After having my BB for 3 months, I realized I had a GPS Icon. Has this icon been present on all Tours before the 5.0 upgrade? Or was this a new thing for the 5.0 upgrade? Does this kill the battery life by having it on? If it does, how do I turn it off?
    04-09-10 06:42 PM
    The Icon has been present on my Tour since I purchased in September with 4.7. There are actually 2 Icons associated with the GPS, Crosshair bullseye indicates Emergency (911) access only. If there are 3 ))) beside it that means your GPS tracking is active and yes you will drain the battery rapidly.

I use Quicklaunch to toggle my GPS on/off but you may access the long way Options/Advanced Options/GPS/GPS Services toggled Location On/Off.
    04-09-10 06:58 PM
    The GPS in your Tour doesn't transmit anything. If you are not using an app with it that downloads maps from the internet, the GPS by itself will not drain your battery significantly faster if you leave it in ))) mode. It is not possible to turn if off completely, without turning off the phone itself.
    04-09-10 07:52 PM
    The Icon has been present on my Tour since I purchased in September with 4.7. There are actually 2 Icons associated with the GPS, Crosshair bullseye indicates Emergency (911) access only. If there are 3 ))) beside it that means your GPS tracking is active and yes you will drain the battery rapidly.

I use Quicklaunch to toggle my GPS on/off but you may access the long way Options/Advanced Options/GPS/GPS Services toggled Location On/Off.
    Thank you.
    04-10-10 01:32 AM
    The GPS in your Tour doesn't transmit anything. If you are not using an app with it that downloads maps from the internet, the GPS by itself will not drain your battery significantly faster if you leave it in ))) mode. It is not possible to turn if off completely, without turning off the phone itself.
    I recently upgraded my Google Maps to version 4.0 I'm sure this downloads maps right?
    04-10-10 01:36 AM
    I recently upgraded my Google Maps to version 4.0 I'm sure this downloads maps right?
    Yes, but only when you are using it. If you turn off Location Sharing in the GPS functions, Google Maps will still download maps, using your cell tower to locate your position.
    04-10-10 07:06 AM
    Yes, but only when you are using it. If you turn off Location Sharing in the GPS functions, Google Maps will still download maps, using your cell tower to locate your position.
    Also, make sure are correctly closing your maps program and all other programs (BB button, select close. the back key will send them to background OPEN) not just shrinking it to the background with it still running. I think this causes alot of "drain" issues. You can end up with 10 programs running in the background eating memory and power.
    04-10-10 08:43 AM
    Thank you.
    04-12-10 12:40 AM
    Also, make sure are correctly closing your maps program and all other programs (BB button, select close. the back key will send them to background OPEN) not just shrinking it to the background with it still running. I think this causes alot of "drain" issues. You can end up with 10 programs running in the background eating memory and power.
    I close all my programs.
    04-12-10 12:41 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD