Hi,

Ive stated in many threads that I do not have the data package.
    My latest attempt at "activating" my gps feature has been very frustrating.
    I need the community's Help!

So...
    I have been looking deeply into MGMAPS for the blackberry
    Mobile GMaps - Download

So far Im following these instructions:

"You can download google maps to your sd card, and then run GMaps without internet connection
    use this site to mark area you want to storage:
    Map Creation Tool for MGMaps
    then download this program to your pc, to get maps:
    http://www.mgmaps.com/cache/gMapMaker-setup.exe
    and then install Mobile GMaps form here (there is a version dedicated for BB):
    Mobile GMaps - Download"

I was able to use the map creation tool to download my map. However.. the maps take up over 7 gigs of space and that's just to cover all of California and Las Vegas. Is it suppose to be that much space used for the map of 1 state??

I would like to know if anyone (without the data package) has been able to get MGMaps to work on their 8900 (or whatever BB). If so, how big was the folder that contained the maps?? Was it easy to setup? Are there any bugs or complaints I should know about? Are there any other programs that I should be looking into?

Any help is appreciated.
    Thanks.
    03-23-09 12:54 AM
    Yes, that is normal depending on the detail level you chose for the maps. I have only tested this over a few days but not much at all. As far as I am aware sonni_kuba has the most experience with this here at Crackberry. I first learned about it from him. You might want to drop him a PM.
    03-23-09 01:04 AM
    ok great I will. Ill try directing him here..

The level of detail I first chose was 16 but I cancelled it after 3 days of downloading. The maps were taking forever to download and it was way over the 8gb capacity of my SDmicro card.

I am download level 14 now.. its still downloading.
    03-23-09 01:06 AM
    I basically stopped because it was taking so long to download when I was last trying it out. I have a data plan so I was just trying it out to see how it all worked. I plan to get back around to it, I just hadn't gotten there yet.

Maybe you can provide me with some feedback on it!
    03-23-09 01:16 AM
    The maps are almost done redownloading and I just saw that my 8gb SD card is 3/4 full now. WTH! haha I only had like 30 mb's used before then.
    03-23-09 01:52 AM
    Hello, here is a link to the ongoing discussion in the GPS forums

http://forums.crackberry.com/f41/gps...t-data-147262/
    03-23-09 09:26 PM
    YAY!!! Sonni to the rescue again!

(Crowd Cheers)
    03-23-09 09:33 PM
    Glad I could be helpful
    03-23-09 09:51 PM
    hey sonni,
    How big do you think a map of California should be? It filled my 8gb flash and I only did up to 14 zoom.

Any pointers to get the maps to less than 2 gigs?
    03-24-09 12:37 AM
    I am wondering about the map size as well. I have a magellan gps with a 1gb sd card. it holds maps for all of the US.

I am satisfied with the detaila and the POI on the magellan.

Why is it that when i try and build maps for mgmaps or trekbuddy i can barley fit just my own state on my 4gb card?
    06-30-09 12:44 PM
    I have a 9700 and just downloaded wwwmapcachercom Map Creation Tool for MGMaps Mapcacher is the download link for the MAP data. I use this in conjunction with MG MAPS free gps application. I am traveling to Paris, and want to get around easy, and do not want to use the expensive international data connection. I tested it already, and it works perfect. Just follow the video step by step on you tube that somebody already posted wwwyoutubecom/watch?v=gav9sOMLBGo YouTube - MgMaps Installation on Blackberry 9700[/url] - IT WORKS GREAT. (its a little tetious to install the program, then create the data, but IT DOES WORK!!!!
    08-18-10 03:35 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD