How do we get Google Maps to use GPS?
    11-21-08 09:37 AM
    I don't have mine yet (Tuesday) but would assume it's like all other Blackberries I have had. The GPS by default is set to "911 Only" and you have to turn it on for other apps to use.

Something like Options/Advanced Options/GPS. Set GPS Services to "Location On."
    11-21-08 09:52 AM
    I don't have mine yet (Tuesday) but would assume it's like all other Blackberries I have had. The GPS by default is set to "911 Only" and you have to turn it on for other apps to use.

Something like Options/Advanced Options/GPS. Set GPS Services to "Location On."
    Tried that, no dice.
    11-21-08 09:55 AM
    on a cold start it can take up to 15 minutes to acquire satellites.
    11-21-08 10:02 AM
    It's not unlocked for Google Maps people... BBMaps and VZNav only.
    11-21-08 10:02 AM
    I have not tested it on the road yet but along with making sure you have the GPS set to "Location on" also do the following:

1)Options (the icon that looks like a wrench)>
    2)Advanced Options>
    3)Applications>
    4)Google Maps>
    5)then hit your blackberry button (not sure what else to call it, the button that brings up the window that lets you "Close" or "Switch application") and you should see "Edit Permissions" and click it>
    6)then on that screen you should see 3 options (connections, interactions, user data) highlight the option to the right of "Connections" it should say either "allow" "default" or "deny" make sure it is set to "allow">
    7)now, while you have "allow" still highlighted, click the blackberry button again and click "expand">then scroll down to "Location (GPS)" and make sure it is set to "Allow".

Like I said, I have not tested it yet. These instructions are for a Sprint Blackberry Curve 8330 with Sprint's official 4.3 OS (their latest one), but it may work on other models and OS's, not sure since I just have the one. While sitting at home and opening Goggle Maps it seems to use the cell tower location, but I have not tried to use it outside yet, so it may just default to the cell tower method when it doesn't have a good enough GPS signal. Remember, for GPS to work your device must have a clear view of the sky. It should pick up the signal through your car windows just fine, but if you are inside somewhere or under a large roof, overhang, etc... it can't get a signal. Give it a try, I hope this is the answer.
    11-21-08 06:35 PM
    I am using the google maps but it seemss the gps is off by about 1 mile always.I just switched it to lcation on.
    11-21-08 06:46 PM
    Nope. I think google needs to update the maps for the storm.
    11-21-08 07:06 PM
    Well mine works and aquires the gps however just like the curve it is off a bit. However both times I have been indoors. Gps works off of multiple satellites the more you are reading the more accurate it is.
    11-21-08 08:08 PM
    do you guys get a full screen using google maps? i only get half screen and i cant seem to get rid of the keyboard...using the BB button hiding the keyboard is not an option on there
    11-21-08 08:34 PM
    do you guys get a full screen using google maps? i only get half screen and i cant seem to get rid of the keyboard...using the BB button hiding the keyboard is not an option on there
    Try swiping down from the top of the keyboard to the bottom of the screen... Should hide the keyboard no matter what app you are in... The reverse should make it reappear
    11-21-08 08:43 PM
    been trying that too..the map keeps paning but the keyboard will not go away...
    11-21-08 08:46 PM
    on the storm, google maps is using triangulation, not gps. gps is still slaved to bbmaps and vznav only.
    11-21-08 08:49 PM
    Right, so lets stop complaining.
    11-21-08 08:50 PM
    Anyone try Windows Live Search? I downloaded it and it won't even run!
    11-21-08 08:51 PM
    It's not unlocked for Google Maps people... BBMaps and VZNav only.
    Not true... The problem is on Google's end... the GPS is NOT locked.
    11-21-08 08:52 PM
    Can anyone download and try the tellme app from microsoft?

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    11-21-08 08:55 PM
    Someone should email google or google group blog and tell them they need to support the Storm.
    11-21-08 08:58 PM
    so does anyone elses google map take up the whole screen?
    11-21-08 09:07 PM
    thats wrong because every other GPS using program I have downloaded will not send or receive data based on gps.
    11-21-08 09:16 PM
    I haven't tried yet

(praying)

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    11-21-08 09:19 PM
    BBmaps works pretty good in my opinion.
    11-21-08 09:26 PM
    Just got a storm today and I'm still new with the Blackberry. (had a Curve for 3 weeks before exchanging it for the Storm today). How do I download Blackberry Maps. When I try to do it from the internet it says my device is not supported. Any ideas?
    11-21-08 09:48 PM
    BB Maps was already there under the Applications folder.
    11-21-08 09:54 PM
    I'll put a post on Google Forums, maybe the Gogglemen will play nice with Verizon for the sake of public need
    11-21-08 10:05 PM
107 123 ...
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD