Hey guys, I've read before that GPS chips cannot acquire a strong satellite signal under solid surfaces (ie. rooftops, car roofs) so they need to be under direct sky or window to acquire a lock.

Is this the case, because my portable Mio navigator will never get satellites indoors and my Bold won't either. Even if I'm sitting in my drivers seat, the gps lock-on will be wavering in and out from GPS to wide-area cell triangulation. And I think its a little frustrating/goofy to hold my phone out towards the dash/window to drive properly.

Just curious about your guy's experiences with GPS and their strength/dependability. Perhaps its cuz Im on Tmobile.
    01-10-09 05:56 AM
    Hmmm I've got an unlocked Bold on tmobile uk and last night I was on the train and tried my gps out to see if it would...opened up bbmaps and within 10 seconds or so, it had found 10 satellites and I had a lock...bear in mind that I was on a train and it was doing about 125mph according to bbmaps. But really u need to be outside to get a lock but for me last night, travelling on a train doing 125mph...well I was quite simply amazed at how fast I got a lock. It could be a faulty gps chip in your unit, I tried amazegps and found it very slow so I got rid of it. Googlemaps works perfectly fine as well.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    01-10-09 07:00 AM
    Well yeah I mean I do get a good signal usually, but I have to place it on my driver side window to get it to work well, else having it in my palm/lap usually loses my location.
    01-10-09 01:39 PM
    I've been on the train and in the car and haven't had any problem.

When I'm indoors though I can't get a lock with the GPS at all and I understand that's normal.

It could be the OS too. I think after I updated my OS I thought it caught satellites better, but that's just a guess.
    01-10-09 02:08 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD