***This is not my issue.. its an issue of my mother's friends.

Please, any help is greatly appreciated.

ATT Curve, 8320 i believe.

The user grabbed her phone this morning to find a screen saying GPS location remotely turned on. And she has a GPS signal icon in the upper right of the screen near the signal indicator.

We looked in the advanced options to turn GPS back to e911, but it wont give her that option for location on or e911 only.

Was there some sort of update maybe that pushed through last night or anything? She had said she did not install any apps lately.
    09-09-09 09:00 AM
    Call the carrier, see if the system has her locked in or something maybe.

And don't worry the cruise missile is still about 45 minutes out, lots of time to get the error corrected.
    09-09-09 10:10 AM
    Is she a BES user? If so, her IT dept can remotely enable her GPS. I'm not aware of any other way that could legitimately happen. Have you tried a battery pull to see if rebooting turns off the function?

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    09-09-09 10:11 AM
    after doing a battery pull the phone has gone back to normal operation. But Im wondering for how long.

Just got some more info.. she is on a BES, but the phone is not company owned, so she doesnt want them locating her!

Im thinking it was turned on by a BES admin. Thanks for the tip!
    09-09-09 10:16 AM
    Reality check: if she is on BES, the phone is company-controlled, whether she paid for it or not. If she has privacy concerns, the GPS won't be her only issue. For example:

Can a BES administrator read my PIN and/or SMS messages and see my phone call logs?
    Yes, if the BES is version 4.1 or newer and the device is o/s code 4.1 or later.
    • Starting with BES 4.1, the BES admin can log all PIN and SMS messages to the BES server, including the content of those messages.
    • BlackBerry Messenger messages and conversations can also be audited by the BES administrator.
    • In addition, the administrator can view all phone calls made/received to the device including date/time, number dialed, and the name of the person you are calling or who called you if that name is listed in your contact list.

Source: BES Users FAQ - BlackBerryFAQ
    09-09-09 10:27 AM
    Reality check:
    Easy buddy, didnt ask for a lecture, just help

Thank you tho, I did not know that
    09-09-09 10:33 AM
    That didn't sound like a lecture to me. The fact is you didn't realize that by being on BES that GPS tracking could be remotely enabled. This is a basic function of BES and JeffH was merely making it clear only "some" of the other things to consider when you are in a BES environment. It matters not who owns the phone once you agree to become part of that BES network.
    09-09-09 10:39 AM
    That didn't sound like a lecture to me. The fact is you didn't realize that by being on BES that GPS tracking could be remotely enabled. This is a basic function of BES and JeffH was merely making it clear only "some" of the other things to consider when you are in a BES environment. It matters not who owns the phone once you agree to become part of that BES network.
    lol trucky, thanks for clearing that up.
    09-09-09 10:42 AM
    They're watching her every move, gotta love that. I would never put my personal BB in a company server, if they want me to use one then they had better supply it.
    09-09-09 11:03 AM
    They're watching her every move, gotta love that. I would never put my personal BB in a company server, if they want me to use one then they had better supply it.
    That is pretty scary the control and access that they have to your device!

I am setting up a BES for our company in the next 3 months... good thing Im gonna be the admin to it! I might tell my mother and her friend to consider disconnecting their devices from it, and just accessing email via pop or something.

Thanks much Radius and Jeff for your help!
    09-09-09 11:05 AM
    You're welcome.

I get my email from my company through the RIM push servers. If the company allows OWA access you can just set it up that way like any other account. I prefer this as I really don't want stuff sync'ed to my phone, just email is all I care about. Might be an option for the person in question.
    09-09-09 11:13 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD