Can GPS be used where wireless signal isn't present? My friend has an Android and he has a compass/gps app on his phone that we were using in absence of wireless signal. Is there an free app for blackberry available?

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    Last edited by sampberry; 09-05-10 at 02:15 PM.
    09-05-10 02:12 PM
    Searched in app world only paid apps available. Why is it that Android has so many good/useful free apps and blackberry doesn't?

09-05-10 02:17 PM
    Searched in app world only paid apps available. Why is it that Android has so many good/useful free apps and blackberry doesn't?

Lack of developers willing to pay the fee to post free apps to App World.
    09-05-10 02:33 PM
    Blackstar Navigation is a free app that will provide a compass indication based on your GPS without any cell signal.
    09-05-10 04:30 PM
    So will gpslogger, also free. (and as an aside, wow, did the gps lock in quickly for gpslogger just now!)

Just remember many gps' including standalone, do not show compass direction until you are moving. GPS need a special chip to show a compass that knows which way north (etc) is without movement.
    09-05-10 05:31 PM
    So will gpslogger, also free. (and as an aside, wow, did the gps lock in quickly for gpslogger just now!)

Just remember many gps' including standalone, do not show compass direction until you are moving. GPS need a special chip to show a compass that knows which way north (etc) is without movement.
    Thanks crackberry community . Hmm we weren't moving and I saw compass direction on the Android phone. Does the Android phone have this chip?

09-05-10 09:50 PM
    I don't know what the Android contains. Those without a compass know direction from the relative movement. As you move, the gps knows which way you are going and then can figure out north/etc. and then display the compass and direction.
    09-06-10 12:09 AM
    I don't have an Android either, but by googling Android Compass I found several sources that suggest the Android has a magnetometer. Here's one: http://boingboing.net/2009/04/30/and...p-uses-g1.html
    and another, which suggests it may incorporate accelerometers in addition to a magnetometer: Android's first killer app: Compass Mode - Apple 2.0 - Fortune Tech

I'm sure an Android owner could give a definitive answer.
    09-06-10 08:02 AM
    as developer of GPSLogger - a friend of mine own a Android - and it's amazing what the internal compass can do - for sure his device have a different hardware inside [which is not present in any BlackBerry (yet)]... So when you like to have a "real working" compass I suggest to buy a real one :-) [amazing ZERO power consuming]... For BlackBerry GPS Apps: it's for sure that you need to move in order to get a valid/reliable direction information.
    09-06-10 03:23 PM
    As an addition to emac, real compass' are very inexpensive. I have one I paid 6 bucks for and it has never let me down in the back country, and has never needed to be recharged.

09-06-10 04:05 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD