My GPS isn't working out here. Is this normal? Is there something I have to do to my phone in order for my GPS to start working or am I just out of luck? Thanks in advance for all the help. Sorry if this is a double post but my battery is dying and I couldn't really search around since I'm lost some where in Central London.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    04-12-09 07:24 AM
    The G in GPS is for Global. I was in London a few days ago and my GPS worked fine.

Get in the open air with a clear view of the sky (European houses are brick built and the GPS signal does not penetrate indoors as in the US) and go to Options, Advanced Options, GPS, press Menu and select Refresh GPS.

This process will take a few minutes but once you have updated Lat and Long co-ordinates displayed, you are good to go.
    04-12-09 07:30 AM
    The G in GPS is for Global. I was in London a few days ago and my GPS worked fine.

Get in the open air with a clear view of the sky (European houses are brick built and the GPS signal does not penetrate indoors as in the US) and go to Options, Advanced Options, GPS, press Menu and select Refresh GPS.

This process will take a few minutes but once you have updated Lat and Long co-ordinates displayed, you are good to go.
    Did as you said and this is what it tells me "GPS Data Source --- NONE" and "GPS Services --- Location On" nothing about refresh or anything like that. I've done a battery pull and everything; still no GPS.

04-12-09 07:42 AM
    If it helps my service says "GPRS" in the US it would normally have "1XEV" but I understand that changes overseas. I've even downloaded Google Maps and still no luck with getting my GPS to work.

04-12-09 07:49 AM
    With your phone, you will be on GSM in the UK. Thais why you see GPRS. 1XEV is a CDMA prtocol that you would use in the US. Thi sis normal.

When in Options, Advanced Options, GPS are you able to select a GPS Data Source? On my 8900 I have choices there and these are aligned with my Bluetooth pairings. My internal GPS displays Device GPS when selected.

I am not sure what is happening here. I do not have the same phone as you and am having trouble mimicing menus as you see them.
    04-12-09 08:10 AM
    I probably still don't know what an "agps" is but at least with Verizon, you need to use cell towers with the 8830 to get Agps data. So it might be that when in Europe, the gsm signals are not appropriate for the "agps" in the 8830, even with Sprint????

If that is true, then the concept of WORLD EDITION is more than misleading, at least, when it comes with gps for the 8830!
    04-12-09 09:14 AM
    With your phone, you will be on GSM in the UK. Thais why you see GPRS. 1XEV is a CDMA prtocol that you would use in the US. Thi sis normal.

When in Options, Advanced Options, GPS are you able to select a GPS Data Source? On my 8900 I have choices there and these are aligned with my Bluetooth pairings. My internal GPS displays Device GPS when selected.

I am not sure what is happening here. I do not have the same phone as you and am having trouble mimicing menus as you see them.
    Sorry it took so long, but the battery died. But I checked and I can't select anything else. None is the only option that seems to be available here in the UK. It ask's if I want to change options and I click on it, but NONE is the only option that I have. I'm at the hotel now and am wondering if this isn't working because of the fact that maybe I don't have BB Maps installed. But if Google Maps work with my phone in the US I imagined it would have worked out here. Any other options I should try out?
    04-12-09 01:19 PM
    The 8830's onboard GPS won't work in GSM mode, only CDMA.
    04-12-09 09:42 PM
    Oh wow. That sucks big time. Not really GPS then. :-( Thanks for the update.

04-12-09 10:06 PM
    It's true and it does suck. Supposedly due to Qualcomm CDMA/GPS chipset licensing regulations.
    06-09-09 05:25 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD