I have a 9530 (5.0.0.230) unlocked to work on Airtel India. While all the other services work fine on GSM, GPS has steadfastly refused to work. I read all the threads on the forum and from what I understood, I needed to have a PDE IP and Port number to get the GPS on the 9530 to work, which is not provided by the carriers here.

All along if I used Google Maps, including the new version 3.0.2, or BB Maps, I would get an error message, "GPS not found". And for some reason even the regular cell phone tower triangulation would not work! Which was quite irritating since I could get some help with a 1000 meter radius on my old trusty 8100.

Then I figured that I don't really need a PDE IP / Port to get GPS to work. So long as the GPS receiver inside my Storm was capable of receiving signals, it could function as an autonomous standalone GPS receiver and while it might take a few minutes extra to get the GPS signal, it still might work without the PDE IP / Port numbers.

So, here is what I did. And it worked. After 24 hours and repeated battery pulls, still holding.

I went into the Storm Engineering Screens (search Crackberry.com and you will get the relevant links) > Radio Engineering Screens (Multi) > GPS > GPS Options > Operation Mode. It was set to MS based. I changed the option to Standalone, Saved and exited through the E Screens. I did battery pull and to my amazement, BB Maps actually picked up the satellites. I tried AmazeGPS and when open to sky, it connected to satellites almost immediately. I tried Google Maps and it connected almost immediately.

Incidentally, for a free service, AmazeGPS is amazing. It makes my Storm a full fledged GPS.

Now, 24 hours later, I have GPS switched on (Mobile Network is set to Global) and the GPS signals seems to hold so long as I am outdoors!

Just thought I could share the info with others since there didn't seem to be much help around for users on carriers outside US.
    10-07-09 08:13 AM
    glad to hear it worked for you!!! Wish my Verizon Curve would be able to get this worked out already... I mean if they're going to be partnering with Google Voice and stuff.. can we just unlock GPS already?! geez...
    10-07-09 02:35 PM
    sounds great i will try that
    11-02-09 12:59 PM
    I tried this, mine was already set to stand alone. After checking and saving settings, a battery pull, I went to bb maps, it found 9 satalites, but I could not generate a route for any directions that I entered.
    11-18-09 12:42 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD