lately it seems that any app on my storm2 that takes a gps its harder for my phone to detect the sat's anybody else noticing this running os .713
    08-29-10 08:09 AM
    I just google maps and bbmaps as well as poynt and weather bug to get a good feel. For the GPS in various apps. While gmaps took a bit longer everything else seemed to work fine.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    08-29-10 07:42 PM
    Your not alone the gps receiver on the S2 doesn't seem to be that great.

08-30-10 09:50 AM
    it was working fine for me now it fails alot of the time.
    I'm not sure if it is a software or hardware issue.
    08-30-10 06:48 PM
    My GPS chip failed. Got a warranty refurb based on that & the screen click issue.

08-30-10 08:21 PM
    mine hasn't failed yet I did find out that ubertwitter for some reason is causing the gps to hang some.
    I had to reload the os to get the gps to work again.
    08-31-10 11:09 PM
    Nope. Mine works just fine. It can even receive GPS signals when the phone is off. Of course the map can't download, but the GPS works without a cell tower.
    09-01-10 01:31 AM
    I have the same issue. Stopped working for no reason.

09-01-10 09:33 PM
    I thought it might be the OS so I downgraded from a 713 hybrid to a 517 hybrid and have the same issues.
    09-02-10 10:03 AM
    I'm thinking it's a twitter thing it seems that any app that runs twitter and my gps either slows down or doesn't work at all.
    I'm thinking that twitter is pulling gps info on the phone causing the gps to hang just a guess.
    09-03-10 04:04 PM
    I just had to get a replacement phone.... Gps took up to 5 minutes to lock on to the gps satellites on the refurb....took it back..after much deliberation had
    it replaced... new one does the same thing. My old storm 2 locked on immediately! It's frustrating....
    09-03-10 06:08 PM
    I have ubertwitter and its set to use cell tower info., not gps. VZW is sending a replacement but I'm guessing its an app issue. This problem also drains my battery about 30% per hour unless I turn gps off.

09-04-10 08:49 AM
    ok ive been doing some testing and the app that is causing the problem for me is actually vlingo I went thru my apps and denied location data to each one till I found the problem i tested and retested it reboot etc and with location data denied on vlingo gps works fast no problem.
    only problem with this is vlingo wont work without that on allow.
    you would think that a speech to text app wouldn't have to have that on.
    I have sent a support request to Vlingo and I'll update when I get a reply.
    worst thing is Vlingo is my most expensive and most used app I'm a truck driver and use it all day.
    09-04-10 08:39 PM
    I have been wracking my brain deleting apps and re-installing just to figure out the issue.... If this works ..you are my hero...
    09-04-10 08:47 PM
    I tried your fix tonight while I was out and about.... Wow... It works flawlessly now... Thank you so much truckingcowboy!!!!!
    09-05-10 12:41 AM
    Wow it never occurred to me that vlingo uses the gps. It fixed the issue for me as well. Thanks!

09-05-10 01:54 AM
    I did hear from support and they are not being very helpful.
    Does anyone have a older version of Vlingo I can try?
    well if they don't fix it I think everyone on crackberry that has vlingo should send a email to vlingo support to fix this.
    09-05-10 08:34 AM
    I did hear from support and they are not being very helpful.
    Does anyone have a older version of Vlingo I can try?
    well if they don't fix it I think everyone on crackberry that has vlingo should send a email to vlingo support to fix this.
    I sent an email to vlingo about this issue today. We'll see if they get back to me. In the meantime, it looks like if you set that location permission back to allow, re-boot, then go into the vlingo options and set location awareness to "off" vlingo should be able to function and your gps issue will be resolved as well. I have to test it more, but it looks like it may solve both problems.
    09-05-10 03:37 PM
    I sent an email to vlingo about this issue today. We'll see if they get back to me. In the meantime, it looks like if you set that location permission back to allow, re-boot, then go into the vlingo options and set location awareness to "off" vlingo should be able to function and your gps issue will be resolved as well. I have to test it more, but it looks like it may solve both problems.
    I tried the off on vlingo before i messed with permissions I'll try it again but didn't fix it for me the first time.

ok I tried the off with the permissions on no go gps still hangs so basically they need to fix it.
    Last edited by MrTruckincowboy; 09-05-10 at 08:19 PM.
    09-05-10 08:08 PM
    I tried the off on vlingo before i messed with permissions I'll try it again but didn't fix it for me the first time.

ok I tried the off with the permissions on no go gps still hangs so basically they need to fix it.
    My gps is having the same issue again. I think after a reboot it's basically back to either using vlingo with the gps issue or basically disabling vlingo and having the gps work perfectly. I also noticed a significant improvement in battery life since I disabled vlingo. I wonder if that location issue in vlingo keeps the gps busy all the time (making it take longer for bb maps and google maps to get a fix quickly) resulting in battery life issues as well. these two issues have made me stop using vlingo all together. Sorry about giving you false hope on that one. I sent an email to vlingo as well so I will report back if I hear something from them.
    09-06-10 11:11 AM
    would make sense that the battery would run down if vlingo is using gps alot I don't pay too much attention to battery life i have it plugged in all the time in the truck.
    09-06-10 01:57 PM
    I heard from vlingo support. They simply told me to set location awareness to off. I told them this did not solve it and they said they are looking into it as they know there are issues with specific devices on specific carriers. Hopefully they solve this issue with an update.

Hey MrTruckincowboy, I found the previous version of vlingo online (version 4.5.2) and I installed the .cod file and it seems to work fine and with no gps issue. This can be a temporary fix until vlingo updates the app. The previous version is working well for me so far. The app file can be downloaded here:

MEGAUPLOAD - The leading online storage and file delivery service

I would back up your version of vlingo (4.5.4) with bbsak (blackberry swiss army knife) or blackberry master control program. Then I would use bbsak to install the .cod file. If you have not done this before it is very simple. Once you install bbsak, connect your device, and there is a button that says "INSTALL COD." Click on it , simply browse to where you saved the file on your computer and click ok and it will load it onto your phone. I have location awareness set to off in 4.5.2 but you don't need to mess with the permissions and it doesn't interfere with your gps. There are tons of threads on here on how to use bbsak and bb master control program so if you haven't used them it's fairly easy to find them, download them and dive in.
    09-08-10 08:20 PM
    I heard from vlingo support. They simply told me to set location awareness to off. I told them this did not solve it and they said they are looking into it as they know there are issues with specific devices on specific carriers. Hopefully they solve this issue with an update.

FWIW, turning Vlingo Location Awareness Off does seem to work, but the problem reappears after a reboot. If you reboot your BB, you need to "flip" the option- after the reboot, go into Vlingo, turn the location awareness option on, and escape out (confirming the change as you escape out). Then go back in and turn location awareness off again, escape out (once again confirming the change), and GPS should work again until the next reboot.
    09-09-10 10:04 PM

Hey MrTruckincowboy, I found the previous version of vlingo online (version 4.5.2) and I installed the .cod file and it seems to work fine and with no gps issue. This can be a temporary fix until vlingo updates the app. The previous version is working well for me so far. The app file can be downloaded here:

MEGAUPLOAD - The leading online storage and file delivery service

I would back up your version of vlingo (4.5.4) with bbsak (blackberry swiss army knife) or blackberry master control program. Then I would use bbsak to install the .cod file. If you have not done this before it is very simple. Once you install bbsak, connect your device, and there is a button that says "INSTALL COD." Click on it , simply browse to where you saved the file on your computer and click ok and it will load it onto your phone. I have location awareness set to off in 4.5.2 but you don't need to mess with the permissions and it doesn't interfere with your gps. There are tons of threads on here on how to use bbsak and bb master control program so if you haven't used them it's fairly easy to find them, download them and dive in.
    Thanks, I will try this because version 4.5.4 keeps locking down my GPS.
    09-12-10 01:51 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD