Guys, its pretty simple. Lke all VZW phones, gps is locked. This is not a google issue.
    Verizon recently unlocked its gps so that it will work with BB Maps. Thats it. I see there is alot of conjecture, but the bottom line is this is the way VZW runs thier business. If you dont like it, you can go to Sprint or ATT. Other than that, until VZW decides to stop ripping off its customers your SOL.
    12-15-08 09:44 AM
    Guys, its pretty simple. Lke all VZW phones, gps is locked. This is not a google issue.
    Verizon recently unlocked its gps so that it will work with BB Maps. Thats it. I see there is alot of conjecture, but the bottom line is this is the way VZW runs thier business. If you dont like it, you can go to Sprint or ATT. Other than that, until VZW decides to stop ripping off its customers your SOL.
    Oh rearry? Is that why Nav4All works on the Storm just fine?

Go back to sleep now.
    12-15-08 09:48 AM
    Thats odd, cause GPS works with other Apps than just BB Maps, Weather Bug, Trapster... So your post is SOL.
    12-15-08 09:48 AM
    Personally, I think you guys have no understanding about what it is doing. As posted 100 times already, it uses cell tower for approximate location. Which would work fine for weather bug and the rest. If Nav4all works then great. Just hope VZW doesnt find out about it. No way they let you use that for free when they can gauge you for 9.99 a month on VZ Navigator.
    12-15-08 09:55 AM
    Yeah sorry.... you're just completely wrong. I have GPS working with other applications that weren't included with the phone and Google has even come out and said that they are working to correct the problem on their end and that GPS on the Storm will be available in the next releease of GMaps.
    12-15-08 09:57 AM
    Ok. Looking forward to it. It would be a welcome development by VZW.
    12-15-08 10:03 AM
    Really - What a crock!!!

The GPS in the Storm works fine on BBMaps, Trapster, Nav4All, Garmin, BerryVine, WeatherBug and these apps are all working on my storm - Google say they are working on a fix and Verizon have definitely not locked this GPS device (I have 15 corporate devices also. and that was a requirement for me getting them from VZW).

So can people once and for all please quit trying to tell us things that Storm users know not to be true and for the record the latest Curve update also allows the GPS to be used by BBMaps so VZW are slowly getting there across their BB product line.

So for all you none Storm users - THE GPS IN THE STORM IS NOT LOCKED BY VZW

- Wow that feels better

OKAY - Sorry for the outburst, not enough coffee
    12-15-08 10:05 AM
107 ... 345
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD