Hey everyone,

Weird issue, my GPS works fine in nav4all and in blackberry maps. In Google maps though it always says "Your approximate location within 700 metres. Waiting for GPS signal" but it never finds it. Then after awhile it just says "The GPS location is not available." Has anyone seen this? There's no options in google maps so not sure what could be set wrong...
    01-30-09 12:38 PM
    Hey everyone,

Weird issue, my GPS works fine in nav4all and in blackberry maps. In Google maps though it always says "Your approximate location within 700 metres. Waiting for GPS signal" but it never finds it. Then after awhile it just says "The GPS location is not available." Has anyone seen this? There's no options in google maps so not sure what could be set wrong...
    This has been discussed thoroughly. Please search.

It's either Google or Verizon that is blocking GPS in Google Maps on Storms.
    01-30-09 12:39 PM
    From what I've read on Google's forums, they're working to fix this. It's a bug with the current app version.
    01-30-09 12:49 PM
    I was under the impression cell tower triangulation was the only form of location-based service for Google Maps. Perhaps GPS location is forthcoming
    01-30-09 12:56 PM
    From what I've read on Google's forums, they're working to fix this. It's a bug with the current app version.
    I believe the project has been put on hold. The thread you're referring to was updated several weeks ago from a Google developer stating that this was the case.
    01-30-09 12:59 PM
    01-30-09 01:05 PM
    It's really annoying when everyone "assumes" we're with Verizon. Verizon is the only one that blocks all your stuff, GPS works perfectly fine with Telus and the reason I asked is because I was told by another friend with Telus that GPS works in google maps. Every other GPS program works fine on it google maps is the only one that says there's an issue.
    01-30-09 01:12 PM
    Every other GPS program works fine on it google maps is the only one that says there's an issue.
    Same thing on verizon.
    01-30-09 01:14 PM
    It's really annoying when everyone "assumes" we're with Verizon. Verizon is the only one that blocks all your stuff, GPS works perfectly fine with Telus and the reason I asked is because I was told by another friend with Telus that GPS works in google maps. Every other GPS program works fine on it google maps is the only one that says there's an issue.
    I have a 9530 on Telus and I can't get it to work... because of a limitation in the google maps code.. it's using a-gps (assisted gps) or cell tower triangulation, as it's default method of finding you, even though the storm has a built-in gps module, and there's no option to by-pass that to use the on-board gps module.. if there were, i wouldn't get a 2.5KM radius in google maps for my "location".. bleh
    01-30-09 06:35 PM
    wow, no shlt, you dont say........
    01-31-09 08:58 PM
    It's really annoying when everyone "assumes" that VZW blocks everything. My GPS on VZW works with everything except Google maps. Its not VZW, its Google. Again, search can be your friend.
    01-31-09 09:07 PM
    wow, no shlt, you dont say........
    this person is with TELUS not Verizon, so step back and relax a bit.
    01-31-09 09:07 PM
    No GPS with Google maps at this time. Honestly, I wouldn't hold my breath if I were you. They don't appear to be in any hurry to correct this situation.
    01-31-09 09:48 PM
    I was under the impression cell tower triangulation was the only form of location-based service for Google Maps. Perhaps GPS location is forthcoming
    I bet GPS works on Jason Bourne's phone.
    01-31-09 10:09 PM
    I'm talking about in general, it's not assuming I know from reading tons of other posts with other phones like the curve, people were saying you can't use gps on verizon that you need verizon navigator or something. Telus doesn't block anything like that, you can pay for telus navigator if you wanted it. That's why I was asking and saying Telus and not Verizon so I didn't get a reponse saying it doesn't work if it was just verizon.
    02-02-09 02:01 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD