I was wondering is anyone can tell me if the GPS unit inside the 8530 is dependent upon cell service in any way?
    03-26-10 10:39 PM
    Yes, it appears to be. Verizon 8530 users have reported it locked, meaning it depends on a signal from the carrier to function. I don't know whether Alltel locks the 8530 or not. Try running the internal self test with your network connection on, then again with it off. That will tell you whether the carrier is assisting the GPS. To run the self-test, go to Options / Status and type test. Select the GPS from the menu of items to test. If it works with the network connection OFF, then the carrier is not assisting it and it is not dependent on your cell service.
    03-26-10 10:57 PM
    FYI to USC users GPS isn't locked. Tests passed for network off.

Posted from my BlackBerry using BerryBlab
    03-27-10 12:47 AM
    Thank You Jeff. I should have worded my question differently. I already knew my GPS wasn't locked out like Verizon.. but rather could I turn off the cell network and still have GPS functionality.

I ran the test as you posted and it appears that it is fully functional without having to have my network turned on which is exactly what I want to do on trail trips.

Thanks!
    03-27-10 01:53 AM
    While your GPS will still work with no cell signal, you won't be able to download maps. Two apps that give you preloaded maps are TrekBuddy and Mobile GMaps. These are the only two mapping apps that I know of for the BlackBerry that don't use real-time data. I haven't used either.

Seven.07: Thanks for running the test and posting the results for USCellular.
    03-27-10 07:00 AM
    Maps aren't a concern for me. I'm only interested in running GPS tracks and routes in the backcountry of Montana.

Did some tests on a 9 mile hike through a canyon this weekend and it worked beautifully. GPSed is a great app and this with the 8530 will replace my DeLorme PN-20 handheld unit.

It would be nice if there were a quality app with affordable USGS Quad Topo maps. Topo Explorer wants 30 bucks a state which is a little ridiculous.
    03-29-10 10:06 AM
    If you're going rough country hiking with a BlackBerry, you probably want to invest in a robust carrying case / holster. BlackBerry devices are not as durable as your PN-20, and are susceptible to severe damage from even a small amount of water or sweat intrusion. If you find a carrying case you like, you might consider reporting on it. I'd also be interested to know your battery life solutions. Did you carry spare batteries? Or use a solar recharger?
    03-29-10 03:18 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD