Sorry, still learning about the menu key and choosing "show all".
    11-21-08 10:13 PM
    thats wrong because every other GPS using program I have downloaded will not send or receive data based on gps.
    So just because you couldn't get it to work, that automatically means that Verizon must have locked it? Not a very compelling argument.
    Ok... this is for all of you doubters...

And actually I am starting to think this might be a firmware bug and not a problem on Google's side. My suspicions started when I noticed that when I try to run a diagnostic on the GPS, the whole device locks up and I have to do a battery pull, yet every other hardware diagnostic test works fine...
    11-21-08 11:16 PM
    How do you run a diagnostic on the Storm's GPS?
    11-21-08 11:53 PM
    YES! GPS on the Storm is able to be used by google maps and thats it! The only third party other then bbmaps and vz nav. It also is able to use gps when your not in verizon service area as long as you have access to gsm network. All of this information is provided by verizon corperate in chico,ca!
    11-22-08 12:00 AM
    correction: if your NOT in a verizon area gps will work with goole maps as long as a gsm network is avail. to get info. if you are in verizon network gps will work with google bb and vz.
    11-22-08 12:03 AM
    How do you run a diagnostic on the Storm's GPS?
    See my other post here
    11-22-08 12:07 AM
    yeah, gps works for google maps. it was off a block for me. i liked it though, and the satellite view was really nice looking and quick loading. the way i understand it is that google maps (and bbmaps) works ONLY with the internal gps (satellite) and that vz navigator uses aGPS (triangulation assisted gps) to get a more precise (or maybe quick?) reading.

now, is the internal gps totally unlocked, like it is for google maps, and bbmaps? as far as i can tell, verizon has blocked it on other apps that can provide voice navigated directions, e.g., amaze. i loaded the app, but it couldn't find the gps...
    11-22-08 12:07 AM
    Blackberry Maps actually works surprisingly well. The GPS finds me quickly and the arrow follows me when I am driving in the car.
    11-22-08 12:08 AM
    YES! GPS on the Storm is able to be used by google maps and thats it! The only third party other then bbmaps and vz nav. It also is able to use gps when your not in verizon service area as long as you have access to gsm network. All of this information is provided by verizon corperate in chico,ca!
    Prove it... Hearsay from a verizon rep is hardly proof of what you are saying... I at least provided a document to back up what I am saying.
    11-22-08 12:08 AM
    Posted this issue in Google Maps Help Group > Discussions > Google Maps for mobile > My Location bugging you? We want to know! Please do the same maybe someone will help sooner.

=========http://preview.tinyurl.com/55x7se==========
    11-22-08 12:21 AM
    Posted this issue in Google Maps Help Group > Discussions > Google Maps for mobile > My Location bugging you? We want to know! Please do the same maybe someone will help sooner.

=========http://preview.tinyurl.com/55x7se==========
    thanks for posting this for us!
    11-22-08 12:23 AM
    I have not tested it on the road yet but along with making sure you have the GPS set to "Location on" also do the following:

1)Options (the icon that looks like a wrench)>
    2)Advanced Options>
    3)Applications>
    4)Google Maps>
    5)then hit your blackberry button (not sure what else to call it, the button that brings up the window that lets you "Close" or "Switch application") and you should see "Edit Permissions" and click it>
    6)then on that screen you should see 3 options (connections, interactions, user data) highlight the option to the right of "Connections" it should say either "allow" "default" or "deny" make sure it is set to "allow">
    7)now, while you have "allow" still highlighted, click the blackberry button again and click "expand">then scroll down to "Location (GPS)" and make sure it is set to "Allow".

Like I said, I have not tested it yet. These instructions are for a Sprint Blackberry Curve 8330 with Sprint's official 4.3 OS (their latest one), but it may work on other models and OS's, not sure since I just have the one. While sitting at home and opening Goggle Maps it seems to use the cell tower location, but I have not tried to use it outside yet, so it may just default to the cell tower method when it doesn't have a good enough GPS signal. Remember, for GPS to work your device must have a clear view of the sky. It should pick up the signal through your car windows just fine, but if you are inside somewhere or under a large roof, overhang, etc... it can't get a signal. Give it a try, I hope this is the answer.
    OK, per my previous posting (that I've included above) google maps does work with GPS. I tested it today. It was actually pretty cool, I had google maps up and told it to find my location. It zeroed right in and if I just moved my phone a few inches in one direction or another, the dot on the map moved. So, follow my directions above and it should work (remember though, I'm on Sprint and using the Curve 8330, not sure if other blackberry's will work with the same instructions)
    11-22-08 07:09 PM
    Thanks for the info, but I still can't get mine to work.
    Has anyone else had luck with it?

Also, I tried to click on "Enable Compatibility Mode" (options/applications/google maps, then click BB button and select "enable compatibility mode) but all it seemed to do was add the keyboard to the screen, which can't be removed. Weird.
    11-22-08 09:34 PM
    I can follow gzen1's steps up to 7. At that point I see the option to allow "Location Data" instead of "Location (GPS) -- which is not even listed.
    Although I have "Location Data" allowed, google maps doesn't seem to be making use of the GPS.
    11-22-08 10:16 PM
    OK, per my previous posting (that I've included above) google maps does work with GPS. I tested it today. It was actually pretty cool, I had google maps up and told it to find my location. It zeroed right in and if I just moved my phone a few inches in one direction or another, the dot on the map moved. So, follow my directions above and it should work (remember though, I'm on Sprint and using the Curve 8330, not sure if other blackberry's will work with the same instructions)
    THANKS! appreciated!
    11-22-08 10:17 PM
    well according to people, it is a problem with the google people which means that the version they have out isnt compatible with the blackberry STORM. So if the GPS really is unlocked it wouldnt matter what a sprint blackberry curve would do.

However, I did troubleshoot this at google (as well as e-mail them and go on their blogs) and it told you how to find out if your GPS is compatible.

It said to go into google maps, press menu, press about, and there will be a 'NA' next to "myl" if it's not compatible

I did that and there were a bunch of numbers (however not lat and long) not the 'NA' which I guess means it is communicating, just not understanding
    11-22-08 10:23 PM
    My Google maps works just off a little.
    11-22-08 10:27 PM
    Blackberry Maps actually works surprisingly well. The GPS finds me quickly and the arrow follows me when I am driving in the car.
    Same here!
    11-22-08 10:31 PM
    I'm not 100% positive but I'm pretty sure that Google Maps is using the FULL aGPS system. It is locking on to my position WAY too fast to be standard GPS.

If it's not, then the antenna in the Storm is better than my $500 Aviation GPS because it is locking on FAST.
    11-22-08 10:38 PM
    I'm not 100% positive but I'm pretty sure that Google Maps is using the FULL aGPS system. It is locking on to my position WAY too fast to be standard GPS.

If it's not, then the antenna in the Storm is better than my $500 Aviation GPS because it is locking on FAST.
    So, Cap'n, how did you get Google Maps to work? Elfen magic?
    11-22-08 10:41 PM
    So if your apps are only showing half screen you have to disable compatibility mode. options>applications>highlight the app>hit menu and disable compatibility mode.
    11-22-08 10:43 PM
    So, Cap'n, how did you get Google Maps to work? Elfen magic?
    It's not working for you? I can't get BB Maps to work... but Google Maps works fine.
    Where you actually able to get it to get satellite lock? Or was it just using the cell tower triangulation thing? Mine says GPS Unavailable?
    Honestly I didn't do anything weird to it. I installed the Google app and every time I launch it, it locks on within 5 seconds. MUCH fast than it would have with GPS alone.
    11-22-08 10:45 PM
    It's not working for you? I can't get BB Maps to work... but Google Maps works fine.
    As far as I know, the rest of the Storm-owning world has the opposite problem! Maybe you've got a bizzaro-Storm

Is your location aiding enabled?

Maybe it would be helpful to hear how you have your GPS and Google Maps app settings "set" right now.
    11-22-08 10:46 PM
107 1234 ...
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD