I am missing something here. If I want to go from point a to point b, I can type in the end address and it will navigate, however:

1. The screen does not stay on when driving

2. There is no sound cue when to turn.

3. It just seems so dysfunctional.

This is the BB navigator that is preinstalled. Is there a prob with this software. Is there a better program that can do the above? help...
    05-20-09 09:55 AM
    only certain apps do voice directions (like Nav4All)
    05-20-09 09:57 AM
    BB Navigator?

Do you mean the VZWNavigator which you pay $9.99 monthly?
    05-20-09 10:02 AM
    BB Navigator?

Do you mean the VZWNavigator which you pay $9.99 monthly?
    since he said NO sound, we must ***-u-me he means BB Maps... not VZWNavigator, which does do sound.
    05-20-09 10:07 AM
    I am missing something here. If I want to go from point a to point b, I can type in the end address and it will navigate, however:

1. The screen does not stay on when driving

2. There is no sound cue when to turn.

3. It just seems so dysfunctional.

This is the BB navigator that is preinstalled. Is there a prob with this software. Is there a better program that can do the above? help...
    BB Maps does not provide turn-by-turn instructions like, for instance, a Magellan or TomTom GPS unit. It is similar to Mapquest and other sites on your desktop. It can find things and give you text directions....it just does not guide you with voice commands. Just the way the program is. For voice directions, you can use VZ Navigator or Garmin (paid apps). Here's a link to Garmin ($79 one-time fee): Garmin | Garmin Mobile for BlackBerry - Turn your BlackBerry into a savvy navigator with Garmin Mobile.

Not sure, but I believe you can keep the backlight in in Options. Within BB Maps, hit the BB button. Select Options. Go to Backlight Timeout When and select <25% Battery. I believe the backlight will stay on as long as your battery is above 25%. I tested this setting and the backlight stayed on (my batt is at 80%).

Last edited by crackberryfan; 05-20-09 at 10:10 AM.
    05-20-09 10:07 AM
    Yeahm I have BB maps. I understand that part with the sound and the backlight, does it show on the map where I am and where I need to turn? I don't have my BB handy at the moment. Thanks!
    05-20-09 10:19 AM
    Yeah nav 4 all is free and gives you voice directions but the gui sucks.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    05-20-09 10:47 AM
    @ crackberryfan: as i mentioned, there are free apps that do voice directions.
    05-20-09 10:53 AM
    amAze is one of them...

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    05-20-09 11:57 AM
    @ crackberryfan: as i mentioned, there are free apps that do voice directions.
    Respectfully, nowhere near the quality of the paid apps, in my opinion. Sorta like saying Pauly Shore and Tom Hanks are both actors. True but not in the same league.
    05-20-09 12:21 PM
    Ha ha. Good one.
    05-20-09 02:47 PM
    Respectfully, nowhere near the quality of the paid apps, in my opinion. Sorta like saying Pauly Shore and Tom Hanks are both actors. True but not in the same league.
    no argument here, but quality was not (yet) the point :}
    05-20-09 02:49 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD