I know this has been discussed before but it seems things have changed...
    Is there a good GPS Nav app with turn by turn directions for the S2?
    - I would purchase Garmin if I tried and liked it but seems the free trial isn't for the S2
    - Tried Amaze and V5 free doesn't do anything and I would like to try before I buy. Seems like the former V4.x was free but is no longer available.
    - Nav4all seems useless on my S2. It functions but has a ton of errors.

Any suggestions are welcome!

Thanks
    01-04-10 10:44 AM
    I bought Garmin Mobile for Blackberry, and so far have been satisfied with its performance.

You can purchase here for $79 which is $20 off the retail price of $99.
    01-04-10 11:18 AM
    I have Garmin also and love it, great app for the $$ for sure.
    01-04-10 11:37 AM
    There was a link posted somewhere to get the Garmin trial on the Storm2. I know, because I used it almost two weeks ago. Not sure where I found it.

I've subscribed to VZNav for a few years now (starting on my "dumb phones"), and continued to use it when it became available on my BB's. It works well on my Storm1 and Storm2. the integration with the BB's contacts, and VZNav web site works great. Directions, traffic alerts, etc all work well. Over all I'm pleased.

I just started playing with Garmin for BB's. It works, but when entering addresses, I found its more particular...

Example: For my Son's day care I have a contact in my BB's address book with an address filled in for 302 Old Capitol TRL, City, State, Zip.

On VZNav, if I either navigate using that contact or I manually enter that address it finds it and routes me right to it.

Using my Moto Droid with Google Maps/Navigation, and navigating from the contact also finds the location properly and correctly navigates me.

On Garmin, when I try to navigate using that contact, or If I manually enter State and 304 Old Capitol Trl (no fields for city, or Zip). It finds 1900 old capital trl, city and zip which isn't even close to the proper directions. It does not locate 304, and changes the spelling of Capitol to Capital. Turns out the street signs at the nearest cross street are labeled as Capitol Trl, so I tried entering it in Garmin without the "old" and an "O" instead of "A" in the street name... BINGO, it finds it, spot on and gives me proper directions.

Voice on Garmin is clear and loud, however it doesn't play through my BT headset like VZNav does. (Google Maps on the Droid doesn't play via BT headset either). Is that just a Demo limit?

With the Garmin trial, I've just navigation via address, but none of the other features so I can't comment on how they work. The times I've been on the highway with it, there haven't been any traffic problems, so I can't compare it to VZNav on "real time" traffic alerts.

I had a 60 day trial of Telenav from my T-Mobile rep about a year ago. It worked pretty good too.

When using navigation on my phones or BB's, I generally leave the car charger plugged in so I can't comment on battery life.
    Last edited by Mark_Venture; 01-04-10 at 11:42 AM.
    01-04-10 11:39 AM
    Does the Garmin GPS or VZW software pause the music for the turn by turn directions, then continues to play the music?
    01-04-10 12:38 PM
    Thanks all. VZ Nav isn't an options since it's a company phone.
    Does anyone have the link to download a trial of Garmin for the S2? It's not on their web site.
    01-04-10 01:03 PM
    Garmin I have heard is the best out there. I used a free trial of telnav and it was brilliant. It worked very well in my area.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    01-04-10 01:14 PM
    Does anyone have the link to download a trial of Garmin for the S2? It's not on their web site.
    This may not be quite what you want, as it is for Europe, but I was given this link: Garmin Mobile by Garmin.

Possibly substituting the 'eu' for something else might help?

Good Luck!
    01-04-10 01:20 PM
    Does the Garmin GPS or VZW software pause the music for the turn by turn directions, then continues to play the music?
    On my s2, I started playing music... launched VZNav, and started navigating...

The music stopped as I hear "Calculating route.." no music, then VZNav announced "prepare to turn right on..." and the music didn't start... I exited VZNav, and the music didn't start. I had to go back into the music player and "un pause" it.

Did the same test with Garmin.... it does the same thing. i.e. music pauses when Garmin first speaks, and says paused.
    01-04-10 01:48 PM
    This may not be quite what you want, as it is for Europe, but I was given this link: Garmin Mobile by Garmin.

Possibly substituting the 'eu' for something else might help?

Good Luck!
    Thanks anyway but didn't work. I emailed Garmin asking if they can supply a trail for the S2
    01-04-10 02:42 PM
    While the Garmin definitely works it does not seem to have all the bells and whistles of VZ Nav or TeleNav. When I look at traffic it's always for the area...it's not clear where I might encounter it on my route. If you want to see written directions you have to forward through each turn (there is no written directions summary).

And I've noticed 2 different female voices telling me where to go...and in one case they contradicted each other. Seriously.
    01-04-10 02:47 PM
    Take a look at this thread:
    http://forums.crackberry.com/f134/go...pocket-229299/

If you search in the Storm 1 3rd Party Apps section for (best gps), you'll find tons of info. I haven't found any apps yet that work on the Storm 1, that don't also work on the S2 (that doesn't mean they don't exist, but there few and far between).

I'm a Garmin user and absolutely love the app. Did you try to just download whatever trial you found, even though it says it's for the S1? My guess is that it would run perfectly on your S2 as I'm using the Garmin that I bought a year ago for my S1.
    01-04-10 03:16 PM
    ..If you want to see written directions you have to forward through each turn (there is no written directions summary).
    Really? On the demo I had installed, when I was in route, hit menu button, and on the pop-up is Route Overview, Directions, Stop Navigating, and Main Menu.

Selecting Route Overview gave me a map with a line drawn for the route.

Selecting Directions gives me written turn by turn directions.
    01-04-10 03:22 PM
    I used telenav on my curve when I was with sprint. Not once did it ever fail me. Unfortunately Verizon likes to nickle and dime you and doesn't believe in free GPS navigation like sprint does...

01-04-10 03:30 PM
    Thanks Mark
    01-04-10 05:32 PM
    It pauses the music for turn directions but you need to restart the player yourself. At least that's what happend the time I used Garmin Mobile on my S1 while playing music.
    01-04-10 07:36 PM
    Take a look at this thread:

If you search in the Storm 1 3rd Party Apps section for (best gps), you'll find tons of info. I haven't found any apps yet that work on the Storm 1, that don't also work on the S2 (that doesn't mean they don't exist, but there few and far between).

I'm a Garmin user and absolutely love the app. Did you try to just download whatever trial you found, even though it says it's for the S1? My guess is that it would run perfectly on your S2 as I'm using the Garmin that I bought a year ago for my S1.
    Downloaded and tried Liceinpocket

01-04-10 08:03 PM
    [QUOTE=grey;4431188]Take a look at this thread:
    QUOTE]

Have been using it on my Storm2 for about one and half months. It has nice UI, stronger local search than Poynt, nice media features and the voice navigation always takes me to feet within my destinations.

With so much stuff packed, the app is only about 750 KB that's only 1/3 of VZ Nav and 1/4 of Telenav. That's the best free app you can get.

For paid nav app, I have not seen one doing well with moving map and they all take a lot of battery power. It's fair to say stand along GPS units are doing much better.

My experience is VZ Nav has done a better job than Garmin app in integration.
    01-04-10 08:03 PM
    Downloaded and tried Liceinpocket

Sorry for the last post. My storm went nuts while typing....
    Tried Lifeinpocket. It does work and not bad for free but is quite basic. Seems fine if you stay on route but doesn't automatically recalculate and gets real confused of not followed. Will see if I can five Garmin a try.

01-04-10 08:09 PM
    Wish I could help on this one, but I too am looking for a good replacement for the program I used on my Treo. For me, Windows Live Search did it all for free. It would find the address from my contacts, Points of interests, or typed addresses. It would design the route, track using GPS, and request whether to reroute within seconds of a wrong turn. I've been searching for a free replacement for it for Odin, but I have been unsuccessful. Now, there was NO voice on WLS and no 3D, but for free, it was awesome. Bing on Verizon has really been dumbed down, so that sucks. Google doesn't work nearly as well, and the maps on the BB maps are terrible. My seaech continues...

01-04-10 09:07 PM
    this will work for the garmin 7 day trial on the 9550

Garmin GPS app for Storm2
    01-04-10 09:51 PM
    telenav is awesome... one time payment of a lifetime subscription is nice too. the only thing i don't like is that you can't run it in the background. having to close out entirely to get to my slacker station gets old long trips.
    01-04-10 09:56 PM
    Really? On the demo I had installed, when I was in route, hit menu button, and on the pop-up is Route Overview, Directions, Stop Navigating, and Main Menu.

Selecting Route Overview gave me a map with a line drawn for the route.

Selecting Directions gives me written turn by turn directions.
    Yes...my options when I hit the menu button are:
    Route Overview (map with a line drawn)
    View Turns (takes me to the first turn direction written out, then I have to scroll for each and every turn...there is no summary)
    Stop Navigating (stops navigation and takes me back to the main menu) and
    Main Menu (takes me back to the main menu just like Stop Navigating does).

The version I have installed is 5.4.2 and I have the Storm 2.
    01-05-10 07:19 AM
    how do you open that link? i'm trying to get the free trial
    01-05-10 07:51 AM
    For those looking for live search functions, the Bing app has most of what Live Search had for winmo. It just doesn't do navigation as well. I found using Poynt combined with BBmaps worked well.

01-05-10 08:29 AM
33 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD