelent explanation, clear and well presented. I was left wondering how all those satallites whizzing about like that dont crash...do they have like collision detection or something

Going off topic, and ive seen it talked about a little, but would you know of any development of a quality Today theme emerging for our excellent new Berry? I'm really missing my appointments, as i am sure many are.

Thanks for the help and all your efforts, really appreciated.

God Bless you Pete,

Tony.
    Does it now work? Have you answered the question "Where am I?" with your new GPS in a phone?
    01-13-09 05:03 AM
    Where is that Pete, I carnt find that option.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    01-13-09 05:42 AM
    Where is that Pete, I carnt find that option.

Hehe. What I meant was does the GPS now display Latitude and Longditure information i.e. "Where am I?" Geddit?
    01-13-09 07:40 AM
    It does now, thanks Pete. Grateful for your help.

01-13-09 10:45 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD