Anyone know if there is a GPS program for the Storm? I have google maps but the GPS is anything but accurate.
    01-16-09 11:21 PM
    Try looking around here...

http://forums.crackberry.com/f134/bl...thread-107305/

All sorts of folks pimping GPS programs...
    01-16-09 11:23 PM
    I always found VZ nav to be WAY more accurate than google maps (even though google maps has Sat View)...The Garmin app is great and I think comes with a free trial but if anything whats a couple of bucks a year
    01-16-09 11:24 PM
    just use maps that it comes with i think its in the apps folder mine is, and save ten bucks a month over the vz navigator. on maps to use it like a gps with directions first,

to: use your location

once it calculates your route press the gps button and your good to go
    01-16-09 11:32 PM
    What's wrong with Blackberry Maps?
    01-16-09 11:37 PM
    Anyone know if there is a GPS program for the Storm? I have google maps but the GPS is anything but accurate.
    I use VZ Navigator it is excellent and updated and improved by VZW. It now has traffic alerts.
    01-16-09 11:39 PM
    The garnin gps program owns then all....

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    01-16-09 11:45 PM

I'll second that.
    01-16-09 11:49 PM

^^^^^ the garmin app rocks! The gps is spot-on and the user-interface is super easy. $99 one time charge with no monthly fee and free map updates for life. Totally worth it

01-16-09 11:54 PM
    ^^^^^ the garmin app rocks! The gps is spot-on and the user-interface is super easy. $99 one time charge with no monthly fee and free map updates for life. Totally worth it

Is the discount avail still? $80 is what I last heard

01-17-09 12:10 AM
    Is the discount avail still? $80 is what I last heard

Yup. Still available.
    01-17-09 07:47 AM
    I was traveling for a couple of days in a city I had not been to before, had rental car and printed maps for destinations, but wanted desperately to use the BB for nav. It sucks.

To think you could pull Google Maps or BB Maps up and use them would be suicide. Even my passengers could not make heads or tails out of the tiny directional information. And yes, for a few bucks I could have added GPS to the rental car, but I opted to go it alone this time, with maps, a total of 4 or 5 destinations, and my storm. What a waste.

Does anyone really use these programs for maneuvering in traffic?

Guess the Garmin $99 product is the way to go for pure Nav features, whereas these others are basic maps with little valuable info. Or maybe just go with VZ Nav for the time I need it, then cancel when not using, etc.

OK, venting over.
    02-17-09 08:48 PM
    I use Nav4All. It's free so it's not the best, but hey, I don't use GPS THAT much to warrant me paying for it. It's good in a pinch. Only problem is in .75 the sound only comes through the headset (OS bug)
    02-17-09 08:50 PM
    Even my passengers could not make heads or tails out of the tiny directional information. And yes, for a few bucks I could have added GPS to the rental car, but I opted to go it alone this time, with maps, a total of 4 or 5 destinations, and my storm. What a waste.

Does anyone really use these programs for maneuvering in traffic?

Thats why I like VZNav. It give voice directions with street names, traffic info, and so much more.

Does anyone know if Garmin give traffic info?
    02-17-09 09:51 PM
    I have downloaded Google Maps and telenav. Dont work, know they should BB maps works, have A gps shut off. If I am going to blow the bucks for gps I will just buy a gps map system, have it forever and not pay anymore. I am sick of Verizon selling phones with all these great features then shuting them off so no competing programs can work. Why have an 8 gig phone if you cant use it. Get where I am going. Remember, Microsoft and anti-competitive practices, Ma bell etc etc. Same thing with wi-fi, anti competitive practices, not allowing me too use 3rd party wi-fi, nooo have to buy vz data package. I am an area were there is no choice really but verizon. I am a criminal defense attorney, class action not my gig but seems like we should all be talking to the Federal Trade Commision. VZ 6800 (HTC), i think was the last phone that didnt have either wifi or gps shut off by verizon. ANTI COMPETITIVE PRACTICES = VERIZON=me sick of it. To bad too the Storm has so much potential. I refuse to ever use vz navigator - ever.
    02-17-09 10:23 PM
    I am sick of Verizon selling phones with all these great features then shuting them off so no competing programs can work. .
    Wow, you are a noob.

For claiming to be an attorney, maybe you should do some research before you make claims. The GPS on the Verizon Storm works fine. It’s a problem in Google’s code that trys to access the aGPS and gives up before it accesses the autonomous GPS. I have 4 non VZW programs on my Storm that the GPS works fine.

The best thing with VZ Nav is the up to date maps. If you go buy a GPS, you have to PAY to get the maps updated. This is all included with VZNav, along with traffic info, weather, local search, etc.

God I hate dumb lawyers. /Rant OFF
    Last edited by rip14; 02-17-09 at 10:54 PM.
    02-17-09 10:28 PM
    I don't know about you guys, but VZ Nav SUCKS in my area (central KY) - they haven't updated the maps for this area in at least 2 years, and some roads have changed obviously, so it's constantly getting screwed up.

Oh and the fact that I once typed in an address, it didn't know the addy, but it automatically (without telling me) chose a different address that it thought was close and started routing me there. I just followed since it didn't prompt me or anything, 30 minutes later I realize I'm OVER AN HOUR AWAY FROM MY REAL LOCATION AAAAHHHHHH SCREW YOU VZ NAV.

it didn't prompt or anything - just auto chose some other location nowhere near the real one.

that was when I called VZW and said: cancel pls - and deleted the garbage.
    02-17-09 10:52 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD